Suggestions needed for what to do next

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Tucker has completed puppy, intermediate and advanced training from the local Petsmart. Both of us really liked working with her, but she is not able to give any additional instruction past the advanced training they offer. I am looking for suggestions on what to do next. Once he is a little older (Only 10 months now) I plan to move through CGC and Pet Therapy training. My ultimate goal is to be able to bring him into the classroom as a therapy dog through a program similar to PAWS for Reading (I am a middle school teacher). I need something to keep Tucker Attentive. The trainer suggested Rally or Agility training, but I have struggled to find a place nearby that is offering classes anytime soon. Has anyone done any advanced training with their bully? I think Agility would be fun especially with a bully.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Tucker has completed puppy, intermediate and advanced training from the local Petsmart. Both of us really liked working with her, but she is not able to give any additional instruction past the advanced training they offer. I am looking for suggestions on what to do next. Once he is a little older (Only 10 months now) I plan to move through CGC and Pet Therapy training. My ultimate goal is to be able to bring him into the classroom as a therapy dog through a program similar to PAWS for Reading (I am a middle school teacher). I need something to keep Tucker Attentive. The trainer suggested Rally or Agility training, but I have struggled to find a place nearby that is offering classes anytime soon. Has anyone done any advanced training with their bully? I think Agility would be fun especially with a bully.

That is a wonderful goal. My boy may not be very attentive but he is very calm. Once the children settled into the regularity of him being in the classroom and once he settles I think that is wonderful. Maybe start taking him with you once in a while my twins are in middle school and I wish they offered a program such as this. Sometimes with special needs children an animal is the perfect way to reach them. Now to figure out the best course of action. My suggestion would be I think your the best person to train him for what you need patience repetition and perseverance and treats healthy treats. I would go with fresh veggies and fruits and over the top praise.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Wow! And kudos to you and your Tucker!!! My Tucker is so darn WILD, 10 months old as well. We are in class right now, but I don't think this trainer likes bulldogs, last week I just walked in the door, and she says"He has an attitude today!" I replied "No, this is how he is!" So I am impressed with your Tucker, good job!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Wonderful job! [MENTION=9117]SMeyer13[/MENTION] Since you have been through the training-why don't you "agility" train him yourself. You can set up your own courses in your yard. When I was showing my mammoth jack-I made my own obstacles,so he would be ready for shows.. You can buy those nylon fold up tunnels(for kids) cheap. You can use step in posts, from the tractor supply for "in and out" running, you can make a small bridge with a couple of cinder blocks and wood. You can do things "on the cheap" and do it yourself! There is probably an Agility video on uTube somewhere, that you can watch-or purchase one-if you wanna' DO it-it CAN be done!! Good Luck! When I "was young" I found a way! Now-I need to be shot...........:grammy:

OP
SMeyer13

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Tucker is still too young in my opinion to handle a day in the classroom. I am hoping around this time next year, once he is older and fixed it will be an option. While I do not teach special education, that is my plan. I hope to coteach special ed inclusion and students who do not qualify for special ed. I look at using Tucker as a great motivator and bridge if students don't like reading out loud to classmates.

My trainer told me the first day of puppy classes that I shouldnt be discouraged if his breeds temperament comes out and he is resistant. Within two classes she had changed her opinion on bulldogs entirely. By the end of our advanced she shared that she would not want to own a bully ( she's a big greyhound fan and owner) she definitely likes the breed now.

As for treats I am slowly trying to transition from a dependency on treats. He, like most bullies, is food motivated. I only give him the Blue Wilderness treats as they are high quality.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Congrats to Tucker!!! I have done the PetSmart classes for my dogs, but I took Winston to see a private trainer and to be honest I thought it worked out better. The class size was smaller, and she was able to tailor her class to how well the pups were doing. He learned WAY more, and she even had him on a skateboard. Do you have private trainers in your area?!!

OP
SMeyer13

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Congrats to Tucker!!! I have done the PetSmart classes for my dogs, but I took Winston to see a private trainer and to be honest I thought it worked out better. The class size was smaller, and she was able to tailor her class to how well the pups were doing. He learned WAY more, and she even had him on a skateboard. Do you have private trainers in your area?!!

I was fortunate his puppy class had 3 dogs in it, his intermediate had one other dog that only showed up half the time and his advanced was just him. The trainer downloaded a copy of the requirements for the pet therapy and we began using those requirements for his advanced classes.

I could go the private training route; however, I am comfortable strengthening his obedience at home by myself. When the time comes for his CGC test I might do a quick brush up with a private trainer.

OP
SMeyer13

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Congratulations to you and Tucker. I took Charley to pet smart at 8 months and we didn't last 3 weeks. The trainer at the time wasn't a good match for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand completely, I passed 2 petsmarts on my way to the location where he did his classes. The trainers at both of the closer petsmarts did not appear eager to have a bulldog in class, so I passed on them.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I mostly trained Sheldon with over the top praise and now he just does whatever we tell him. He IS just like the kids. I have a daughter that is ADHD with sensory problems and I have a friend her son has autism and my niece in law teaches special needs children specifically autistic children.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.