Obedience Shows

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Not sure if this would get more traction here or under the training sub forum. Next week is Tucker's final advanced obedience class at pet smart. He has done awesome and has repeatedly impressed the trainer at how quickly he picks things up. As his classes are winding down, I am looking for something else to challenge him. My plan is to get his CGC certificate (local club is not giving test until April - May) and eventually his therapy dog license (want to use him in the classroom with me to motivate students). Until he is able to do this, I was thinking of preparing him for obedience shows. The local club offers shows every once and a while. Has anyone done this with their bully before? Looking at the AKC website for requirements, it does not look like anything a bully would necessarily struggle with (granted they need to be having a good day):

NOVICE – For the dog just getting started in obedience. Exercises include:

• Heel on Leash and Figure Eight – show whether the dog has learned to watch its handler and adjust its pace to stay with the handler.
  • Heel Free – done off leash.
  • Stand for Examination – is of great benefit when the dog needs hands-on care by a veterinarian.
  • Recall – provides the handler with the ability to call the dog and get an immediate response at all times.
  • Long Sit (1 minute) – allows the handler to have control of the dog when visitors come to the home.
  • Long Down (3 minutes) – dog must remain in a down position.

This video is from a show in 2011 with a bulldog doing one of the more advanced levels of obedience http://youtu.be/BrhP_UsFv2E

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
cool stuff.... never heard of obedience shows. best of luck with Tucker, love to see him strut his stuff

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.