Harness question and general training question/ramble

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I just found out today that my mom will be visiting next month! woo!
She lives in Canada and comes out here about once a year, and hasn't yet met Winslow. I am VERY excited, but also a little nervous. :eek: She can just be a tough critic, especially where it comes to dogs as she is a court prosecutor and deals with lots of bites. Not a fun thing to do, but she also gets to give a-holes nice fat fines when they leave their dogs in the car etc. :evilhaha::nonono::madchair: (sorry all those smilies were relevant. could not only choose one)

Anyway! I've been wanting to get him a new harness (he currently only has one of those seatbelt harness things - not very good for walks but does the job for which it was intended), but I never know which will work best for us!
He is an easy walker.... UNTIL... he sees a friend he must greet, whether human or otherwise. But apart from that, nothing too serious. He still occasionally tries to bite his leash but it's usually easy to correct, and hopefully won't even be reachable with a well-fitting harness. But, like I said, he's pretty good with walking. Just the pulling when he's super excited, and coincidentally becomes deaf. :facepalm2:

That said.....
-The two I'm most considering are the EZ walk (although now I'm confused because I thought whatever I saw yesterday that had that name, attached on the back rather than chest) and Freedom harness..

-At the bully bash in Asbury Park last fall I met someone who had their dog in a harness that seemed to apply the same deal a Martingale collar uses. When she pulled, the harness tightened. I can't find the name of that thing anywhere, and haven't seen one in the store! Does anyone use something like that, and find it very useful? Would you recommend it in this case?

Thoughts? Other recommendations? Just get a basic harness and work a little harder on his manners?
The owner of the store I go to is very helpful, but also an excellent saleswoman. I expect I will walk out with two harnesses..... But they better be the ones I need! :p

Anyway, I'll probably add to this post as I find more things which I decide make me insecure haha. Always good to start somewhere. :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have the easy walker for wheni take Bnaks places I need he to be on best behavior.... It snaps at the belly/ side and the leash connects on the front of the chest under chin. I also have a standard step I too. That I use just when we are out and casual walking. A lot of people like the Kong harness too

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I have the easy walker for wheni take Bnaks places I need he to be on best behavior.... It snaps at the belly/ side and the leash connects on the front of the chest under chin. I also have a standard step I too. That I use just when we are out and casual walking. A lot of people like the Kong harness too
I know so many people who love the kong ones.. but my god do they ever confuse me!! Haha I don't know why. I looked at two yesterday and couldn't get either on him! I had customers stopping to help me too!

And now I wonder if the easy walker would just beg him to bite his leash.. hmm. Back to being confused! Haha.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know so many people who love the kong ones.. but my god do they ever confuse me!! Haha I don't know why. I looked at two yesterday and couldn't get either on him! I had customers stopping to help me too!

And now I wonder if the easy walker would just beg him to bite his leash.. hmm. Back to being confused! Haha.

There are some, I could never figure out too..... I get it. The easy walker, Banks can not get the leash, it puts her in a strange position if she try's to grab it

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh thank goodness! It looks like a great harness but that would be an easy deal breaker.

Okay I think right now that one is in the lead. :p

Haha and I'm glad you get it with the Kong harness.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Well I just bought him a new harness. Now I know why I couldn't figure out why the easy walker was confusing me! The one I looked at was totally different! :lol:
I tried on the one I saw - the EZY Dog, and I like it a lot. It's not a training harness, but so far it does a good job. I'm a little miffed (at myself, for being an idiot and not examining!) to have already found a spot that's slightly torn. Naturally I found it as soon as I pulled all the tags off. I don't think it's an issue, it's just the cover but come on!

I have a Freedom harness coming in for me next week, which I may or may not get. I think the ezy dog will be his everyday kinda thing, but I'll try it out in exciting places and see if this will do, or if I should get the freedom harness. :)

some crappy pictures:

and here's the site: http://store.ezydog.com/quickfit-harness/

I hope this is a good thing for him. The chest piece does come up kind of high, so it may not work after all. Does that look like an issue to anyone?

minavag

Dec 31, 2013
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
Bully
I think it will work ok.the chest piece you mentioned doesn't seem to be a problem with his breath

mikesbandit

Feb 21, 2014
I just found out today that my mom will be visiting next month! woo!
She lives in Canada and comes out here about once a year, and hasn't yet met Winslow. I am VERY excited, but also a little nervous. :eek: She can just be a tough critic, especially where it comes to dogs as she is a court prosecutor and deals with lots of bites. Not a fun thing to do, but she also gets to give a-holes nice fat fines when they leave their dogs in the car etc. :evilhaha::nonono::madchair: (sorry all those smilies were relevant. could not only choose one)

Anyway! I've been wanting to get him a new harness (he currently only has one of those seatbelt harness things - not very good for walks but does the job for which it was intended), but I never know which will work best for us!
He is an easy walker.... UNTIL... he sees a friend he must greet, whether human or otherwise. But apart from that, nothing too serious. He still occasionally tries to bite his leash but it's usually easy to correct, and hopefully won't even be reachable with a well-fitting harness. But, like I said, he's pretty good with walking. Just the pulling when he's super excited, and coincidentally becomes deaf. :facepalm2:

That said.....
-The two I'm most considering are the EZ walk (although now I'm confused because I thought whatever I saw yesterday that had that name, attached on the back rather than chest) and Freedom harness..

-At the bully bash in Asbury Park last fall I met someone who had their dog in a harness that seemed to apply the same deal a Martingale collar uses. When she pulled, the harness tightened. I can't find the name of that thing anywhere, and haven't seen one in the store! Does anyone use something like that, and find it very useful? Would you recommend it in this case?

Thoughts? Other recommendations? Just get a basic harness and work a little harder on his manners?
The owner of the store I go to is very helpful, but also an excellent saleswoman. I expect I will walk out with two harnesses..... But they better be the ones I need! :p

Anyway, I'll probably add to this post as I find more things which I decide make me insecure haha. Always good to start somewhere. :D

I bought the most beautiful (and functional) harness ever at fordogtrainers.com

All leather, support handle. You actually submit the breed of dog, neck and chest measurements. The harness is shorter to reflect the bulldog's body type. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393035537.546779.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393035571.102873.jpg

mikesbandit

Feb 21, 2014
Here are some more views. The chest plate and top are fully padded and the leather reminds me of high quality saddle leather. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393035990.461837.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393036019.271276.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393036040.431604.jpg

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I have tried two different Kong Harness types. I really did not care for the one with two buckles on it (it was a solid color not color + black) that one lasted all of 3 weeks and I went back to the other harness I had. I really like the Kong Step In Harness with one buckle. It is really easy once you get the hang of it. My only concern is that is loosens on its own at times. I'm not sure if mine is just wearing out or what, but I have to re-adjust it every other time I put it on Tucker (he is definitely not getting smaller). I like that it has the mesh chest plate on it, so if he pulls a little it spreads out the pressure. It even has a car buckle that comes with it you can use, I took mine off when I got it and have never used it though.

That harness above looks awesome though and might be something I look into once Tucker fills out a little more. It could be his fancy harness (he isn't spoiled I swear).

mikesbandit

Feb 21, 2014
I have tried two different Kong Harness types. I really did not care for the one with two buckles on it (it was a solid color not color + black) that one lasted all of 3 weeks and I went back to the other harness I had. I really like the Kong Step In Harness with one buckle. It is really easy once you get the hang of it. My only concern is that is loosens on its own at times. I'm not sure if mine is just wearing out or what, but I have to re-adjust it every other time I put it on Tucker (he is definitely not getting smaller). I like that it has the mesh chest plate on it, so if he pulls a little it spreads out the pressure. It even has a car buckle that comes with it you can use, I took mine off when I got it and have never used it though.

That harness above looks awesome though and might be something I look into once Tucker fills out a little more. It could be his fancy harness (he isn't spoiled I swear).

I tried the Kong harness as well, constantly fiddling with it. The website I mentioned has a number of styles, even heavy duty nylon harnesses for 29 dollars, I believe.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
My goodness that is a beautiful harness [MENTION=11194]mikesbandit[/MENTION] !! Thanks!

Well our walks seem so much better with the new harness... I'm still chalking it up to luck, but he's been pretty great on it. Still always mopey when the harness is on, and we walk in the opposite direction of the car... haha

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.