monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Honestly I don't have a good reason for not wanting to use a crate. I don't like the idea of keeping the puppy confined to such a small space forcing him to hold it. I just feel guilty. Plus I don't have any idea where I even put a crate big enough for a full grown bulldog lol

After today, I have a feeling I might be changing my mind pretty soon! lol

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=10901]monkey10262[/MENTION] I feel like you will have a better idea on the best way to housebreak once the pup arrives. I'm all about crate training, bought a crate for curly and we only used it once because it just didn't work for him. Crate training is the easiest and quickest way to train housebreak but again not all dogs are the same.

Fortunately you have a lot of great people here who are always ready to help and guide you as your pup grows. Please keep us posted on how things go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I crate trained and it took about 4 months until I would say he was fully potty trained. I can't remember the last time I locked him in the cage. Now when I am away, I confine him to the kitchen. When we are home, he just follows us around anyway. So I would definitely start with the crate training and before you know it, he can be free and clear of the cage just like you want

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
It's been almost a week and I haven't used the crate! I'm cheating though.. I'm using a tall laundry basket to put him in when we run out. He's been sleeping in bed with us and during the day when I'm home I have him on a leash tied to the coffee table since I spend most of my time in the living room with my son. :)

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
I am a stay at home mother to, and I crate all of our dogs. As others have said its a sanctuary for them and keeps them safe and from destroying household items. I also have curious ID twins so it comes in handy when feeding or when I am busy with the younger children or doing household necessities. I wish you lot's of luck w/out using a crate.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I didn't crate train Ruckus from day one either. I know a lot of people say the first night is the best time to start getting them used to sleeping in their crate, but I don't think we even put the crate together until the second day we had him. He slept in the bedroom with us and I had to get up once during the night to take him out because he was too young to hold it all night. I never used puppy pads because I thought it would encourage him to go in the house. I was working from home when I got Ruckus, so I potty trained him by taking him out after he drank anything, ate anything, played hard, or at least once an hour -- but as he got a little older I started taking him out less frequently. If you're going to let him roam without the crate, I suggest putting a bell on the door you use to take him out and ringing it when you take him to potty. I did this and now Ruckus rings his bell whenever he needs to be let out. I did eventually crate train him; I started by just making his crate an inviting space and coaxing him in with treats and toys when the door was open. Then, I started putting him in there and closing the door for small amounts of time when I was in the room, and then I started leaving him alone for short periods of time, and so on. He doesn't mind his crate at all and sometimes he just goes in there to sleep. We let him roam the living room when we're not home and he never has accidents (he just turned one), so we don't use the crate much at home, but I found it really useful the few times repairmen have needed to be in our home just to keep him out of the way and safe, or when we travel he likes to nap in his crate and take some toys there because he knows that space is his. Good luck -- and post some pictures of the puppy!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I didnt crate train Lilly -but i use kitchen baby gate to keep them in it when we have visitors or i had to go out -she have full run of the house for few good months now ,but we move them into the kitchen at night ,as they got used to sleep in it .in the day time they sleep all over the place (and their bed in the living room is most of the time empty ;-)
I made sure my house is puppy proofed -you be surprised what they can find ,no there was nothing within reach ,no wires no decorations that could be pulled or chewed

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I do have bells on the door. I had them all nice and ready for when we brought Bear home :) Honestly, things are going pretty good. I put him in the laundry basket (it's more of a giant bucket, it'about two feet in diameter and about two feet tall) at night now, and we upgraded to the playpen for when we go out. I put a puppy pad, a few toys, and a bowl of water in there for him. He knows to pee on the pad if he has to go. If we can't keep an eye on him he gets tied to the coffee table. He only goes in the house if we let him wander, which is usually when I'm taking my shoes off at the door after bringing him inside. My son just turned 1 so I want him and Bear to learn to trust each other. Ethan likes to give kisses and share his toys, Bear likes to sit on Ethan's lap. Having little ones isn't a reason to crate :) I've been playing around with Bear while he eats to try and show him that I am allowed to take his food but I will give it back. He knows how to sit and he loves to nap on the couch all day long! The first few days were rough but now that we have a better understanding of each other, things are working out :)

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Dogs are den dwelling animals. They like crates and it keeps them safe when you can't be with them. I strongly advise the use of a crate especially if you are a first time bully owner.

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
I got a crate for my new puppy, is it too big. I only paid £10 for it. Obviously I am gonna get a nice smaller snuggly bed to go in it
qeje5aty.jpg

❤️🐶

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
We have a crate for each our dogs but removed the doors so they can never be locked in. It is true, they love their crates and sleep in them all day when we are away. I have never locked them up in a crate though, I usually just have the crates in a big space, like the kitchen and use a baby gate to prevent the dogs from roaming the house when nobody is home.

Members online

No members online now.