Aggression / adjusting / or playing?

LayLaysMama

Nov 17, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
Good morning! I have had my English Bulldog Layla for a little over a year. When we got her we also had a female Golden Retriever who was her best friend. My golden passed away in October and we decided to get Layla a new friend this past week. An 8 week old male English Bulldog we have named Sargent Ruger. We got him this past Thursday. Layla seems to be ok with him most of the time, but when he is very wound up I am not sure if she is being aggressive, attempting dominance or just playing. They will run around and chase each other but my confusion comes in as to whether it is aggression or not when Layla paws him to the ground. She will lift her big paw up and push him to the ground. She occasionally snarls, but other times he can bite her ears and wrinkles and she doesn't react. She won't lay down to play with him, she always tries to stand over him and/or lay on top of him. She doesn't growl if he tries to eat her food, and I'm being very strict about teaching him which bowl is his and which is hers. She has never bit him, but she has snapped in his direction a few times. I can easily distract her from him by saying her name. If he has a toy she will stand by him and bark at him, but she doesn't try to take it. She will go outside at the same time as him and let him do his business while she does hers. If he's sleeping she's not concerned with him. Matter of fact she will lay about a foot from him and sleep as well. If I'm paying attention to him, she will come up to me but she never postures or growls at him at that time. If I'm loving on her he will come up and bite at her and she doesn't react other than looking at him. The only time she seems like she may be aggressive is when he really wants to play and she slaps and him and jumps over him. So what do you think? Is this a recipe for disaster or just adjusting?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It really sounds like she's showing him who's the boss. Not aggression but more of a dominance thing which is totally natural. The way you've described it, it sounds like they're really getting used to each other and she's going to be fine. I would love to see pictures of those 2! :welcome: to EBN!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree it's not aggression. When my two play it sounds like they are killing each other. They paw at each other, roll around on top of each other and then the sneak attack where one jumps the other from behind. It is all normal bully behavior.

OP
L

LayLaysMama

Nov 17, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
image.jpg

Here are the babies this morning. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sounds like she is being very good with him. Sometimes they forget how much THEY aggravated the other dog(s) when they were in the "shark" mode. All of a sudden it's "Homey don't play that!" It sounds like she is showing him a little dominance-but in a kind way. She may just be tired of his playing/biting, and trying to tell him it's time to quit!, Puppy teeth hurt, and the older ones just get tired of it after awhile. I would let her "discipline" him, but tell her "easy, be nice, he's a baby dog." When you see that SHE is tired of playing, and he will not quit-you might crate him for awhile-let him take a nap. Sometimes puppies get over-stimulated when they are tired. It sounds like she is patient with him-and doing very well-so she needs a break sometimes, so she will not wind up hating him. Othe r than that- it sounds like she is doing very well with him.
Crating is very important to teach a pup-but never use it as punishment. Give him a nylabone, or something to chew on(that he can't swallow) while he is in crate.

- - - Updated - - -

They are two cuties! Congratulations!

Last edited:
OP
L

LayLaysMama

Nov 17, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
Thank you for the replies! Layla has always loved other dogs outside of the house but this is the first time we've brought another into what has always been her home. Layla just turned 1 on December 4th and we even got a tiny little kitten in December that she adjusted to quickly. I'm hoping it will be the same with Ruger. :)

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
They are both beautiful !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow, they are both so darn cute! I agree with the others, she is teaching him the pack order and letting him know the boundaries.

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
Very cute♡

Chubby♡

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Beautiful pair. If it would've been aggression, she wouldn't have been letting him do anything around her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.