Help Needed! At my wits end...

Brandi Peden

Feb 8, 2014
I'm exhausted! Brooklyn our Bull Dog is one we came upon by accident. Somebody was getting rid of her because they couldn't handle her. They had three other dogs, two cats and three kids. We took in Brook. When we got her she was afraid of everything, super nervous around other people-especially kids. Well, now she won't even go near another dog without snarling, growling. She bit a kid today. And her fears seem to be getting worse.

Im not not sure what to do next...she bit a kid. No blood, barely a mark...but she bit a kid. Do I try and find her a trainer? Do I put her down? Ideas? Tips?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It sounds as if she is very unsocial and very afraid. #1 . Keep her away from kids. Her fear is stemming from some sort of trauma that she faced in her prior life. Yes...she needs training. She can be rehabilitated.....but you have to be willing to do the work. Bulldogs are such an awesome breed....but they are like small children. They need to be nurtured and supervised at all times.

Others will be along that will have better tips for you. Take care and keep us updated. It will be worth it!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, sorry to hear you're having problems:( Please don't put her down:*( I think a trainer can help you. In October 2010 me and my husband rescued two bulldogs Joey and Frasier... this is Frasier on the picture.

Frasier.jpg

He's the most beautiful boy I've ever seen. In the beginning he was fine and I loved him, I still do. I cuddled him, I sat with him in the nights when he was ill, he was my boy. He was funny and loving. Then one day he snapped when I took his bed, he bit me quite bad on my hand:gloom: and from there it just got worse and worse. He fought with our other male bulldog, he starred me out and cornered me barking at me. I was seriously scared. We hired a trainer and it got better:) but then my husband got sent away for work weeks at the time and Frasier started dominating me again to the point I was scared to be in my own house. I called the trainer one day crying like a baby cos I could not live like this anymore. It was one of the most bittersweet moments of my life when he said he'll adopt him from us. I was so happy he got the home and care he deserved but I was so sad to let him go. I'm crying typing this, I still miss the good times we had, but I know where he is now is what he needs and deserves. We go visit him once a year, we bring him a new bed for the winter and some treats. He's himself but different, he's not dominant, not aggressive, he walk in public without a leash and random people can pet him. He's at ease:)

I'm not saying you have to give her up... I just couldn't handle the situation by myself. I had just moved from Sweden to South Africa, my husband was away for long periods of time, I had nobody around me to help me and we had other dogs who's safety I also had to consider. Plus some other crap situations related to my husbands family:( It was just all to much.

Sorry about all the personal info:ashamed: I just want to show that no matter how bad things look there is always a way:) I hope she get's better and that somehow things will work out. I'll be thinking of you guys:hug:

Last edited:

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Wow amazing story @Petra

Don't give up [MENTION=11060]Brandi Peden[/MENTION] please give a trainer a call. Your pup needs your help!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
This most likely can be remedied, don't give up on the dog, if along with training you are still not able to control the aggression its likely that someone else may be able to. All dogs deserve second chances. But as already has been mentioned don't allow the dog around other children unless you absolutely have the dog under control and it won't be able to bite another child. If the dog were to seriously injure a child then the options may be taken out of your control

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said, she has some trauma or was never socialized. Go back to basics, treat her like a puppy that needs to learn.... Positive reinforcement and no kids till she is ready for them and has earned that right.

there is a thread here in training, top of page, nothing I. Life is free, start with that and remember stay calm as your behavior plays a role I her reactions. And, yes, get a trainer in to help you though the process.

this is a long road but can be done

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@Petra

Your story made me sad, I know how much you love your babies… I had to give up a blue heeler that bit me when I was pregnant. It was a horrible situation, but I knew that she wasn't working out in our home. We had hired a trainer & everything… sometimes it just doesn't work out :(

@Brandi Peden

I'm so sorry about your situation, I agree w/other I would involve a trainer immediately and keep her away from children & dogs. Hopefully she will come around, poor baby… it's hard to tell what she has been exposed to.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Don't give up there is hope if your willing to do the work. I don't know if your new to the EBD breed but they are a completely different breed as far as training they also tend to be OCD and your girls circumstances changed quickly and has also contributed to this problem. She is uncomfortable right now trying to assert herself as being dominant. This won't be easy but in the end it will be worth it. Definitely talk to the trainer get them in there also do you kennel her if not think about that as well. Sometimes these babies have to have a "den" someplace they can go to feel safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
@Petra

Your story made me sad, I know how much you love your babies… I had to give up a blue heeler that bit me when I was pregnant. It was a horrible situation, but I knew that she wasn't working out in our home. We had hired a trainer & everything… sometimes it just doesn't work out :(

Ja, sometimes they need something different and when a baby is on the way one can't take any chances:( I was in a bad situation cos I didn't want to give up on Frasier knowing what a hard life he had before we got him, but I also didn't have the courage to deal with him, I was terrified of him and he knew it. I just couldn't help it:*( When you're all alone in a new country without anyone around and you have a dog that corners you and looks ready to attack you... it gets to you:mellow:. But I'm really glad the trainer took him in, I really like him, he's a good person and great with dogs:) His wife loves Frasier too, her phone is full of pics of him. It just turned out great in the end:). But ja... I do miss him, and thinking of him makes me a bit sad sometimes. He did the cutest things. He walked up to you and when you bent down to pet him he would throw himself on the floor and lay on his back, flat like a carpet to get a belly scratch. And when he pooped his back legs was so far apart his *** almost touched the ground, lol. He is a clown:heart:

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
Don't put her down!!!!! You said you came across her on accident, no everything happens for a reason and I think that it's for you to make her a better dog. She probably never had the love and care that you have and can give her. Time, please give her time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Baxter Tiberius

Your dog has absolutely no idea that "biting a kid" is a thing. Or a bad thing.

So anyone suggesting putting her down isn't using good judgment.

Dogs have no clue that kids are precious to humans, nor why they would be. A kid is just a smaller object than an adult to her. So its not like she knowingly violated some rule of nature and must be put to death.

I've always had this secret confusion inside myself when I hear of dogs being put to death because they bite kids.

Do we really think animals have the first clue about our strange, elaborate value systems?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

Dogs have no clue that kids are precious to humans, nor why they would be. A kid is just a smaller object than an adult to her. So its not like she knowingly violated some rule of nature and must be put to death.

I've always had this secret confusion inside myself when I hear of dogs being put to death because they bite kids.

Do we really think animals have the first clue about our strange, elaborate value systems?

I'm not sure if they have a clue or not but with training and love they can I think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Your point is very valid… I agree I think that most dogs think they are at the same level as kids in the home. That's why it's SO important to show dogs immediately that kids are also in charge… I have always had my kids hand feed, walk, brush, pretty much do most things that I do w/our dogs. The ONLY thing I have NEVER allowed (even w/my cats) is to let my kids pick up our pets. Most animals don't like this anyway, and it causes problems. My grandson wants to ride on my boxers back and I go absolutely NUTS about it. She has hip issues because she's older, and I don't want her to growl or bite him because he's hurt her. It's just common sense w/kids & pets… but some people are just stupid & let their kids do anything they want to pets in the home.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.