Aggression towards other dogs in hallway

choleramsey

Feb 5, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Hi! I've been reading this forum for several months now, but this is my first post. Otis is about 8 months old now, he's potty trained, knows all the basics and we love him tons. We live in a condo and recently he has started aggressively barking and lunging at other dogs if we see them in the halls of the condo building. I have no clue what to do and feel bad that other owners have started picking up their dogs when they see Otis coming. Any advice/suggestions???

Last edited:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'd get a trainer ASAP. Have an in home visit and see what they recommend. You probably need to socialize him but in a controlled setting.

OP
choleramsey

choleramsey

Feb 5, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
We're planning to get one soon, just seeing if anyone had suggestions until our first session. He's not aggressive at all if another dog is outside, just when he happens to see them in the hallway. Once with a neighbor's dog I brought him inside for a minute, then took him back out and he was fine after a minute to cool off.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It sounds like he's "protecting" his territory. But I have no advice.

Hopefully someone here has a suggestion.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It does sound like he's protecting his own turf, maybe socializing him more with other dogs would help out until the trainer can work with him. Go to a park or somewhere where there are other dogs that he can see and sniff. :welcome: to EBN!

OP
choleramsey

choleramsey

Feb 5, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thanks! That's a good idea, he was around lots of dogs last fall (on walks, dog park, training, etc.), but since winter in Minnesota hit we've been cooped up inside most of the time. I think there are some indoor play groups that we could try out or maybe the dog park when it's not freezing.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It sounds like he's "protecting" his territory. But I have no advice.

Hopefully someone here has a suggestion.
Blue's mom is 100% right. Our Frankie is the sweetest bully I have ever met BUT when he is outside and my neighbors dogs are out on either side of my property Frankie turns into the protector. He charges the fences and runs back and forth like a maniac growling and barking. He is protecting what he sees as his. I'm not sure how to change this as I have not had any luck so far.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It does sound like he's protecting his own turf, maybe socializing him more with other dogs would help out until the trainer can work with him. Go to a park or somewhere where there are other dogs that he can see and sniff. :welcome: to EBN!

:goodpost:

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
You are not alone. I adopted Porkie from a rescue. Overall, she's a sweetheart! Each step is a milestone and makes me proud of her. One issue that needs improvement is "aggression". I was advised to keep bringing her to dog parks. She has been to them on well- behavior when I am by her side w a handy treat to distract her . Other owners tell me it shouldn't be there if my dog's aggressive . One owner said, " your not staying are you"? We left . There were no other dogs just that one .

From my personal observation, dogs will be dogs no way that we can take away their nature to show protection and territorial. I have not seen ONE dog that doesn't bark at another.
We can overcome this obstacle. I made a post regarding this issue and found this after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
What i would do is to start off when you see an approaching dog in a hallway -make your dog sit (at a distance if you can) so he can observe -reward for desired behaviour-in your case no lounging or barking
Then once your dog seem more comfortable in this situation slowly and i mean slowly - make him sit closer to a passing dog again reward -i know this is a hallway and spaces can be tight and awkward but try your best even if you have to back off to retain some distance
Also it would be helpful if you have any friends with (calm and friendly) dogs that are willing to take some of their time to help you by walking their dogs up and down the hallway so you could train your dog
It does look like a territorial thing
How is he outside with other dogs? Xx

OP
choleramsey

choleramsey

Feb 5, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thanks for the suggestions. Now that it is finally warming up, i think the dog park is a good idea. He probably hasn't been around as many dogs as he should of this winter. Is Porkie's agression really random? With Otis, it is literally only toward other dogs in the hallway. We could see the same exact dog outside and he'll be happy and go say hi like a nice boy.

I think he also gets more agressive when it is a small dog. I think small dogs tend to bark a little more and lunge toward him, so he gets even more agressive and goes back at them. I have no clue how to stop this behavior.

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
I think you need to get his attention BEFORE he starts to react to the other dog. Maybe try to keep his attention the whole time in the hallway? Have a BIG treat or something he really likes. Start by saying look at me, & put the treat in front of his face then bring it up to your eyes & hold it there. He'll learn look at me fast that way. As soon as you see another dog in the hallway start the look at me & try to hold his attention on the yummy treat you have. We practice that a lot & Daisy will not waiver her gaze no matter what is going on around her. Even without the treat she is very aware it's very important if I say look at me. I don't know if it will work for you but it's easy & worth a try while you wait until you can arrange for training.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I appreciate the great advice here. I distract Pork Chop from other dogs and certain people, for the most part she 's friendly. She walks up to strangers unknowingly like saying , " pet me" other people she will bark at . Both people and other dogs the treat technique to distract her attention has made big improvements. She's not 100% all I can say, she's reached milestones . Thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.