The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Ok everyone I am in need of some advice. Harlea has started barking, growling and biting (not nipping) my son, daughter and wife's feet here in the last week or so. She rarely does it to me and all I have to do is look at her with a scowl on my face and she stops and submits immediately. However, with everyone else she won't stop for anything unless I walk in to the room or she is put on a leash and brought up to where I am at in the house. This really concerns me as my wife is still laid up and cannot really get up or defend herself when Harlea gets in this mode and I am afraid one or both of them is going to get severely hurt.

I know that she is doing it to try and get them to play with her and not to be mean in any way but I can't let this go on much longer. Barking and growling back at her does work and she will submit but trying to get my kids to do it with a straight face is almost impossible. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no advice on this one Todd… gonna tag the experts!!! @2BullyMama [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Todd,
This may sound odd, but I have a hollow plastic tube which I found out after having it for years, is a golf club cover(I guess for the handle). Not being a golfer-who knew.
I have had dogs for years and years, ALL types,BIG and small, as pets, and every one of them has respected that simple thing. I call it the "spankin' thing" If I reach for that they quit whatever "bad" thing they are doing. Sometimes I have hit someone with it-but hardly ever. I think it is the sight and sound(as it's hollow,light plastic) more than anythiing that they don't like. I have had it so long, I don't even remember where I got it-and when I got it, I didn't know what it was. It worked so well, my sister got one and when we have all the dogs together and things get too rowdy, we just have to get it, and they all calm down. I made two little holes in it and put a string through it and I hang it up. I've had the same one for 30 years, different dogs-I don't know why-but they all react the same way to it. It works. It is my emergency "go to!" "Strange but true."
It is worth a try for you. Hope this helps. Also best wishes to your wife. Hope she is feeling a lot better.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] I may have to try something like that. I know she hates the sound of things hitting our coffee table and I actually have several club covers in my golf bag that I could use and they are long enough that my wife could reach the table with it to give it a tap.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
@Manydogs I may have to try something like that. I know she hates the sound of things hitting our coffee table and I actually have several club covers in my golf bag that I could use and they are long enough that my wife could reach the table with it to give it a tap.

We use an empty 12oz soda can filled 1/4 of the way with change and the top taped up. We call it the puppy bomb. everyone should have one and when Harlea starts with her biting or whatever they should shake it hard and tell her NO. It really works. We use it when Brutus and Frankie starts to play too rough or start to get aggressive. I would give it a try.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We tried the cans with coins. That bothered her at first but now she ignores it. We even tried the bean bag filled with chain links from Bark Busters and throwing it on the floor. She just grabs it and runs.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She only sees you as the one she needs to listen to so that my be a problem in and of itself... but have you tried the water/spray bottle?

Also, Harlea is getting into the teenage years too, I thnk... she is about 8 - 10 months, right?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ugh I remember the teen phase Brutus was a beast. The only thing that calmed him down were really long walks everyday. He was too tired to be bad.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
A tin can filled 1/4 filled with coins should work a treat. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
She only sees you as the one she needs to listen to so that my be a problem in and of itself... but have you tried the water/spray bottle?

Also, Harlea is getting into the teenage years too, I thnk... she is about 8 - 10 months, right?

She loves water so the spray bottle is just another toy for her. You spray her with it and she will just turn and open her mouth for more. And yes she has definitely hit the teenage stage. She will be 9 months old tomorrow.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Uhhh Todd I feel your pain! Daisy has reverted back to being a beast. She started biting me and being mean to me again. On top of the humping.. And she is like Harlea, she wants to play with the can of coins. And with the water bottle, well that just aggravates her even more. She only listens to Matt so Im screwed. Im gonna have to find a "spankin thing".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.