Oh ruthie...

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie is just not nice to other dogs. So far just this weekend, she fought with our friends lab on Friday, fought with our nieces dog yesterday and bit a huge new Finland(sp?) just passing by at dicks yesterday too. We have our rescue bully visit today and I'm trying to be positive, but I have a feeling it's not going to go well. She starts out playing but it turns sour cause she just can't play nice. I'm not sure what to do with her? Do I re-socialize her to other dogs? How do I do that? Or do I just realize that she needs to be an only dog and she can't have dog friends? Some dogs she's fine with and won't bother, but others it's like she preys on them. My parents and my sisters dogs she is so fine with though. I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
(sigh).... Ruthie sounds a lot like Banks. Hit or miss depending on the other dog and her mood.

Banks does great with my sisters dog when we are at my sisters house, bring Pugsley over here and it is a differently story. Banks also HATES dogs with long hair Newfoundlands are her ultimate enemy - she just hates them. One of the big things YOU need to do is control your thoughts and feeling on how she may or may not react because if she senses your insecurity of the situation. Mind you, I know all this now after having Banks in training for 8 yrs. there are just certain situations we know just will not in anyway work for her and knowing that, we realize there will never be another dog into the home unless it is a puppy, as that is all she will accept.

Banks is very dominate and it is just her world that she allows us to participate in. We make it work with Cheli and she has come to accept him as part of her pack, but she also has her days when she will attack him for just entering the room.... she is just that beeeotchy. Cheli was 8 months old when we got him and we spent a full week of off-site neutral ground introducing them and getting her to accept him.... introducing on neutral ground is beyond HUGH... take them for walks to get them to pack up.... it is a long journey and can be done, but it is a long journey that will have set backs here and there.
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] just added to her home she may be able to give some more insight

good luck and try to relax so Ruthie will be relaxed

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
When Gia plays with others I just really have to watch her. She starts out really nice and friendly and wants to play. But if the other dog shows any type of aggression she freaks out and goes.for blood. Plus she is much better around males then females. I really just watch her body language and grab her if I see her start to get angry.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ruthie is just not nice to other dogs. So far just this weekend, she fought with our friends lab on Friday, fought with our nieces dog yesterday and bit a huge new Finland(sp?) just passing by at dicks yesterday too. We have our rescue bully visit today and I'm trying to be positive, but I have a feeling it's not going to go well. She starts out playing but it turns sour cause she just can't play nice. I'm not sure what to do with her? Do I re-socialize her to other dogs? How do I do that? Or do I just realize that she needs to be an only dog and she can't have dog friends? Some dogs she's fine with and won't bother, but others it's like she preys on them. My parents and my sisters dogs she is so fine with though. I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?

How old is the rescue and what sex is the dog? I was told that the best mix is female/male next being male/male and to try to avoid female/female unless your female is very submissive. Is the rescue coming to your house? If so, take them on a long walk somewhere not familiar to Ruthie. She can feel territorial on a route familiar to her. After the walk I would introduce them on leashes in the house and pay attention to Ruthies body language. Any stiffness or staring needs to be corrected right away. If they are interacting well and you feel comfortable you can take the leashes off but make sure they have harnesses on so you can grab with out being bitten. If you think Ruthie will adjust you can also gate them from each other with a gate they can see through letting Ruthie know that your new dog is there to stay and she will have to adjust. We used an empty 12oz soda can 1/4 filled with coins and the top taped up which I call the puppy bomb. If they are getting to wild where you think you won't be able to bring them back to calmness, throw the puppy bomb right next to them and loudly tell them NO or THATS ENOUGH. It works like a charm. Brutus was every dogs best friend until we brought Frankie into his house. It took us approx 3wks of having them gated separately and then putting together. It can work. I'm convinced that if it worked to us it can work for anyone. We didn't have a clue what we were doing and Brutus is a bit of a spoiled brat :eek: which is my fault entirely but now they are really best friends and Brutus loves having a play mate that can match his stamina. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions. I can give you my phone # is you like. The support I got from you guys really helped me through my doggie hell.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
(sigh).... Ruthie sounds a lot like Banks. Hit or miss depending on the other dog and her mood.

Banks does great with my sisters dog when we are at my sisters house, bring Pugsley over here and it is a differently story. Banks also HATES dogs with long hair Newfoundlands are her ultimate enemy - she just hates them. One of the big things YOU need to do is control your thoughts and feeling on how she may or may not react because if she senses your insecurity of the situation. Mind you, I know all this now after having Banks in training for 8 yrs. there are just certain situations we know just will not in anyway work for her and knowing that, we realize there will never be another dog into the home unless it is a puppy, as that is all she will accept.

Banks is very dominate and it is just her world that she allows us to participate in. We make it work with Cheli and she has come to accept him as part of her pack, but she also has her days when she will attack him for just entering the room.... she is just that beeeotchy. Cheli was 8 months old when we got him and we spent a full week of off-site neutral ground introducing them and getting her to accept him.... introducing on neutral ground is beyond HUGH... take them for walks to get them to pack up.... it is a long journey and can be done, but it is a long journey that will have set backs here and there.
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] just added to her home she may be able to give some more insight

good luck and try to relax so Ruthie will be relaxed

Ruthie and banks need to meet cause they are related lol. Ruthie is exactly as you described banks.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How old is the rescue and what sex is the dog? I was told that the best mix is female/male next being male/male and to try to avoid female/female unless your female is very submissive. Is the rescue coming to your house? If so, take them on a long walk somewhere not familiar to Ruthie. She can feel territorial on a route familiar to her. After the walk I would introduce them on leashes in the house and pay attention to Ruthies body language. Any stiffness or staring needs to be corrected right away. If they are interacting well and you feel comfortable you can take the leashes off but make sure they have harnesses on so you can grab with out being bitten. If you think Ruthie will adjust you can also gate them from each other with a gate they can see through letting Ruthie know that your new dog is there to stay and she will have to adjust. We used an empty 12oz soda can 1/4 filled with coins and the top taped up which I call the puppy bomb. If they are getting to wild where you think you won't be able to bring them back to calmness, throw the puppy bomb right next to them and loudly tell them NO or THATS ENOUGH. It works like a charm. Brutus was every dogs best friend until we brought Frankie into his house. It took us approx 3wks of having them gated separately and then putting together. It can work. I'm convinced that if it worked to us it can work for anyone. We didn't have a clue what we were doing and Brutus is a bit of a spoiled brat :eek: which is my fault entirely but now they are really best friends and Brutus loves having a play mate that can match his stamina. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions. I can give you my phone # is you like. The support I got from you guys really helped me through my doggie hell.

Thank you so much!!! I knew we needed a male for her. So it's a male, 3 years old. We took them for a walk. She was so nice and cordial to him. And is doing so well. She is only getting mad when he sniffs her butt cause she hates it. I guess I didn't give her enough credit with her own kind lol. Ruthie is a huge spoiled brat and likes all the attention and this is hard for her, I can see it. Thank you for your advice. I know if we decide to add him, it's going to be a hard road. They are playing right now....so good!!! I'm getting ready to post a photo of them I took.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great news. You should try the puppy bomb. It really works. Now all I have to say is "do you want the puppy bomb"? Everyone settles right down. I really hope It works out for you guys. Ruthie will love having a puppy brudder.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Great news. You should try the puppy bomb. It really works. Now all I have to say is "do you want the puppy bomb"? Everyone settles right down. I really hope It works out for you guys. Ruthie will love having a puppy brudder.

What is the puppy bomb?

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What is the puppy bomb?

An empty 12oz soda can 1/4 of the way filled with change with the top taped up. When they are playing to rough or escalating into something you won't be able to bring them back from, throw it next to them and yell ENOUGH or NO and they stop. It works like a charm.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] Keep us updated on how Ruthie does with her new brother.

We're thinking of adopting a sister for Blue but being overly cautious. Like Ruthie, he's spoiled, and used to being the center of our attention. Your thread is one of the ones helping us make our decision.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@JennieS Keep us updated on how Ruthie does with her new brother.

We're thinking of adopting a sister for Blue but being overly cautious. Like Ruthie, he's spoiled, and used to being the center of our attention. Your thread is one of the ones helping us make our decision.
I will! He went home yesterday. We are getting him this weekend for 1-2 weeks to see more of how it will go. The only issue we had so far was yesterday we were laying on the couch and Ruthie got mad at him for being up there and snapped at him. That was it. She did much better than i could have ever imagined. We gave her her soccer ball to play with while he was over so she wasn't as overwhelmed with him being there. I'll make sure when he comes back to document for you!

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
An empty 12oz soda can 1/4 of the way filled with change with the top taped up. When they are playing to rough or escalating into something you won't be able to bring them back from, throw it next to them and yell ENOUGH or NO and they stop. It works like a charm.
Ok Perfect!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will! He went home yesterday. We are getting him this weekend for 1-2 weeks to see more of how it will go. The only issue we had so far was yesterday we were laying on the couch and Ruthie got mad at him for being up there and snapped at him. That was it. She did much better than i could have ever imagined. We gave her her soccer ball to play with while he was over so she wasn't as overwhelmed with him being there. I'll make sure when he comes back to document for you!

Jennie -- remember, when he comes back... do the same thing, intro them outside, go for a brief walk before entering the home. And, make sure Ruthie enters after you and before him.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jennie -- remember, when he comes back... do the same thing, intro them outside, go for a brief walk before entering the home. And, make sure Ruthie enters after you and before him.
Great advice!!! I appreciate all the help and advice. I'm making a list for us to do when he comes back to visit to make it go smoothly and help Ruthie adjust.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.