• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
First thing I would do is get a cleaner that gets rid of all traces of urine and feces and clean out his crate and any area he pees or poops on.
This way, Baxter won't smell it, and it may break the association of going potty in his crate.
When we training Blue, I was using Natures Miracle. Would spray it on the floor all around his wee pads, and absolutely anything that "may" have a trace of urine. The stuff works.

Next thing I would do is time him. How long after he eats or drinks does he need to go out? Then take him out and wait. Even after he goes, wait some more, he may not be done (and could be why he's going for a second time in/around his crate).

Would stick to this for a few weeks and see how it goes.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
You have been offered some great advice above! I have nothing left to add, except make sure that you aren't cleaning up his "accidents" with Windex or similar ammonia based cleaners, as this will attract him to that spot again. Best of luck in figuring this out, as I know it must be very frustrating!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Five nights and no peeing in crate :)

His original problem wasn't peeing in the crate. The door was always open.

He would walk out, and pee on the floor in front of the crate. Instead of just walking an additional 2 feet to his doggy door and patch of grass.

I just feared closing the door in the crate, he'd have accidents inside.

But five nights in the crate, with a divider, and the door shut, and he has not gone to the bathroom all night long.

I believe he is learning to "hold it" which is going to be a huge plus for daytime accidents as well.

----

Been using the enzyme cleaner 100% after every accident (thousands of them in the last 8 months). Never windex.

Last night he was sleeping on his open bed in the living room. Instead of walking 15 feet to his doggy door, he pooped and peed on the floor inside.

This is after going to the doggy door at least 8 times - perfectly all day.

Only difference: it was night, he was sound asleep for hours beforehand, and i was nowhere to be seen.

I often think he does it because he's lazy and thinks im not around. Honestly. He knows where to go.

His poop is normal consistency.

Last edited:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I strongly suggest and encourage ALL bulldog owners to crate train as a puppy. As others have said, this is their safe place. NOT a place for punishment. Since they will eat anything in sight, the risk to come home and find your dog dead or in need of a major surgery is reason enough to crate train. We have many bulldogs at our house and they all have their own crate in a separate dog room on the house. When I need to leave, I open the door, shake the biscuit cup and they will RUN into their own crate and sit and wait for a treat. They just take long naps if i am gone during the day, but they also sleep in them at night.

I do have one male that has a "P" problem. He had HUU and had bladder stones. After the surgery he isn't able to hold it all night. So likewise, I set my alarm and take him out. But then they ALL want to go out. It's cold so they only do their biz quickly. My biggest problem is keeping them away from the water buckets at 1 am in the night. Just don't trust them.

There is always a solution. What will it take. What will you invest.

Good Day~

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Neither of my girls are crated at night; Ruby is only crated in the day because of the path of destruction the two can do together without supervision. Amber is never crated and neither has accidents unless someone forgot to take them out or it is pouring outside and they don't want to go out, then there is the occassional mistake. Both were fully housebroke around 8-10 months old. They only occassional lose their absolute minds to chew something up but they are getting better about that too. It might be that we are getting better about bully proofing the house, not sure either way. Good luck.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

You're right. I should have crated him as a puppy (8 weeks to 4 months). Now I'm paying for it. But he's taking to crate training really well right now and I am really happy. Five nights of perfection so far :)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Well night # 6, if anyone cares lol ...

I decided to put his little bedding "mat" in his crate with him. Still divided area only big enough to turn around.

Came in this morning and he had peed all over the bedding, immediately under him.

So its back to no bedding. Fingers crossed. Usually when he starts a bad behavior, he keeps doing it. Lets see if the bedding really is the key.

Sad that we have to go to these lengths, but my hope is that he'll outgrow this eventually :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Of course we care!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well night # 6, if anyone cares lol ...

I decided to put his little bedding "mat" in his crate with him. Still divided area only big enough to turn around.

Came in this morning and he had peed all over the bedding, immediately under him.

So its back to no bedding. Fingers crossed. Usually when he starts a bad behavior, he keeps doing it. Lets see if the bedding really is the key.

Sad that we have to go to these lengths, but my hope is that he'll outgrow this eventually :)

how did it go?

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Its been two weeks now?

Not a single accident at night.

And you know its legit because when he comes tumbling out of his crate, hopping and galloping like a little horse down the hall, he goes to his patch of grass and pees for like 5 minutes.

Its working amazingly well.

I put his little bed in his crate last night to try once again, and he peed on it.

So no more bedding for awhile.

Ultimately the goal of course will be that he gets bedding again.

-B-

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, things are sounding good-hope it continues for you! Some can never have bedding-silly dogs!

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I used to crate diesel but he likes the cold floor ( he won't even sleep in my bed )
As he's not chewing and is potty trained he can sleep where he wants. It is our house 😄....., he thinks it's only his tho lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.