Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you crate at night?

Baxter Tiberius

Default Re: Do you crate at night?

Four nights in a row, and no accidents all night! I am amazed! But I am holding my horses because he's had longer stretches than this, only to completely fall apart later.

This is the first time in 8 months I've woken up and not had to clean pee and poop off the floor for 20 minutes in the morning. I feel like im living in a dream.

He doesn't seem to get upset in the crate either. He just curls up and goes to sleep.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

My dogs sleep in their crates by their own choice. The door is open yet they sleep in there all night long or even during the day if I'm out.

As far as potty training, I have a feeling that it is not that he doesn't know where to go. I believe it is more that he can't help it. If he hasn't done this in months it means he knows what the doggie door is for. They don't just all of a sudden forget that they pee/poop outside... it comes to a point where it is instinctive and him showing that he knew he was doing something wrong yet can't help it further shows that he can't help it for some reason. Peeing and pooping both? That is not a good sign. Was his poop normal? Or was that soft poop?

Something is wrong and I don't think the crate is your solution in this situation. The vet might be able to give you insights on what could be wrong.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    @Jennifer Clark
    Until what age though? How old is he now.
    Sheldon is just over two years old now we crated him for about a year but only when we weren't home until he proved he could be trusted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

First thing I would do is get a cleaner that gets rid of all traces of urine and feces and clean out his crate and any area he pees or poops on.
    This way, Baxter won't smell it, and it may break the association of going potty in his crate.
    When we training Blue, I was using Natures Miracle. Would spray it on the floor all around his wee pads, and absolutely anything that "may" have a trace of urine. The stuff works.

Next thing I would do is time him. How long after he eats or drinks does he need to go out? Then take him out and wait. Even after he goes, wait some more, he may not be done (and could be why he's going for a second time in/around his crate).

Would stick to this for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Real Name
    Cyndi
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

You have been offered some great advice above! I have nothing left to add, except make sure that you aren't cleaning up his "accidents" with Windex or similar ammonia based cleaners, as this will attract him to that spot again. Best of luck in figuring this out, as I know it must be very frustrating!

Baxter Tiberius

Five nights and no peeing in crate

His original problem wasn't peeing in the crate. The door was always open.

He would walk out, and pee on the floor in front of the crate. Instead of just walking an additional 2 feet to his doggy door and patch of grass.

I just feared closing the door in the crate, he'd have accidents inside.

But five nights in the crate, with a divider, and the door shut, and he has not gone to the bathroom all night long.

I believe he is learning to "hold it" which is going to be a huge plus for daytime accidents as well.

----

Been using the enzyme cleaner 100% after every accident (thousands of them in the last 8 months). Never windex.

Last night he was sleeping on his open bed in the living room. Instead of walking 15 feet to his doggy door, he pooped and peed on the floor inside.

This is after going to the doggy door at least 8 times - perfectly all day.

Only difference: it was night, he was sound asleep for hours beforehand, and i was nowhere to be seen.

I often think he does it because he's lazy and thinks im not around. Honestly. He knows where to go.

His poop is normal consistency.
    Last edited by Baxter Tiberius; 02-04-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

I strongly suggest and encourage ALL bulldog owners to crate train as a puppy. As others have said, this is their safe place. NOT a place for punishment. Since they will eat anything in sight, the risk to come home and find your dog dead or in need of a major surgery is reason enough to crate train. We have many bulldogs at our house and they all have their own crate in a separate dog room on the house. When I need to leave, I open the door, shake the biscuit cup and they will RUN into their own crate and sit and wait for a treat. They just take long naps if i am gone during the day, but they also sleep in them at night.

I do have one male that has a "P" problem. He had HUU and had bladder stones. After the surgery he isn't able to hold it all night. So likewise, I set my alarm and take him out. But then they ALL want to go out. It's cold so they only do their biz quickly. My biggest problem is keeping them away from the water buckets at 1 am in the night. Just don't trust them.

There is always a solution. What will it take. What will you invest.

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Neither of my girls are crated at night; Ruby is only crated in the day because of the path of destruction the two can do together without supervision. Amber is never crated and neither has accidents unless someone forgot to take them out or it is pouring outside and they don't want to go out, then there is the occassional mistake. Both were fully housebroke around 8-10 months old. They only occassional lose their absolute minds to chew something up but they are getting better about that too. It might be that we are getting better about bully proofing the house, not sure either way. Good luck.

Baxter Tiberius

You're right. I should have crated him as a puppy (8 weeks to 4 months). Now I'm paying for it. But he's taking to crate training really well right now and I am really happy. Five nights of perfection so far

Baxter Tiberius

Well night # 6, if anyone cares lol ...

I decided to put his little bedding "mat" in his crate with him. Still divided area only big enough to turn around.

Came in this morning and he had peed all over the bedding, immediately under him.

So its back to no bedding. Fingers crossed. Usually when he starts a bad behavior, he keeps doing it. Lets see if the bedding really is the key.

Sad that we have to go to these lengths, but my hope is that he'll outgrow this eventually

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Of course we care!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Well night # 6, if anyone cares lol ...

I decided to put his little bedding "mat" in his crate with him. Still divided area only big enough to turn around.

Came in this morning and he had peed all over the bedding, immediately under him.

So its back to no bedding. Fingers crossed. Usually when he starts a bad behavior, he keeps doing it. Lets see if the bedding really is the key.

Sad that we have to go to these lengths, but my hope is that he'll outgrow this eventually

how did it go?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads