Behavioural Question (Introducing new people)

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Hello all,
It's been a LONG time since I posted about Wally. He is just over 3 now and is overall a great guy. I haven't posted because he's been healthy and happy.
That being said, we have some problems introducing new people to him. We don't have people over often but when we do, he sometimes gets very defensive and snappy and it makes us a bit skeptical about having new people over. He is fine with people he has known, it's introducing him to new people that can be difficult. I think alot of it has to do with our behaviour for example, when we had a guy come over to fix the washing machine, I put Wally on a leash before he arrived and just held him back while he barked incessantly until the poor guy was finished (we live in a small place). I was wondering what the best way to introduce him to new people would be as clearly that was not. Is it best to just relax and let the people come in and ask them to just ignore him until he calms down? We always warn people that he can be a bit of a freak. Alternatively, should we go outside and greet our guests and walk in with them so that Wally sees them enter the apt with us? I'm pretty sure he's just being over protective but it can be pretty scary for people who are not big "dog people". Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem or if anyone had any suggestions. When it's just the three of us, he is perfectly calm and just lounges around all day. When people he knows come over he is also fine (just a bit hyper). We invited a few people over this coming weekend and we are determined to make it work. Thanks as always!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey stranger!! Good to hear Wally is doing well!
the leash thing should have been the best way, but if you are uneasy then he is sensing it and thinking he has to protect or there is a reason not to trust. But, as you stated another good way is for the new person to walk in totally ignore Wally , no touching or eye contact until he settles down. you can also train him to be in a sit stay when someone is entering. Treats treats and more treats

good luck... it is fixable just will take time

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
letting the stranger give him a treat may help, I have seen it work.
refocus him (I use alot of Dog Whisperer techniques- wok very well with me)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I am here alone with the dogs most of the time. If someone comes, I have the OPPOSITE problem! The dogs are so excited to see another HUMAN, they jump all over and are too happy! But, I would say that IF you are sure your dog won't bite anyone, I would recommend that they just ignore him when they come in, act like they don't notice him-except have them say "Hello Wally" but that's it. If he goes over to sniff them just let him and don't have them pet him. Once he settles, then you could have them give him a special treat(something ONLY for when company comes).

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
Wally is a cutie :).... Socialization of the breed is a must! The leash was a great idea, I would try to start taking him on walks, then lead up to taking him to pet store's and dog parks. HTH, I hope Wally improves with guests.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.