My house is turning into Fort Knox...

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Sir Rumble Pig is about 1 year and 4 months old now. He has calmed down a lot but still has times when he gets the wild look in his eye and the zoomies and runs around like crazy. We have tried leaving him out of his crate for short periods of times and sometimes he is fine and sleeping when we come back and other times he has chewed up something that he never chewed on before, like a blanket. I am really looking for two different things. First, reassurance that crating him is not bad since he will not stop chewing. I know it is for his own safety and he always goes into his crate when I grab my purse but I still feel guilty. Second, how do I stop some of the chewing behavior when we are home? His latest interests include blankets and electrical cords both of which I am not keen on him chewing! We currently have baby gates set up in the doorways to all the other rooms because of this. We have a play pen folded around a lamp in the living room to keep him from chewing the cord. We have tried just about everything I can think of to get him to stop. He thinks bitter apple is delicious and time outs do not phase him. I would like to eventually get my house back to normal but am struggling to stop these behaviors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Well, first, crate training is one of the best things you can do for your bully! It provides safety and security and peace of mind to you and your bulldog! Are you upset when you spend quiet time in your bedroom? Neither is your bully!

As for the chewing, you can try redirecting to his toys but he is very young and teething so until that stage is over, try to be consistent with crating him and providing lots of bones and toys!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well, first, crate training is one of the best things you can do for your bully! It provides safety and security and peace of mind to you and your bulldog! Are you upset when you spend quiet time in your bedroom? Neither is your bully!

As for the chewing, you can try redirecting to his toys but he is very young and teething so until that stage is over, try to be consistent with crating him and providing lots of bones and toys!

100% Agree!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

spot on! :up:

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Thank you for the advice [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] . Any idea on when he will not be so young?? When he was a little pup everyone told me a year and he definitely has calmed down but now that he is over that I need another target to look forward to!!

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
Hercules is a destructor as well when he gets out of the house and i've recently ran into the chewing problems. Yes crating them would be good, you are right for their safety. But i went out and got this non chew spray and put it on the things that he likes to get at and he hasn't done it, which is a good thing and i leave him blocked in one area (the living room) and leave all his toys out for him. Its seemed to work well, so far.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Just get use to the baby gates; we have. Without adult supervision Amber will lose her mind on the back side of the house and head straight for our daughters room for a good old fashion chew fest. Ruby is in a crate when we aren't at home because the two of them just cannot behave with both of them on free roam right now. Amber is two and every once in a while will lose her mind just not a bad as in the past. Always be on guard for them to decide they are going for a new "taste test" eventhough they haven't chewed something in months. Good luck and get use to a sanitized house.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I didnt get a chance to read the responses yet, but I think the key here is sufficient exercise.
Dogs need to be worn out by the end of the day.
If this is not done, pent up energy turns into destructive behaviors, chewing, and craziness.
The very fact that he bolts around the house is *proof* that he has tons of pent up energy he needs to release.
I take Baxter to a doggy daycare 2 times a week for this very reason. He needs to go buck wild all day ... twice a week.
And in between I do my best to walk him a couple times per day.
At the end of our walk, there's a ramp going up into my building and I make sure we take that route, and *run* the entire ramp up.
Every little bit helps.
Baxter has a lot of potty problems but he has never once chewed a single item in the house, other than the chew toys i've given him.
Exercise is imperative for longevity and health too. English bulldogs are known to be sedentary, but thats just as bad for them as humans.