Does anybody have any experience with Deaf Dogs?

JimboSlice209

Jan 27, 2014
Santa Cruz, California, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Hello EBN,

I am looking for someone who has experience with deaf bullies or deaf dogs in general. I have a deaf bully and i need help training her. She listens but only when you bribe her with treats. Plz if anybody can help let me know!!!

-J

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, sorry I don't have any experience with deaf dogs, but I tagged one of our members Pati Robbins who has a deaf American Bulldog mix, and also does dog training. She will be able to give you good advice, and suggestions. She is great and always willing to help. Also other members who may have experience may come along soon to help you. Good luck.

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hello , first thing -how old is ypur bully? I got a american bulldog mix boxer .
Teaching deafie commands involves treats -if your bully is food orientated use his own food that you use in her feeding times
And one thing at the time -keep training short but do it few times a day most important is to always finish on a positive note -your main goal is to teach and reinforce commands -eventually reduce treats and only use praise thats a short version ;-)
What do you want to teach her exactly ?
I have a simple video on how to teach them sit and down here http://bellas-ears.weebly.com/traning-and-progress-videos.html

OP
J

JimboSlice209

Jan 27, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Thanks for the tag vikinggirl

Pati Robbins, thank you for all that you do, i have read about you around EBN alot and seen many posts of yours. SUch great info!!

My bully is actually turning 1 yr old next Monday, the 3rd!! YAAAAYYY!! :excited::excited::excited:

When i first got her I didnt know she was deaf, it took me a couple days to realize she was because she wasnt really responding to my voice. I did the BAER up at UC Davis and it was confirmed flat line that she was. This is no burden tho, i feel as if my bully was sent to me as a sign to practice patience and give her the best life that she can possibly have.

I want to start with the basic signs and then gradually show her as many commands as she can learn but i need to get the basic signs first hehe i will look at video and start there and i guess i can post progress here and see where it takes me :)

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
If you have any problems or simply need a tutorial video let me know ,i be more than happy to help where i can
Another useful thing toteach your deafie is to "check in" you can do it every time you are on your walk -keep giving your dog a treat every 20 or so seconds and eventually after a while your will notice that your bully is turning her head to look at you on her own-when this becomes a habit of hers reduce treats -i still give shy treats for checking in but not as often as when i started training Shy .
Teaching your dog to "check in " its handy as she have a constant eye contact with you -if shes out and playing ,backyard or in the house
We sometimes using flashlights -for recall at night when shy is doing her potty -to get her back as half of the time she likes to have a nose around -this is also handy when she runs upstairs -i just switch lights on and off to get her attention -and she will come back to see whats "going on"
Some people use flashlights as a form of "clicker training" i never dod -just a thumbs up and im ready to roll ;-)
Wale her up softly by touching her -if shes not used to it she might freak out at first but she will soon get used to it -we touch her all the time ,and to het her attention if shes facing the other way i always touched her neck .We set up routine -it helped us.Some deaf dog owners learn ASL .I was :
A) to lazy for that
B) made my own so my girl will never "listen" other deafie owners due to our made up signs
C) it was much easier for us to remember them
also check deaf dogs rock -and lovely Christina creator of this website

dbutler813

Dec 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Beefy (Georgia)
My dog is not deaf but I trained her with sign language my ex was deaf when I got her and to simplify both of our lives and ensure my spouse could also direct her I sign trained. To this day I still say its the best decision I jave ever made even in noisy public situations I dont have to make a peep just use hand signs. It takes a ton of patients and repetition in the begining I used her own food as reward for learning the commands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
J

JimboSlice209

Jan 27, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
@Pati Robbins
I have started with these basic signs for now (sit, lay, stand). I want to reinforce with a thumbs up so that she recognizes a thumbs up is a good thing.

http://www.ourdeafdogs.com/TrainingExercise/SitDownStand

I think its best if im creative and teach her our own unique signs, that way i can see how she works and work around those lines also im too lazy too learn ASL. Shes always been really good with checking in though, shes just a little girl when she goes out to the dark to pee and poo and starts barking at the dark.

I noticed that many of these tricks, she knows how to do, we just never really attached a hand signal to them, so thats where we'll have to be patient with her

OP
J

JimboSlice209

Jan 27, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
IMG_2474.jpgHeres Delilah

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

She is adorable and GOD bless you for taking her in and for keeping her
once found to be deaf...many would not. Thank you for posting your
progress with her and her pic. I certainly admire & respect your commit-
ment to Delilah, she is lucky to have you~Be blessed of GOD & favored!

dbutler813

Dec 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Beefy (Georgia)
Your welcome and good luck it will take 2x the patients bc she is a bully breed(and they are stubborn) and she is def but she is beautiful. (I have a havwart shepard named delilah) my eb is princess beefy.

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
She is absolutely beautiful xxx

OP
J

JimboSlice209

Jan 27, 2014
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
She is adorable and GOD bless you for taking her in and for keeping her
once found to be deaf...many would not. Thank you for posting your
progress with her and her pic. I certainly admire & respect your commit-
ment to Delilah, she is lucky to have you~Be blessed of GOD & favored!

I think the same thing too, not many people would want to keep a deaf dog, especially if they paid the same amount as what a normal dog would cost, but im glad I decided to keep her because it has taught me many valuable lessons!

Your welcome and good luck it will take 2x the patients bc she is a bully breed(and they are stubborn) and she is def but she is beautiful. (I have a havwart shepard named delilah) my eb is princess beefy.

I have discovered her stubborness the hard way, one minute she wants to play and learn her commands and the next minute she stops because i dont give her enough snacks, she is the most stubborn!!

she'll stop cuddling with you if you pet her too much and annoy her, she gives u the cold shoulder when she doesnt get what she wants, and she'll ignore u for a while after ear cleaning time. she is stubborn but she is the funniest at it!!! :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.