How did you train your bullie to release??

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
No matter what we do, we can not get Blue to release unless we're holding something he wants more. And depending on what we want him to release, treats don't always work.

We've been at it for months, and either he's not getting it, or he just won't listen. I'm betting on the latter.

So any tips? How did you guys do it?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

What is it that he won't release?
Toy?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Have you tried from the thing Blue isn't interested in -to reinforce the command first and gradually progress to stuff he does like to keep in his mouth - by gradually increasing difficulty dog learns and reinforces command to a point i like to call "muscle memory" it comes natural .That is how i work with my girls

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon started doing it when I said let go he didn't like it when I pinched his ear to make him release.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] Yep, it's usually toys. But it could anything. Earlier today it was a bill. I had to open his mouth, put my hand in and get it out. Of course it ripped!
[MENTION=8610]Jennifer Clark[/MENTION] ooh, I'm scared to get his ears involved since he lets me do anything I want to them. Which works out great for his weekly cleanings..lol.
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] I didn't think of that no. Will try this approach when he's playing with something I know he doesn't love.

I'm pretty desperate here. Getting tired of sticking my hand into his mouth to take things out. He's never bitten down, but it's not something I want to keep testing.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello,

Wait.......

You have to willing to WAIT as LONG as it takes. SERIOUSLY ! up to minutes....15...30..45 60! As long as it takes. It is a waiting game.
Unless you have the time to wait AT THAT moment...don't engage.

If an animal know that it is a game...they can wait a LONG time. AS SOON as release, praise, alabanza, Lob, lof or in any language.

Good Day~

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yeah, this one is a toughie for me too :(

The way they taught us at the Pet Smart obedience class is, while the toy is in their mouth, hold a treat close to their nose and say "drop it". As soon as they drop the object, give the treat. My problem is with Tate, he will see the treat and will drop the toy before i even say drop it. So he's not really understanding the command. He just sees a treat and he wants to eat it. With Finn, it would have to be something he really loves, like liver, b/c he tends to be more stubborn with letting his toy go.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
If your dog will play tug, it's one of the easiest way to teach him to release. I don't play tug-of-war with my dogs. My husband does but then he's very secure in his alpha rank. So, I would hold the rope, the dog tries to tug it, I will tell him to release ("Drop it") and just hang on to the rope by not moving - I won't tug, I won't let go either, just stand still holding that rope with the firm "Drop it" command until he releases and I give him lots of praise or treat. Do this about a thousand times and you can use the command for anything. My dog can be eating a chicken drumstick and I'll tell him to drop it and he'll do so because pleasing me is a higher reward to him than the chicken.

But yes, a Bully will hold on to the "higher reward" item... so, you kinda have to work it so that obedience as it is, is a high reward on its own. Treats is good to learn the command. After that, the dog will need to be motivated to do the command without treats. It is in their nature to want to be your "best friend".

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] If we touch him when he's holding a toy he's obsessed with, he growls. He doesn't think it's a game and warns us away. Well, I take it anyway if I can catch him, because he runs from us.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If your dog will play tug, it's one of the easiest way to teach him to release. I don't play tug-of-war with my dogs. My husband does but then he's very secure in his alpha rank. So, I would hold the rope, the dog tries to tug it, I will tell him to release ("Drop it") and just hang on to the rope by not moving - I won't tug, I won't let go either, just stand still holding that rope with the firm "Drop it" command until he releases and I give him lots of praise or treat. Do this about a thousand times and you can use the command for anything. My dog can be eating a chicken drumstick and I'll tell him to drop it and he'll do so because pleasing me is a higher reward to him than the chicken.

But yes, a Bully will hold on to the "higher reward" item... so, you kinda have to work it so that obedience as it is, is a high reward on its own. Treats is good to learn the command. After that, the dog will need to be motivated to do the command without treats. It is in their nature to want to be your "best friend".

I've tried when we play tug. As long as I have treats on me, he'll release it the first time, and go for the treats. He won't pick up the rope again until he's positive all treats are gone. So we're only able to practice the "release" command once.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
@ABEBD If we touch him when he's holding a toy he's obsessed with, he growls. He doesn't think it's a game and warns us away. Well, I take it anyway if I can catch him, because he runs from us.

Hi, that is a different issue than just not wanting to drop or release. Aggression with a toy can be dangerous. A professional dog trainer that specializes in agressive behavior is warranted.

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] If we touch him when he's holding a toy he's obsessed with, he growls. He doesn't think it's a game and warns us away. Well, I take it anyway if I can catch him, because he runs from us.

Check up resource guarding -on my blog

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yeah, this one is a toughie for me too :(

The way they taught us at the Pet Smart obedience class is, while the toy is in their mouth, hold a treat close to their nose and say "drop it". As soon as they drop the object, give the treat. My problem is with Tate, he will see the treat and will drop the toy before i even say drop it. So he's not really understanding the command. He just sees a treat and he wants to eat it. With Finn, it would have to be something he really loves, like liver, b/c he tends to be more stubborn with letting his toy go.

exactly what happens with us. we're only able to get the "release" command in the first time.

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] Yep, it's usually toys. But it could anything. Earlier today it was a bill. I had to open his mouth, put my hand in and get it out. Of course it ripped!
[MENTION=8610]Jennifer Clark[/MENTION] ooh, I'm scared to get his ears involved since he lets me do anything I want to them. Which works out great for his weekly cleanings..lol.
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] I didn't think of that no. Will try this approach when he's playing with something I know he doesn't love.

I'm pretty desperate here. Getting tired of sticking my hand into his mouth to take things out. He's never bitten down, but it's not something I want to keep testing.

This works for us as you are building difficulty -eventually you will gradually stop treats and keep up with praise -takes time but this is one of essential command -very handy when they have something they shouldn't have xx

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi, that is a different issue than just not wanting to drop or release. Aggression with a toy can be dangerous. A professional dog trainer that specializes in agressive behavior is warranted.

I don't want to get another trainer just yet. He's never bitten us, in fact- he growls and runs, and will even snap at my hand, but he he does let me take it from him if I catch him, and he's never bitten (yet). But if we can't get him to drop things soon, we're going to have to go that route.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.