How did you train your bullie to release??

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Oh man, if the day ever comes that Blue stops what he's doing and jumps back from something I say, or my tone- lol- I'll feel like I hit the lottery lol..

I hear ya ... my first bulldog Attitudee was super smart but she matched her name completely she was one great big attitude with and extra e :lol: she was excellent in class and always the perfect little student but at home she was a devil dog I would tell her to do something, she would look at me and make these grumbling sounds which was her way of talking back and then go back to what she wanted to do ... it was a crazy nightmare mixed with happy times, she was a TOTAL challenge!!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I don't worry to much about the realese command with my girls; they have their toys and will go get them to play tug of war with you. Tug of war never means release in our house and for me all I have to do is change the tone of my voice and both the girls know when I am playing and when I mean business. If they get my granddaughters toys all I have to do is tell them no and they immediately drop it and run. Now, that doesn't mean they don't come back later and get another toy because after all they are bullies and what is yours is theirs and what is theirs is theirs.....lol......but if my voice changes they know something is different. Try changes in your tone of your voice and see what happens, bullies are very in tune with emotions and pick up on them quickly. Good luck.

Ladylowery2005

Jan 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Major Payne
Yeah, this one is a toughie for me too :(

The way they taught us at the Pet Smart obedience class is, while the toy is in their mouth, hold a treat close to their nose and say "drop it". As soon as they drop the object, give the treat. My problem is with Tate, he will see the treat and will drop the toy before i even say drop it. So he's not really understanding the command. He just sees a treat and he wants to eat it. With Finn, it would have to be something he really loves, like liver, b/c he tends to be more stubborn with letting his toy go.

That's a great idea I will have to try that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
My ace is 12 wks old and I'm training him the basic commands. When he doesn't want to let go of something, I will make my hand into a claw form and gently put it on his neck while making him flip over, belly up on the floor and with a firm LET GO! He quickly releases. At times he thinks I'm playing with him and tries to attack my fingers., lol. I've been using this method to have him stop the shark snapping at my children, and it's worked wonders. I don't know where I read it, but supposedly this is what the alpha dog (dAddy) would do if he didn't like what his pup was doing, slightly pinning him on his back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
The trainer we use (I also have a standard poodle Mr. B will be going to the same private trainer) starts off using praise not treats. Once they start responding to the party praise then we use the treats (for which ever command we are teaching). Our command is drop it sometimes depending on the situation it can also be leave it (emergency of course). The earlier you begin teaching retrieval the better , but at any age its never to late. I wouldn't run after him, but instead get all crazy praising him to bring it back....I swear it works you might look like a nut bag but it is effective lol, if he does not drop it on command take it away and repeat. Work with him a couple of times a day for only 15-30 minutes each time. They get stressed out to :) HTH. O forgot to add when you do use treats find something that is so irresistible he can't help but listen, if he drops it before the command do not give him the treat just repeat these guys/gals are smart he will get it after a while.

Last edited:

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ha I use a similar technique with Mr. B he attacks the kids constantly, now I can just say leave it and he will stop! Except I'm not a dude I'm the head chic of the house ;).

B

Baxter Tiberius

I kneel down next to him, lean over him with his back tucked into my armpit, and I *gently* grasp the nape of his neck and give a *very* subtle grip to it, while leaning down to his face and quietly saying "let go".

For wahtever reason, that body language causes him to willingly release the item. *nothing* else works. And its kind of cool because he looks like he's getting a sweet gentle hug from me. Nothing aggressive about it.

I think the body language Im doing is very "dominant" though, in dog world at least, and he releases.

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Good I am glad its working, hopefully soon you won't have a need to politely jack him up lol..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.