Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did you train your bullie to release??

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How did you train your bullie to release??

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Yeah, this one is a toughie for me too

The way they taught us at the Pet Smart obedience class is, while the toy is in their mouth, hold a treat close to their nose and say "drop it". As soon as they drop the object, give the treat. My problem is with Tate, he will see the treat and will drop the toy before i even say drop it. So he's not really understanding the command. He just sees a treat and he wants to eat it. With Finn, it would have to be something he really loves, like liver, b/c he tends to be more stubborn with letting his toy go.
    exactly what happens with us. we're only able to get the "release" command in the first time.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    @ABEBD Yep, it's usually toys. But it could anything. Earlier today it was a bill. I had to open his mouth, put my hand in and get it out. Of course it ripped!
    @Jennifer Clark ooh, I'm scared to get his ears involved since he lets me do anything I want to them. Which works out great for his weekly cleanings..lol.
    @Pati Robins I didn't think of that no. Will try this approach when he's playing with something I know he doesn't love.

I'm pretty desperate here. Getting tired of sticking my hand into his mouth to take things out. He's never bitten down, but it's not something I want to keep testing.
    This works for us as you are building difficulty -eventually you will gradually stop treats and keep up with praise -takes time but this is one of essential command -very handy when they have something they shouldn't have xx
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ABEBD View Post
    Hi, that is a different issue than just not wanting to drop or release. Aggression with a toy can be dangerous. A professional dog trainer that specializes in agressive behavior is warranted.
    I don't want to get another trainer just yet. He's never bitten us, in fact- he growls and runs, and will even snap at my hand, but he he does let me take it from him if I catch him, and he's never bitten (yet). But if we can't get him to drop things soon, we're going to have to go that route.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I don't want to get another trainer just yet. He's never bitten us, in fact- he growls and runs, and will even snap at my hand, but he he does let me take it from him if I catch him, and he's never bitten (yet). But if we can't get him to drop things soon, we're going to have to go that route.
    I don't think he is growling in aggression. Brutus does this also. It is a game to him and when he gets excited and wants to play he makes a growl like noise. He really isn't growling.
    My smooshy face boy!

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pati Robins View Post
    Check up resource guarding -on my blog
    Thanks, just read it.
    Can you do a step by step guide on toy guarding? lol..

Funny thing with food. I can put my hand in his bowl while he's eating, or even take food out of his mouth and he doesn't react. He just doesn't care. I guess he knows they'll be more. Toys though.. ugh- a whole 'nother story.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    I don't think he is growling in aggression. Brutus does this also. It is a game to him and when he gets excited and wants to play he makes a growl like noise. He really isn't growling.
    hmm.. interesting. Could be why he doesn't bite and runs instead.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks, just read it.
    Can you do a step by step guide on toy guarding? lol..

Funny thing with food. I can put my hand in his bowl while he's eating, or even take food out of his mouth and he doesn't react. He just doesn't care. I guess he knows they'll be more. Toys though.. ugh- a whole 'nother story.
    With toys is is the same thing -we just mostly worked with resource guarding -only few dogs had a toy issues -but we used same technique
    Like i said start from boring things and progress to Blue favourite toys-time ,and patience ;-) xxx
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

hmm.. interesting. Could be why he doesn't bite and runs instead.
    Yes. When Brutus gets something we do not want him to have he will run from us hoping we will chase after him. We will get a treat and sit down and have brutus come to us and show him the treat and tell him to drop it. If he does he gets the treat. Most times he will drop it(it's usually my slipper) WE NEVER CHASE HIM. Try it with Blue, get treat and sit in a chair or couch close to where Blue it and make sure he sees the treat and tell him to come. When he does, the "drop it" starts with the treat as reward. I just want to add as Pati stated, you must win the battle. If Brutus does not drop it, we ignore him until he does. Brutus HATES for us to ignore him more than anything. Of course this goes routine only goes for toys or non-life threatening stuff (duh)! Anything else we will pull out of his mouth
    Last edited by brutus77; 01-27-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    My smooshy face boy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

He wants to play.... when all this is taking place does he play-bow at any time? Him running and you chasing has turned it into a game for him.
    Banks is a VERY rough player... she growls and barks the entire time she is playing, we have to wathc her body language to know she is not playing or is done playing.

And, if he drops the item before the command, ther eis no treat to be given.... if you give the treat before the command, he has trained YOU to give him something based on HIS action, not your command. If this happens, just pick up the item and go about your business, do not acknowledge anything took place.

One thing, just in case you ever think about this.... never throw something in the trash in front of the pup, if they are obsessed with an item and you remove it and then they never see it again, you can cause them to become 'resource guarding' which would need professional trainers to address.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Yes. When Brutus gets something we do not want him to have he will run from us hoping we will chase after him. We will get a treat and sit down and have brutus come to us and show him the treat and tell him to drop it. If he does he gets the treat. Most times he will drop it(it's usually my slipper) WE NEVER CHASE HIM. Try it with Blue, get treat and sit in a chair or couch close to where Blue it and make sure he sees the treat and tell him to come. When he does, the "drop it" starts with the treat as reward.
    Will try this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    He wants to play.... when all this is taking place does he play-bow at any time? Him running and you chasing has turned it into a game for him.
    Banks is a VERY rough player... she growls and barks the entire time she is playing, we have to wathc her body language to know she is not playing or is done playing.

And, if he drops the item before the command, ther eis no treat to be given.... if you give the treat before the command, he has trained YOU to give him something based on HIS action, not your command. If this happens, just pick up the item and go about your business, do not acknowledge anything took place.

One thing, just in case you ever think about this.... never throw something in the trash in front of the pup, if they are obsessed with an item and you remove it and then they never see it again, you can cause them to become 'resource guarding' which would need professional trainers to address.
    Nope, he doesn't do the play-bow when he gets like this. It's like he zones out. It's his all, his- he doesn't want you touching it.

I remember you once said something similar. Not to take away an item and not return it. We made this mistake with his bath toy, and man are we still paying for that little orange pig fiasco. It's one of the things he guards when he first gets out of the bath. But it's not the only one.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I would put Winston is a sit/stay then tell him to drop it… of course I had to have a treat, we hadn't gotten past that point yet. I wouldn't give him the treat unless he followed my commands, because then of course he had ME trained… LOL I had to REALLY be on him because of my grandson's baby toys, and we were so afraid that Winston would swallow them.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@ddnene that's how we feel, that he's training us. But we're trying to fix it!! lol..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads