fridge

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
So hercules has now gotten in the habit of when we open the fridge he tries to sniff everything. and he lately just started doing this. before he would stand behind me and now he's trying to get inside. i've told him no and to get away and out of the fridge but he keeps doing it. i don't know where he got this from and why he thinks it is now ok to do it.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
wouldn't you sniff if you could smell the tasty food inside ? he is still a puppy , keep doing what you are doing -it will eventually sink in :)
also i recommend a book called perfect puppy by gwen bailey -its pack with information for puppy owners as well as training and behavioral tips :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The fridge is "doggie paradise!" :p

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
apparently paradise for him hahaha! i think he tries to get where he sees me pull the carrots from. He is animal with carrots and apples hahha so i guess just keep re-enforcing the get away from the fridge please hahahah

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
apparently paradise for him hahaha! i think he tries to get where he sees me pull the carrots from. He is animal with carrots and apples hahha so i guess just keep re-enforcing the get away from the fridge please hahahah

OOOOOh you are in for it. These guys are the biggest food hounds you will ever meet...Well some of them are lol My Daisy is the biggest pig. She sees,hears or smells anything that resembles our food she will be right at my side...And drooling... It sucks let me tell you!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
So hercules has now gotten in the habit of when we open the fridge he tries to sniff everything. and he lately just started doing this. before he would stand behind me and now he's trying to get inside. i've told him no and to get away and out of the fridge but he keeps doing it. i don't know where he got this from and why he thinks it is now ok to do it.

I'm in the process of teaching mine to stay out of the kitchen area ... first step is to figure out the "term" you are going to use i.e. out; back or away etc ... second step that helps them understand is the training procedure of "body blocking"; stand between the fridge and your dog and walk them backwards away from the fridge, reinforce with the command you have decided to use .... for me when I want them out of the kitchen I back them up using the body block technique and tell them "out" I will talk them backwards to the carpet of the living room wait for a moment so they understand where I want them, tell them to stay using the verbal command and the hand signal that goes with it, then return to what I was doing ... it takes a lot of practice and consistency but if you put in the time they will catch on and eventually they will know not to pass the thresh hold area.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I use commands that they already know to correct certain behaviors. My dogs know sit and stay pretty good. They also know back up pretty good (taught them to walk backwards). So, in the case of the fridge (my dogs don't do this, but if they would this is what I would do), before I open the fridge I would issue the sit and stay command. In the case of walking into a room that they're not allowed in, I would do the sit and stay right there at the boundary (my child is allergic to dogs so the dogs are not allowed in his room, the dogs stop where the wood from the living room ends and the carpet in his room begins). If they go too far before they sit and stay, I issue the back up command then when they're at the boundary, I issue the sit and stay. Works pretty good.

It works for many things - like somebody rings the doorbell, the dogs go ape, I give them a minute to bark at the door then I look through the peep hole and I tell them, "It's okay", and then I tell them to back up, sit, and stay... so then they won't jump on the visitor.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you tried the spray bottle for unwanted behavior? Water in the bottle, spray him with a firm 'no' until he relents... he will not like it and will begin to know what not to do as soon as he sees the bottle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.