My English Bulldog is becoming destructive

Scout123

Jan 26, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Scout
Hello English Bulldog friends,
I am hoping some of you who have experience with this breed can help. I have a one and a half year old female english bulldog. She has been an absolute joy to have. She has never had any behavioral problems, she's fully potty trained, and has never had any aggression issues. She has also never torn up any furniture... until the other night. When I came home from dinner (I was gone maybe an hour) she had ripped open a couch cushion and pulled most of the stuffing out. She was immediately disciplined and moped most of the night because of how ashamed she was. The next day after a short trip to the grocery store I came home and she had completely destroyed a pillow as well as gone to the bathroom in the house (she hasn't used the bathroom in the house since she was a puppy.) She was disciplined yet again. Finally this morning when I got home she had taken off the other couch cushion and chewed a large hole into the bottom of the couch. I am now afraid to leave her here by herself. We attempted to crate her for a few months while she was a puppy, but whenever we would come home she would be covered in her own feces and need a bath. I have no idea what to do. There have been no abrupt changes in her life, her schedule is still the same, she still gets long walks everyday, and she's spoiled rotten. I'm wondering if she's starting to having separation anxiety issues or if this is just an adolescent phase for her? Should I call her vet? In the meantime I don't know what to do with her when I'm gone. We live in an apartment so I can't leave her outside. Has anyone had any experience with this before?
Thanks
Ashley (Scout's Mom)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
It sounds to me like separation anxiety try crating her again now that she is older. Not just for your furniture but for her health because if she ingest any stuffing it could potentially cause a blockage, put a toy in there with her when you leave and maybe a blankey that has your scent on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome: to EBN! Maybe because she's a little older and is potty trained she would do better in the crate this time around. I would try her out in the crate when your home and then try it out when you leave. I think you're right she may have separation anxiety and crating could help her deal with it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with above. I have two that need crated while I am gone, and two that don't! Seems to me that at about a year, or so-they start acting rebellious! Sort of like teen agers!! Crating would be safer for the furniture-and especially for Scout, because as stated, she may swallow stuffing or material and that's not good. Sorry this has happened.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
welcome to the forum
as you got already great advice , i just wanted to add that you should go back to basics with the training - like you would with the puppy , most of my dogs at that age rather that "grow" up they started to do all sorts -so going back to basics will reinforce what she already knows

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I agree w/everyone above… I would try the crate training again. It's the safest place for her, and to keep your furniture in one piece!!!

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I am sorry this is happening, I know it's frustrating. Maybe along with a shirt with your scent a radio on as well, so she doesn't feel so alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
agree with everyone above!!! crate training would be pretty good especially if you guys are gone for a certain amount of time so that your bullie won't rip anything apart and to me, i feel they feel safe in there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: :welcome3: to EBN..... agree with the gang, back to basic crate training as she is rebelling which could turn into sepertion anxiety. Also, correcting her 'after' the fact and not at the time of the incisdent does nothing for them.... dogs live in the moment and have no understanding of the correction unless you get them when they are doing the unwanted behavior. Giving attention, even if negative, when you come home to the mess is telling her 'to get attention, I need to do something'

bronsonsdad

Feb 7, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
How much exercise is the dog getting? Aside from separation anxiety, a dog can have pent up energy that will need to be released somehow, most of the time in not so great ways. If she is not getting a lot of exercise, I would try this as well.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, sorry you're going tthough this with Scout. Hope you can retrain her, and stop the behaviour. You already got tons of great advice above, and agree crate training would be the safest place for her when you aren't home and can't supervise. You could also try blocking her off with a baby gate in a safe room like a kitchen where there isn't any furniture or sofas for her to destroy, and see how she does, leave a radio on for her, and some toys for her to play with. Try it for a half hour first, then an hour, and increase the time to see if she can be trusted. I hope you find a solution. Please keep us posted.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with the crate training advice. And you may need to do this in stages while you are home by placing her in the crate for a short period of time then letting her out an increasing the time in until she gets use to being in the crate for longer periods without anxiety. I am a convinced believer when it comes to crate training. We never leave the home, even for short periods of time without our dogs being in their crates. It's not like prison for them if they are well adjusted to it, the crate becomes a haven and a place to sleep and relax

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.