walking

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
lately I've had a walking issue with hercules, we will go out and he'll do is business but when he starts to see that we are headed back home he stops and sits and when i approach him he starts to lay down and roll on his belly. is it just pure laziness?

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
LOL, they are funny, maybe he does not want to go home yet, if it happens on the way back ???

Bazza loves his treats so if we have issue's like that we would use treat based training ( and encourgement) for awhile, until corrected.

Example: Bazza use to sit and would not move when we walked up the driveway, he did want to go back in the yard, so with alot of happy talk, encouragement and a couple of treats all the way to the gate, when we get in the gate rest of the treat, then he realised going in the gate was fun, then we would only do it when we got in the gate, now we don't have to do it really at all.

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
lol that is probably what it is because he just wants to play outside but he never tires out hahaah we will play and walk around for about an hour and he still never wants to come in, but i'm trying to avoid treats but i will try it.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Funny creatures! We've got the opposite problem - it often takes a long time to get moving when we've got out of the house but then towards the end of our walk when he realises we're heading home, his pace will increase!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
lol that is probably what it is because he just wants to play outside but he never tires out hahaah we will play and walk around for about an hour and he still never wants to come in, but i'm trying to avoid treats but i will try it.
LOL our dogs are the same, mine also doesn't tire out. After playing outside for an hour, he would go to his suitcase (that's where we put his toys so we could close it up when he's unsupervised lol), get one or two of his toys and will bring it to me. If you don't wanna use treats, maybe toys would work?

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
lately I've had a walking issue with hercules, we will go out and he'll do is business but when he starts to see that we are headed back home he stops and sits and when i approach him he starts to lay down and roll on his belly. is it just pure laziness?

How long do you take him out for ? Possibly he's not ready to come home??

I would try walking a different walk just to see it this continues on this new walking route

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
Hercules and I usually walk for 45 mins but lately it's been sooooo cold here in VA so I let him play for about 30 mins and then I try to get him to come back inside but today we walked for an hour and I let him play for 30 mins, he was not so resisting to come in but still was trying to keep playing. Later today I'll bring out his toy but not his ball. He'll never come inside lol

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
Can't help but you are making me lol,,,,,sorry

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
it's alright. i love my bullie and all his stubbornness. it's pretty much a comedy show all the time lol.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava

A lot of times when we want our dogs to do something we use our "fun excited voice" to get them excited about doing something, like "do you want to go bye-bye or for a walk or outside or even to play" said in an excited tone the dog can't wait to join in the fun so maybe you can try to use that same fun excited voice to teach him "lets go home" use the excited voice maybe play around with excited body movement and repeat the "lets go home" so Hercules views going home as exciting as getting to go out for the walk ... once you get home give him lots of praise and affection so he sees going home as a huge reward and he will then be thrilled to head home. If he has a high value toy, maybe use the toy as a second reward to the praise and affection so he gets the good boy praises and affection plus his favorite toy to play with.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

EBD's are very smart. They know the body cues we give them. We have routines that the dogs can learn. In order to change what they have learned and know, we have to change what WE do.

I would suggest going for walks INSIDE the house with a leash. This can reduce the anxiety of walking outside with a leash. When you go for a walk outside, it shouldn't ALWAYS be just to go to the bathroom. Go for a walk to the car and back. Walk around the yard, walk back and forth past the house to try and break the anticipation of going back in the house.

If you have every ridden a stable horse you will understand the conditioned behavior of a rental horse. They are SLOW to leave the stables....and FAST to return. Having horses in the past as well, I owned a horse that I had re-condition. Go away a ways, turn around...as the horse would anticipate the return, I would turn the horse around to break the excitement. This will take several times and many days to correct, but it does work.

The same will work for walking dogs either away from house or back to the house.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.