Bulldog using crate as bathroom

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
Hello everyone
This is my first time posting but I am having a frustrating time with my bulldog. He is constantly using the bathroom in the crate. He is recently crate trained but recently has decided to use his crate as a personal bathroom. It started maybe about 2 months once every 2 weeks the once a week and now it seems like it is happening everyday, but then he can go for days without using the bathroom in his crate. He has a set feeding and bathroom schedule we have even increased his exercise and take him on extra bathroom breaks during the day. I can take him out, go to the store come back home then bam there is pee and poop in the crate. I am getting very frustrated. We have taken him to the vet, and the vet ruled out any urinary tract infection, confirmed that he was healthy and stated that it was just "him being a true stubborn bulldog". I just wanted to know do you have any advice? Has this happened to you with your bulldog? How long did it last. He a very sweet bulldog know his commands just an all around good bulldog, just like to use the bathroom in his crate now.. and it's really frustrating.

Thanks in advance
FYI this isn't my first dog, i had many in past but this is my first time dealing with this. Also he doesn't have any pillows, blankets or covers in his crate

Last edited:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
This type of behavior can be very frustrating and time consuming. Do not give up it can be fixed.
Animal behavior changes are difficult because of the language barrier. Being consistent is very important.

Since you have ruled out any medical issues, it sounds like it is a behavior issue. Having a set schedule for feeding and sleeping is good. It sounds like what you dog is doing is separation anxiety.

A few questions?
Where is the crate located? Is it in the same room or is it in a separate room? Does you dog take a nap in the crate or only at night time or when you leave?

Having the crate located in the same room as where you spend time watching TV, relaxing while doing work allows you dog to be able to see you and still be close. Crate training extends beyond just night time or away time. Teaching your dog to be OK in the crate even in the same room take times. This can help to reduce anxiety of being in the crate when you are not in sight or away.

Adjusting how long your dog stays in the crate can also help. If you have a routine that your dog has learned such as getting your car keys can cause anxiety for a dog. If you keep your dog in the same room in the house can be an issue. You won't have any choice of how you put your dog in the crate and then get keys, etc. Changing that behavior can help. Putting your dog in the crate at different times and NOT leave. Putting dog away for a few minutes and then letting dog outside. Training with the use of a trigger word (go potty..etc) help to let them know it break time and not play time. Putting dog away and then leaving for only a few minutes and come back and let dog out to go to bathroom again.

If you know about how long it takes before your dog goes to the bathroom, adjust the time of being away for less than that time and then gradually make it longer.

It takes time and patience...
Good Day~

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
Thank you so much for responding to my question. To answer your question

Where is the crate located? Is it in the same room or is it in a separate room?
The crate is in the same room.
Does you dog take a nap in the crate or only at night time or when you leave?
He takes a nap in the crate( I can hear him snore through the vents) he sleeps about 7 hours out he whole day, then sleeps at night ( at least I think he's sleep at night)

The crate is located in the basement, all of us is in the basement at the various times of the day. so he's constantly down there except for night time.

This evening he used the bathroom in the crate again, After not going in the crate for 4 whole days. right as i was about to put his chain on for us to go outside, he decided to pee in the crate. However this time things were a little more excited than usual. Do you suggest putting the crate in an different area?

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
How old is he? Also, is the crate size adjusted just enough where he could turn around? I took off the divider thinking that Ace was gonna be ok in a larger crate. A big no! Started peeing on one side and would come lie down on the other dry part. I put the divider again, and it vanished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

Baxter Tiberius

I'm right here with you guys on this! Just started crating Baxter. Definitely needs a divider.
And based on age - they can hold it the same number of hours, as "months" of age. So 7 months old 7 hours.

When you say he pee'd as soon as you got his leash, thats either from excitement, or fear/submissive peeing. Any negative association with the leash can cause that. Any excitement about going out - too.
I once went to the mail room in my building and there was a girl with two english bulldogs.
Both were at least a couple years old.
Both saw me, started doing the piggy wiggle like crazy, and both emptied pee out on the floor.
She was already walking around with a roll of paper towels.
I guess thats "just what they do" .... what a nightmare. Ugh. I am praying baxter outgrows this. I cant imagine having to do what she does .

Try the divider. I think it may be huge. And dont leave him in there longer than his age allows.

We are on day 3 of night time crating, so maybe we can compare notes!

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
How old is he? Also, is the crate size adjusted just enough where he could turn around? I took off the divider thinking that Ace was gonna be ok in a larger crate. A big no! Started peeing on one side and would come lie down on the other dry part. I put the divider again, and it vanished. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He is 9 months old the crate is just big enough for him to turn around, also the crate didn't come with a divder. I took the crate to the vet with me and the said he crate was ok not to big or little

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
Hi He's 9 months old and he is let out about 3 times a day and before he sleeps at night. I think it might be excitement about the leash but he doesn't do it often. Since my last post on the 29th of January until yesterday he hasn't use the bathroom in the crate until this morning around 3am..and of course there was a big puddle of pee in his crate he also just went to the vet for his 9 months checkup in which the vet suggested maybe behaviorist again she also said " that' bulldogs for you"

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Does he have any type of bedding in his crate? If so, take it out and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
Does he have any type of bedding in his crate? If so, take it out and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no bedding in his crate at all..the last time he had bedding was when he was 3 months old

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.