Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, everyone Blossom has started getting into the garbage and stealing stuff out of the garbage can. She has taken the plastic wrap from hamburger meat, yesterday she grabbed and ate some orange peels, and today, she grabbed a whole piece of bread. She has never done this before, so I don't know why she would just start this out of the blue. Does anyone else have a bully that gets into the garbage?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Shy , and my parent boxer "Brutus" had this problem :yes:
I've heard that a dog conducting food orientated destruction in the kitchen/ or garbage could be part of 2 things
if your dog was put on the diet - in my case i had to slim down and she would raid anything for food
Varying your dogs diet can help reduce his hunting for different foods. I don't mean changing his food altogether, but ad a handful of some meat to a mix ins everyday
Keep the bin (garbage) somewhere she can't reach it is the easiest solution. She is getting mega rewards for raiding it so can't see an easy way of dissuading her., ive tried to give her treats to reinforce her positive behavior (not eating anything that does not belong to her), but since she got a free "tasty" food from my bin that did not work-so we changed our bins with a locked lids , and if you cant do this cut the access off
We used to have a boxer who raided our fridge .... we had to instal few child locks high enough so she wouldn't be able to chew it lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Monica my boxer Roxie has just started doing this too, but what's funny is that I saw Marcus hitting the pedal so now the lid goes up. I think that they BOTH have realized how much fun it is to get in the trash can… YEAH!!! LOL

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
None of mine get into the garbage, they'd have to knock it over to do so as it's tall and has s flip lid. Emma does, however, like to into into the bathroom trashes and steal the tissues. :barf:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well-because they CAN!!!! When my Malanois was living, she would flip the lid up with her nose! So, I have always had my trash can backwards-and it is tall for the bullies, so they have never thought of it! I have seen them "eye" the bathroom trash-but I "warned" them-but I mostly keep THAT door closed! Once they start their "tricks", you just have to out do them! Get a stronger, taller trash can! As [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] mentioned-I know if mine fell over-the girls would be at it!!! They are Vultures!ha!ha!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well-because they CAN!!!!

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Totally my fault, but I had a big trash bag hanging off one of my kitchen drawers instead of using a can and I went to the bathroom. Came out and I see Finn laying quietly on his stomach with an empty bag of popcorn next to him which i just threw away. Took me a couple seconds to realize he pilfered thru the trash bag and in his mouth was an entire chicken breast bone. He had his mouth clamped shut, the little stinker! I pryed his mouth open and took out the whole bone and thank God he did not swallow any of it. Good thing i only used the bathroom for a minute b/c if i was taking a shower and that happened…well, i don't even want to think about it. :no:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon sniffs the trash cans in the living room and accompanies me to the trash can in the kitchen but the trash in the kitchen is in a pullout and he hasn't figured out how to open it yet. When he sniffs the cans in the living room I catch him so he doesn't really get into the trash.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Henny-You sure were lucky! I think mine would have swallowed, and I wouldn't know what happened-UNTIL>>>>>>>>>

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If she had the oppurtunity, Banks would, no doubt about it. It was just becasue it was there and she smelled food

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
If we leave a plastic bag of trash accessible to Angus, it's going to get strewn all over the place. If we leave a shoe/slipper accessible to Angus, it's going to get chewed up. Pillows or stuff toys - the same. Neither Bullie nor Gizmo does this. Only Angus!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Well-because they CAN!!!! When my Malanois was living, she would flip the lid up with her nose! So, I have always had my trash can backwards-and it is tall for the bullies, so they have never thought of it! I have seen them "eye" the bathroom trash-but I "warned" them-but I mostly keep THAT door closed! Once they start their "tricks", you just have to out do them! Get a stronger, taller trash can! As [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] mentioned-I know if mine fell over-the girls would be at it!!! They are Vultures!ha!ha!

Definately have to out do them. We keep the rooms blocks off now and the doors closed at night for the bathrooms. Emma is very sneaky that way. She'll go to bed and then sneak back downstairs and either steal a napkin off the coffee table or knock the bathroom trash can over and eat away.

Time for a big NO and a taller trash can. :)

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie is scared of trash bags and trash cans, so she would never try to get into one. My friends dog LOVES the garbage can and eats everything he could out of it, tissues, dirty female things...etc. it's so gross, she had to end up hiding all her garbage cans in closets.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online