But my 5yr old 3 times

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Not a strong bite, but with those easier sharp teeth, my poor little girl hurt. I do notice him lunge at her from time to time, which it correct it immediately. My little girl tried picking him up while he was asleep and he bit her bottom cheek. Another day she put her face at floor level in front of him and he bit her lip. What's the best way to deal with this? Last thing I want is my little girl being afraid of Ace. I'm assuming this is normal behavior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It is normal for them to turn into sharks when they are pups. I would try to keep the little one out of his face until this stops. You just have to stay consistent with training and making him understand this is not acceptable.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Unfortunately this is very normal… my grandson is only 2, and when Winston was very young we had the same issues. I would have to supervise them together at all times, and sometimes I would put Winston in his crate if he wouldn't stop the nipping. Sometimes I would get Marcus to give Winston a toy to chew on instead of his fingers, and that would work… It's short lived, and hopefully if you get him in some puppy training he will learn to please his human family instead of nipping at them. Good Luck!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It is normal puppy (and very bully like) behavior. Of course, you will want
to patiently, kindly and consistently correct him immediately. With bullies,
negative correction doesn't work well if at all~shouting, smacking, shaming
will result in even behavior. Firmly disagree with calmness, shake a can of
coins, screws, nails, etc to startle him into a stop, if so then lavishing praise
and one piece of his dry kibble as treat or give a chew toy right away to re-
direct his attention. Always praise behavior you want, ignore behavior you
don't want (except biting). Teach your child the proper ways of interacting
with your puppy, needed too for when she's around strange dogs.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
This is the way I went about it, please give your feedback. I usually get home about 1 hour after my kids are home from school. So as soon as the kids walk in the door, Ace will go to his kennel for about 1 hour. He will only be around them while I'm next to them so I can closely supervise his behavior and correct on the spot. We will not be leaving Ace alone with them, until we feel 100% trust in him.

Today we tried this. I corrected him about 10 times. I also taught my daughter on how to go about playing with him, and for her not to be scare or show him fear. He tried launching at her while she was on the swings. Corrected him on the spot. When I correct him, I do a stern NO and put him on his back and saying NO BITING. He just looks at me with his goggly eyes, lol. Hopefully I'm doing this right.;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is the way I went about it, please give your feedback. I usually get home about 1 hour after my kids are home from school. So as soon as the kids walk in the door, Ace will go to his kennel for about 1 hour. He will only be around them while I'm next to them so I can closely supervise his behavior and correct on the spot. We will not be leaving Ace alone with them, until we feel 100% trust in him.

Today we tried this. I corrected him about 10 times. I also taught my daughter on how to go about playing with him, and for her not to be scare or show him fear. He tried launching at her while she was on the swings. Corrected him on the spot. When I correct him, I do a stern NO and put him on his back and saying NO BITING. He just looks at me with his goggly eyes, lol. Hopefully I'm doing this right.;)

You can always keep a spray bottle filled with water with you... squirt to the body/face with a firm no or leave it.... it worked great with my gang. All I have to do now is show the bottle and they stop the unwanted behavior

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
The shark bites will hopefully disappear once the baby teeth are gone! Although in the middle of summer, I had to wear socks to protect my toes.

Although it is of course important to let him know when he's doing something unwanted, I still think most of what you describe is his way of playing and trying to interact with the children. If your daughter is on the swings, he will probably try to join her in what to him looks like a fun game. With kids in the house supervising all interaction between dog and child is of course important, and also to train the children as well as the dog as well as lay out rules to children what they can and cannot do with the dog. My kid is older but we still set some basic rules when we got our dog - don't wake the dog up (unless told to help wake him up!), no rough play with the dog indoors, and always respect when the dog signals that he doesn't want to play.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

We use a 12oz soda can 1/4 way filled with coins and the top taped up. I call it a "puppy bomb". It stops whatever behavior I want them to stop immediately. It is the greatest. Now all I have to say is " do you want the puppy bomb" they both look at me and stop what they are doing. There really isn't a wrong way to re direct bad behavior(other than physical which I know you would never do) so whatever you find working, keep at it! Good luck.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Thank you all for the replies. I like the coins in a bottle idea. Will probably try that this weekend. Ace has done better with my daughter these past 2 days.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
We use a 12oz soda can 1/4 way filled with coins and the top taped up. I call it a "puppy bomb". It stops whatever behavior I want them to stop immediately. It is the greatest. Now all I have to say is " do you want the puppy bomb" they both look at me and stop what they are doing. There really isn't a wrong way to re direct bad behavior(other than physical which I know you would never do) so whatever you find working, keep at it! Good luck.

Puppy Bomb I love the name. I tried this but didn't put as much coins and it worked for a week and then she thought it was a toy. Tried the water bottle and she licks it up I left it out once and she got a hold of it and broke the trigger on it. lol. She showed me :blush2:

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Some may disagree with me but I had two crates when he was a pup! One for night night time, and one in the living room for "time outs". Every time he would do things that were unacceptable I said NO bite, and put him in time out crate. Trust me he got the message real quick lol! Some people say that I may teach him to hate the crate. However, that never happened. He loved his night night crate! But when I would scream NO he ran and hid under the table because he didn't want to go to time out lol

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I am going through a similar thing but it's 2 pups being pups. I cannot do the coins because I have an 18 month bully who I trained using this method. The pups like the water spray however I put lemon in it today and it's early days but it's working.
The 2 crates thing may work but my fear is the pup then will relate to going to the crate when bad, this will confuse at time out / night time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Try to avoid Alpha Rolls.

One technique I was shown was to place the dog on his side with one hand on the shoulder and one on the hip As soon as he sighs praise him and let him up.

The other thing I do with Lola is have her relax on command. Relax is down with head down and one foot back.

It is teaching her to center herself and regain control. I quite often train and play with her. She relaxes we do something fun and then she goes back to a relax position.

Praise him every time he regain control on cue.

I think all dogs need to be shown how to regain their composure.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Try to avoid Alpha Rolls.

One technique I was shown was to place the dog on his side with one hand on the shoulder and one on the hip As soon as he sighs praise him and let him up.
The other thing I do with Lola is have her relax on command. Relax is down with head down and one foot back.

It is teaching her to center herself and regain control. I quite often train and play with her. She relaxes we do something fun and then she goes back to a relax position.
Praise him every time he regain control on cue.
I think all dogs need to be shown how to regain their composure.
I would love to see a picture of the relax position. I am trying everything I can to get my puppy on the right track of being a calm and enjoyable dog. Trying everything till I find something that works. Cant get the picture though of what your puppy is doing having a duh moment 4 kids and new pup (dont judge lol). Thanks in advance.

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
I would love to see a picture of the relax position. I am trying everything I can to get my puppy on the right track of being a calm and enjoyable dog. Trying everything till I find something that works. Cant get the picture though of what your puppy is doing having a duh moment 4 kids and new pup (dont judge lol). Thanks in advance.

This is a variant of relax.
usually it is head between paws. right foot back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online