Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: But my 5yr old 3 times

Default Re: But my 5yr old 3 times

Try to avoid Alpha Rolls.

One technique I was shown was to place the dog on his side with one hand on the shoulder and one on the hip As soon as he sighs praise him and let him up.

The other thing I do with Lola is have her relax on command. Relax is down with head down and one foot back.

It is teaching her to center herself and regain control. I quite often train and play with her. She relaxes we do something fun and then she goes back to a relax position.

Praise him every time he regain control on cue.

I think all dogs need to be shown how to regain their composure.
    Princess Lola and the Pea , ACGC, CGC, Registered Therapy Dog through Therapy Dogs Incorporated.

Real Name
    Yvette
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lynn Westre View Post
    Try to avoid Alpha Rolls.

One technique I was shown was to place the dog on his side with one hand on the shoulder and one on the hip As soon as he sighs praise him and let him up.
    The other thing I do with Lola is have her relax on command. Relax is down with head down and one foot back.

It is teaching her to center herself and regain control. I quite often train and play with her. She relaxes we do something fun and then she goes back to a relax position.
    Praise him every time he regain control on cue.
    I think all dogs need to be shown how to regain their composure.
    I would love to see a picture of the relax position. I am trying everything I can to get my puppy on the right track of being a calm and enjoyable dog. Trying everything till I find something that works. Cant get the picture though of what your puppy is doing having a duh moment 4 kids and new pup (dont judge lol). Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Amor View Post
    I would love to see a picture of the relax position. I am trying everything I can to get my puppy on the right track of being a calm and enjoyable dog. Trying everything till I find something that works. Cant get the picture though of what your puppy is doing having a duh moment 4 kids and new pup (dont judge lol). Thanks in advance.
    This is a variant of relax.
    usually it is head between paws. right foot back.
    Princess Lola and the Pea , ACGC, CGC, Registered Therapy Dog through Therapy Dogs Incorporated.

relaxing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -lola-relax-jpg  

Real Name
    Yvette
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lynn Westre View Post
    relaxing
    Thank you very much for the picture. I am going to try this in Mia. How did you teach her how to do this? Was it from the lie down command?

Real Name
    Desiree
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    General Patton
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4flowers View Post
    Some may disagree with me but I had two crates when he was a pup! One for night night time, and one in the living room for "time outs". Every time he would do things that were unacceptable I said NO bite, and put him in time out crate. Trust me he got the message real quick lol! Some people say that I may teach him to hate the crate. However, that never happened. He loved his night night crate! But when I would scream NO he ran and hid under the table because he didn't want to go to time out lol
    @4flowers I complely agree with you. We have a zero tolerance for biting in our house and Patton gets a short time out every single time his teeth hits any parts of skin. He's starting to slowly get it, he's only a puppy, not even 4 months old yet. However he absolutely loves his crate and this hasn't changed that in any way. His crate is so comfy I'd sleep in it if I had to!
    Proud to be Patton's Mommy.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    I am going through a similar thing but it's 2 pups being pups. I cannot do the coins because I have an 18 month bully who I trained using this method. The pups like the water spray however I put lemon in it today and it's early days but it's working.
    The 2 crates thing may work but my fear is the pup then will relate to going to the crate when bad, this will confuse at time out / night time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    They really don't relate it to being bad. I did this with Brutus when he was going through this. Even to this day, I will put them both down for naps if they are really out of control and not listening. When Bru was little and really nipping, I would sternly say, "no biting" then I would put him in his crate. Most of the time he needed a nap and would fall asleep and wake up being my sweet little boy. If he did not fall asleep, he was only in there for a few minutes so he understood that if he wanted to be with the family biting was unacceptable. Most times he needed the nap. I always try to equate them with infants. When you have an infant that is crying and fussy, you put them to bed. Same with bullys.
    My smooshy face boy!

I had help from her trainer in class. It did start from the down command.

We would cue relax and treat her when she put her head down. "good relax"
    It takes awhile for her to get it but now I can ask her are you relaxed and she will put her foot back.

The behavior is so strong now that she "throws" the behavior if she is unsure as to what I am asking her to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads