bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Radar really likes his crate, we don't make him sleep in it -- but most of the time he does with the door open. He very, very rarely has to be kept in his crate with the door closed when we are not home. We live across the street from my in-laws and they are doggy day care. He has toys, water, a huge yard to explore and companionship most of the day while we are at work.

The problem I have is he doesn't want to come out of his crate in the mornings. He gets up usually at 6:40am. potty break and breakfast he does eat, but very little,he will come check out what I am doing in the bed room and say "HI" to our son and then he goes into to his crate and just sits there or lays down. about 7:20 its time for a potty break and off to doggy day care so I can drop Gavin off and be at work by 8, BUT, I can't get him to come out of his crate to leave the house

Help!! Any Suggestions?? :ponder:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol he's not a morning guy. Have you tried enticing him out with a treat? My guys will do anything for a treat, or we just have to say "you wanna go outside", or " you wanna go for a walk".

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I have tried treats and he still won't come out very easily -- when he finally does he will sit get his treat and turn and run back in -- he can be a quick little guy if he wants to be

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have tried treats and he still won't come out very easily -- when he finally does he will sit get his treat and turn and run back in -- he can be a quick little guy if he wants to be

I wonder if after you give him his breakfast you were to close the door to the crate so he can spend some time with you guys?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have this same problem, although I don't really consider it a problem as I work from home. But yeah, when I go out to pick up kids from school, I want to get Bullie out to pee before I leave the house and a lot of times she doesn't want to come out. I have to use my super firm voice to let her know I mean business. She is stubborn so she will test me most times but she knows she's not winning this argument.

So yeah, my advice - be the boss of him. It's the same idea as when you tell him to Sit and he refuses to do it... be firm.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
What about shutting the door?? Vegas loves his crate too, but once he's up in the morning, its the couch for the rest of the day, (I don't shut the door either, but he goes night-night in his crate)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Find a very high valued treat and then only use it when you want him out of the crate

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Thank you for all of the advice. I have another dumb question. What does everyone consider a high value treat

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for all of the advice. I have another dumb question. What does everyone consider a high value treat

Each dog is different... It is just something the love more than anything else... For my girl, it is food in general, so we are lucky that way. Some pups, it will be cheese, or boiled chicken, piece of dried liver... Etc. you have to find what that is and the. Only use it when you really need him to do something you know is going to be above the challenge level.

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Ok we did find out last night he really love's steak after one of the cats got a hold of a piece our son didn't eat maybe I will try that we have some left over

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I wonder if after you give him his breakfast you were to close the door to the crate so he can spend some time with you guys?

I was thinking the same as Phil here that you may need to close the gate to the crate so he spends more time with the family

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
well i must say that its nice to hear that others have the same issue. We used to have a really hard time getting lola out of her crate in the morning. we'd call it the scoop! we'd have to wake her up a few times and eventually use our entire body to scoop her out for morning stuffs. If we were smart, we'd close the crate so she couldnt go back in. Now that she sleeps in our bed (earned free roam of the house), we still have to hog carry her out of bed in the am. and then if my husband doesnt close the bedroom door (where i am still sleeping), Lola will come right back up into bed with me, even before getting a treat for pees! me and her are the same like that, NOT morning people :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our bullies love Fruitables, and they are good for them too. You can get them from some pet food stores or PetFlow.

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
I have the same problem with Hulk but it happens at night after he's had dinner. My boyfriend and I swear he starts acting weird, for lack of a better term, when the sun goes down. He refuses to come out to potty and won't come out for treats, food, or toys.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Bullies can be stubborn. I have one that is def not a morning person. The dogs have their dog room built onto/into the house where they all sleep at night. They all sleep in a crate...except the two that get to sleep in the house...(yes... a King and a Queen gets special privilage..., each night they get rotated for house privilages). But one dog just loves his crate. He won't come out...hardly. All the other dogs jump up to go out, make noise bouncing around the crates, light on, door open, cold air coming in....he is asleep. I wish I HAD that kind on sleeping ability. After about 10-15 minutes, he get about half way out and then stops...then maybe he will go out for p&p.... sometimes he will even decide to not eat but rather jump up on his spot on the couch (the dogs have their own couch) and just sleep. He is the most laid back bully we have !

Just part of EBD ownership eh?
Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.