Help Needed! Bocephus is home but he's pooping and peeing in his crate

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Hi Everyone. I finally got Bocephus home on Friday and I know he's adjusting to his new environment but every time I put him in his crate, within a few minutes and after a crying fit, he poops. I always take him out just before bed time and any other time I will be crating him (so far only short periods for showers or at night for a couple hours). He is 4 months old now and is the sweetest boy in the world - I'm sure it'll even get better once he's done teething. I think he KNOWS that after he poops, I'll take him out to clean the crate.

Today is his first time alone in the crate at the house, I'm at the office now and will go home at lunch to let him out and play. I'm terrified of what I'll go home to.....

Any help at all will be appreciated. I'm not feeding him right before he goes into the kennel and he doesn't really have many accidents besides in his crate.

Thanks EB family 1524585_564256030331915_1629359159_n.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You say you "finally got him home". Was he in hospital, or did you just get him? He may have been a caged pup, where he was,. and had no choice but to poop in his cage.
If you have not had him long-or changed his food,or are giving him too much, it will take awhile for him to adjust to a new life. At four months, he will still have to go out quite often, especially if he never had a routine. It is hard to determine, as you have not stated the back ground of the pup, how long you have had him?

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I got him on Friday from the breeders. I never got to see where they were keeping him but each time I would come over to see him, he was freshly bathed so there is a strong possibility that he may have had no choice but to relieve himself in his crate. He seems as if it doesn't bother him at all, he'll lay in his own pee if I don't catch it immediately. Poor baby, I've pulled all the blankets out of his crates (one upstairs for night and one downstairs if I have to leave). I am still feeding him the Iams puppy food that they had him on but am now mixing in some Nude Food to get him switched over to something better. His stools are solid, although I will try cutting his amount back a little.

This is my first puppy, the other Bullies I've had were older adoptions. I'm exhausted from the puppy routine but I just love him so much already. I want to make sure he's not stuck in a mess for 4 hours at a time while I have to run errands or come to the office.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well it sounds like the breeder just kept him in his crate all the time and he doesn't know any better. It's a shame as some breeders do not take the time to let them out and start potty training them. We always start potty training our pups at a very young age, usually around their 5th week of age. This way they start to get the process. Plus we will attach a play pin to their crate, so they can get out to potty on the puppy pads, then go back in their crate to sleep. It's a real shame when these other breeders breed only for money and don't give the time and love to their pups like they should. Just be patient with him, and keep taking him out, and when he does go potty outside, praise him like crazy. He will pee and poop in there at night foe a little while yet because he still can not hold it for more then about 4 hours. Usually one hour for every month of age. He will eventually get with the program, once he gets a little older.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds to me (although it's a guess) like he had been crated most or all the time, and is in the habit of pooping and peeing in his area. Most pups, who have had the choice-don't like to soil their sleeping area. It may take awhile for him to get out of that habit. If you are switching food, do it VERY slowly, or he may get loose stools, and you will have a much worse mess! When some of my pups were small, I had their crate surrounded by a "fence" which I had gotten ina dogggie supply-or you can go online. Had a puppy pad outside of the crate.
715764100513E.jpg
If he had an area outside of his crate-he might choose to poop and pee out there. They are pens, that come in different heights.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, Just saw that while I was typing(so slow....) [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] told you the same thing!! (I guess I had a good idea!!!ha!ha!)

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You guys are great!!! Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I'll get him a pen to put up in the kitchen for when I have to be at the office. At night, when he is in his crate at night, perhaps I can get him out of the habit if I watch him like a hawk for the first 10 minutes and then take him back outside in case he feels the urge. He sleeps well in the crate after I clean it all up again. I know it will just take time, he's a typical English Bulldog puppy and is soooooo stubborn. He hates being out in the Utah cold these past few nights but I'll do anything to break him of the habit - it's just so bad for his skin and health. Poor baby

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
David and Lynn gave you great advice.... Best of luck and remember it is all about routine and patience

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Good advice already posted. Amazing how many great people are here to provide information.

Good Day~

Judeanrn

Jan 7, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodacious
Hi Everyone. I finally got Bocephus home on Friday and I know he's adjusting to his new environment but every time I put him in his crate, within a few minutes and after a crying fit, he poops. I always take him out just before bed time and any other time I will be crating him (so far only short periods for showers or at night for a couple hours). He is 4 months old now and is the sweetest boy in the world - I'm sure it'll even get better once he's done teething. I think he KNOWS that after he poops, I'll take him out to clean the crate.

Today is his first time alone in the crate at the house, I'm at the office now and will go home at lunch to let him out and play. I'm terrified of what I'll go home to.....

Any help at all will be appreciated. I'm not feeding him right before he goes into the kennel and he doesn't really have many accidents besides in his crate.

Thanks EB familyView attachment 64880[/QUOTE I agree. Probably been caged his whole life. When Bodacious was 4 months I started leaving him in the laundry room with a baby gate. He did great! Never peed on the pad once even though he did occasionally go in his crate. He has had run of the house since about 8-9 months.

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just a quick update to everyone who has had such great advice. Bocephus is spending 4 hours at a time in his kennel now with no accidents. I've taken his blankets out as he thinks those are for soiling, and it's helped a lot. Even the crying is down to about 10 minutes or so before he just lays down to relax. We're still struggling a little with the going outside to poo, but he'll get it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just a quick update to everyone who has had such great advice. Bocephus is spending 4 hours at a time in his kennel now with no accidents. I've taken his blankets out as he thinks those are for soiling, and it's helped a lot. Even the crying is down to about 10 minutes or so before he just lays down to relax. We're still struggling a little with the going outside to poo, but he'll get it.

Great update.... Stay consistent

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online