Help Needed! We could use some help, out of ideas!

MynameisSpanky

Jan 20, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. The Mrs. and I have a two year old English Bulldog named Spanky who is having some issues with our other dogs. When we got him two years ago we had an eleven year old basset hound female (now 13), a five year old Boxer male un-neutered (now 7), a four year old male Boxer un-neutered (now 6) and a one year old Boxer female spayed (now 3). We noticed some aggression issues with him early on, but we really didn't think much of it. Its gotten more progressive in the last two years as now, even neutered he's still testing the dominant male of the house, the now 6 year old male. I think the problem is somehow dominance related. I know this is a very vague description of the problem, and if anyone would like to ask specific questions to get a better idea of the problem, please ask. or if anyone knows of any good literature or websites we can check out to get started we'd sure appreciate it. Also, we'd be open to a trainer if anyone knows of an affordable one in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Thanks a lot and we look forward to hearing back

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi. ...:welcome3: to EBN! He is trying to take the alpha role , it seems by the description you give. Under the training forum, there is a sticky thread.... Nothing in life is free.... Great training tool, make him work for everything so he knows your are alpha.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
It's going to take patience and a lot of positive reinforcement. My wife is a psych major, and is currently getting a masters as a behavior analyst, lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Just wanted to say HI and welcome to EBN! You certainly have a busy household and behavioral training sounds like a very good idea. Do take a look at the threads that Christine mentioned. Has Spanky gone through some basic training already? When you do find a trainer you may think about having both Spanky and your 6yo Boxer train together.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
:EBNwelcome:
I don't have anything to add.....my two are complete chaos in themselves. Just wanted to say Hi and welcome.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi and welcome, looks like you already got great advice regarding training. The only other thing I can think of that would be different or that has changed in the two years since you got him, is that he is now starting to enter what they call the terrible twos, just like a toddler would.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. The Mrs. and I have a two year old English Bulldog named Spanky who is having some issues with our other dogs. When we got him two years ago we had an eleven year old basset hound female (now 13), a five year old Boxer male un-neutered (now 7), a four year old male Boxer un-neutered (now 6) and a one year old Boxer female spayed (now 3). We noticed some aggression issues with him early on, but we really didn't think much of it. Its gotten more progressive in the last two years as now, even neutered he's still testing the dominant male of the house, the now 6 year old male. I think the problem is somehow dominance related. I know this is a very vague description of the problem, and if anyone would like to ask specific questions to get a better idea of the problem, please ask. or if anyone knows of any good literature or websites we can check out to get started we'd sure appreciate it. Also, we'd be open to a trainer if anyone knows of an affordable one in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Thanks a lot and we look forward to hearing back

From a training stand point, the only "Alpha" in the home must be the humans, all the dogs need to understand that they don't hold an alpha role over any of the other dogs, this will prevent a lot of trouble. Not sure how you feel about Cesar Milan but the man knows dogs and he can bring any dog, balanced or unbalanced into his pack and the pack look to him for direction, I have read almost all of his books and completely believe in his techniques! If you establish yourself as the "Pack Leader" your pack will follow you and follow your lead all the time, setting clear and consistent Rules, Boundaries and Limitations for the whole pack will create a balanced pack and that in itself will prevent a lot of "dominance issues"

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.