Used Clorox Wipes to Clean Crate

J

joshray

I Used Clorox Wipes to Clean Crate

Charlie had an accident in his crate yesterday and I wiped it down with a Clorox wipe. I put him back in the crate about an hour or two later and he almost immediately peed again (even though he'd just gone potty outside). I'm wondering if you guys think he either a) still smelled the pee or b) didn't like the clorox smell and tried to cover it or mark it?

I normally use Nature's Miracle, but thought the wipes might work better on the plastic tray in his crate.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is Charlie and how big is the crate?

OP
J

joshray

He's 11 weeks old. The crate is big, but he's only had one other accident in it before this.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Do you have a divider for his crate? If so I would install it leaving only enough room for him to sit, lie down and turn around.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
For future reference, after wiping with clorox wipes, wipe it down with paper towel soaked in distilled white vinegar. This el cheapo product gets rid of the pee smell. The vinegary smell dissipates in a few minutes.

But, I don't think he is marking. They don't normally do that where they sleep. And rarely at 11 weeks old.

OP
J

joshray

Thanks for the help, no divider, I'm trying to figure out how to make one that is chew-proof. My questions is really because he peed almost as soon as I put him back in even though he just peed outside. I'm wondering if he didn't like the smell of the clorox and tried to cover it up, or if he just really had to go?

Last edited:

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
I've never had this problem so unfortunately I may not be of much help however there is someone in my dog's puppy kindergarten class that went through this for a long time and our trainer said it was because her dog was asserting his dominance and did not like to be in a crate. Perhaps it has nothing to do with the smell but rather he does not want to be in the crate. Her advice was to put a blanket on the crate and make it more like a comfy cave. He did however still pee out the sides when she did that but every dog is different. I'm just saying perhaps it does not have anything to do with the smell. Best of luck! :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Todd regarding placing a divider in Charlie's cage, it may be due to him having to much room in the crate, he should only have enough room to turn around and lay down, a dog usually will not soil where they lay. Do you have any blankets or pillows in the crate with him? Some bullies will soil on their bedding, and will stop only after the bedding is removed. I don't think he was marking or peeing in his crate because he didn't like the smell. We clean our plastic crate tray with just dish soap and hot water, because I'm afraid of using cleaners with chemicals and would be afraid of the bleach being toxic. You could use vinegar and water to clean his crate, it is a natural cleaner and would remove the odours. Charlie could have a bladder infection because frequent peeing and having accidents are both signs of a urinary tract Infection. If he continues to pee more frequently, or have accidents, I would have the vet check him for a UTI.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
11 Weeks is pretty young so I doubt he was marking. Sounds like he just has too much room in his crate.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online