Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Crate training and crying

  1. #1
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Location
    McAllen, TX
    Posts
    460
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Crate training and crying

    Good morning everyone. I know it's way too soon, but I would like to obtain some knowledge on this matter if anyone has some input. We have ha Ace going on 3 days today . First night he did great in his crate. A pout here and there, but nothing much. Last night I took him to go potty, which he did. It was late (close to midnight), I placed him in his crate. He cried and pouted for almost 3hrs straight. I didn't want to be checking up on him every 5 min making sure he doesn't link crying in his crate with attention. I'm assuming this is normal. What is the best way to tackle this? Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

  2. #2
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    This is extremely normal… LOL and it's heartbreaking to hear them cry It won't last forever, and honestly the crate is the best place for them to be as puppies so they can be safe when you are away, sleeping or in my case in the shower!!! Believe me, in NO time he will LOVE his crate. My dogs would sleep in theirs during the day w/the door opened…

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  3. #3
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Lisabear123's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Gainesville, Ga
    Posts
    2,454
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    It is def normal for whining when crated, usually you can ignore it n it will stop. Do you have anything in the crate? Maybe a shirt that smells like you would provide him w some comfort? Where is his crate? Maybe if you have the space, you can move the crate into your bedroom n that way he can be near you and if he starts whining you can reach over to it or go to it n stick your fingers in and if it continues give a stern no? I had Brie's crate in the bedroom, it helped me cos at 8 was she had to go out every cpl hours throughout the nite.
    Last edited by Lisabear123; 01-17-2014 at 10:21 AM.

  4. #4
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,361
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2311
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    Agree with above advice. If they cry for longer than a few minutes I will go up to their crate and stick my fingers in, but never take them out. I think sometimes if they cry for long periods of time it's because they think you can hear them so they just keep calling for you. We actually set an alarm for every few hours that way they go out for potty on our schedule and learn fast that crying does not get them out. Hope this helps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  5. #5
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Location
    McAllen, TX
    Posts
    460
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Agree with above advice. If they cry for longer than a few minutes I will go up to their crate and stick my fingers in, but never take them out. I think sometimes if they cry for long periods of time it's because they think you can hear them so they just keep calling for you. We actually set an alarm for every few hours that way they go out for potty on our schedule and learn fast that crying does not get them out. Hope this helps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually have him in the living room/kitchen cause his crate does not fit in our room. Last night I did get up and made sure he knew I was around, giving him a stern "NO". That lasted about 2 minutes, lol. He does have one of our kids baby blankets with him, as well as nylabone (I'm scared to leave any other toys he may rip up and eat). His crate has a divider, which I made enough space for him to turn around. Luckily, he has not peed or poo'ed in his crate He eats at 6:30am and last meal is at 8pm, which I take him out about 10-15min after his meal. I then take him out at 11am, 2am, 4am, and 6am (when I get up), and he does well. It's so hard to not let him out. Wish I could just have him sleep with me, lol.

  6. #6
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    You've been given great advice and are doing a great job. He will get the hang of it soon enough just have to stick with the routine.

  7. #7
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    Quote Originally Posted by Krypto13 View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually have him in the living room/kitchen cause his crate does not fit in our room. Last night I did get up and made sure he knew I was around, giving him a stern "NO". That lasted about 2 minutes, lol. He does have one of our kids baby blankets with him, as well as nylabone (I'm scared to leave any other toys he may rip up and eat). His crate has a divider, which I made enough space for him to turn around. Luckily, he has not peed or poo'ed in his crate He eats at 6:30am and last meal is at 8pm, which I take him out about 10-15min after his meal. I then take him out at 11am, 2am, 4am, and 6am (when I get up), and he does well. It's so hard to not let him out. Wish I could just have him sleep with me, lol.
    Many owners on here DO have their babies sleep w/them… I would just advice waiting till he's potty trained!!! I could never do it because I'm allergic to dogs, and my allergist said to NOT put them in the bed. So they would sleep on the floor beside me… LOL

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  8. #8
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,747
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1357

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    Does he need to sleep in a crate? If he's just a small guy who has recently been separated from his mum and siblings, sleeping on his own might be tough. I'm a firm believer in attachment parenting, and since getting a puppy is very much like having a new baby in the house, I would think that while he settles in, it would be better for him to sleep in a basket or cardboard box or something close to where you sleep. Castor slept next to our bed in his basket the first months, and the first nights, I literally held him by the hand. Now he sleeps (still in a basket, although a bigger one!) outside of our bedroom.

  9. #9
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Location
    McAllen, TX
    Posts
    460
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    Update on night #3: not a peep! I let him go out at midnight, 3am and again 6:30am for potty breaks. He went back into his "bat cave" on his own...thanks for the info guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

  10. #10
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,361
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2311
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    Quote Originally Posted by AceTheBathound View Post
    Update on night #3: not a peep! I let him go out at midnight, 3am and again 6:30am for potty breaks. He went back into his "bat cave" on his own...thanks for the info guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great news !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  11. #11
    Bullshiht-zu mavsfan4life's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cyndi
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,394
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mayhem
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Crate training and crying

    Quote Originally Posted by AceTheBathound View Post
    Update on night #3: not a peep! I let him go out at midnight, 3am and again 6:30am for potty breaks. He went back into his "bat cave" on his own...thanks for the info guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome! He will soon come to love his crate


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •