Crate training and crying

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Good morning everyone. I know it's way too soon, but I would like to obtain some knowledge on this matter if anyone has some input. We have ha Ace going on 3 days today :). First night he did great in his crate. A pout here and there, but nothing much. Last night I took him to go potty, which he did. It was late (close to midnight), I placed him in his crate. He cried and pouted for almost 3hrs straight. I didn't want to be checking up on him every 5 min making sure he doesn't link crying in his crate with attention. I'm assuming this is normal. What is the best way to tackle this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is extremely normal… LOL and it's heartbreaking to hear them cry :( It won't last forever, and honestly the crate is the best place for them to be as puppies so they can be safe when you are away, sleeping or in my case in the shower!!! Believe me, in NO time he will LOVE his crate. My dogs would sleep in theirs during the day w/the door opened…

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
It is def normal for whining when crated, usually you can ignore it n it will stop. Do you have anything in the crate? Maybe a shirt that smells like you would provide him w some comfort? Where is his crate? Maybe if you have the space, you can move the crate into your bedroom n that way he can be near you and if he starts whining you can reach over to it or go to it n stick your fingers in and if it continues give a stern no? I had Brie's crate in the bedroom, it helped me cos at 8 was she had to go out every cpl hours throughout the nite.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with above advice. If they cry for longer than a few minutes I will go up to their crate and stick my fingers in, but never take them out. I think sometimes if they cry for long periods of time it's because they think you can hear them so they just keep calling for you. We actually set an alarm for every few hours that way they go out for potty on our schedule and learn fast that crying does not get them out. Hope this helps. :)

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Agree with above advice. If they cry for longer than a few minutes I will go up to their crate and stick my fingers in, but never take them out. I think sometimes if they cry for long periods of time it's because they think you can hear them so they just keep calling for you. We actually set an alarm for every few hours that way they go out for potty on our schedule and learn fast that crying does not get them out. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually have him in the living room/kitchen cause his crate does not fit in our room. Last night I did get up and made sure he knew I was around, giving him a stern "NO". That lasted about 2 minutes, lol. He does have one of our kids baby blankets with him, as well as nylabone (I'm scared to leave any other toys he may rip up and eat). His crate has a divider, which I made enough space for him to turn around. Luckily, he has not peed or poo'ed in his crate :) He eats at 6:30am and last meal is at 8pm, which I take him out about 10-15min after his meal. I then take him out at 11am, 2am, 4am, and 6am (when I get up), and he does well. It's so hard to not let him out. Wish I could just have him sleep with me, lol.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You've been given great advice and are doing a great job. He will get the hang of it soon enough just have to stick with the routine.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually have him in the living room/kitchen cause his crate does not fit in our room. Last night I did get up and made sure he knew I was around, giving him a stern "NO". That lasted about 2 minutes, lol. He does have one of our kids baby blankets with him, as well as nylabone (I'm scared to leave any other toys he may rip up and eat). His crate has a divider, which I made enough space for him to turn around. Luckily, he has not peed or poo'ed in his crate :) He eats at 6:30am and last meal is at 8pm, which I take him out about 10-15min after his meal. I then take him out at 11am, 2am, 4am, and 6am (when I get up), and he does well. It's so hard to not let him out. Wish I could just have him sleep with me, lol.

Many owners on here DO have their babies sleep w/them… I would just advice waiting till he's potty trained!!! I could never do it because I'm allergic to dogs, and my allergist said to NOT put them in the bed. So they would sleep on the floor beside me… LOL

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Does he need to sleep in a crate? If he's just a small guy who has recently been separated from his mum and siblings, sleeping on his own might be tough. I'm a firm believer in attachment parenting, and since getting a puppy is very much like having a new baby in the house, I would think that while he settles in, it would be better for him to sleep in a basket or cardboard box or something close to where you sleep. Castor slept next to our bed in his basket the first months, and the first nights, I literally held him by the hand. Now he sleeps (still in a basket, although a bigger one!) outside of our bedroom.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Update on night #3: not a peep! I let him go out at midnight, 3am and again 6:30am for potty breaks. He went back into his "bat cave" on his own...thanks for the info guys.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Update on night #3: not a peep! I let him go out at midnight, 3am and again 6:30am for potty breaks. He went back into his "bat cave" on his own...thanks for the info guys.

Great news !

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem

Awesome! He will soon come to love his crate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.