foster girl being aggressive

brwneyes6269

Jan 5, 2013
Union, South Carolina, United States
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Caroline and Piper
I got Daisy last sunday and will be keeping her until March sometime when her "mom" can come get her. I have never been around Daisy until Sunday. We brought her home to live with us with my 2 other bulldogs Emily and Oliver. Well it started out fine but now she is getting aggressive, she bit my hubby Saturday and last night she was on the bed with us and was trying to fight Emily so i patted her butt and told her to get down she turned to try to bite me and I pushed her away and she growled at me the whole entire time I was making her go to her crate, she ended up sleeping in her crate all night. I know she is a sweet girl and is probably confused as she has been passed to 3 different homes in the last year. I don't wanna give up on this sweet girl but I will NOT tolerate the biting especially if she bites one of my grandchildren. I don't know what to do because my 2 never was aggressive except the "playful" puppy stage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a face book account and am on this page there but her "mom" reads what i post so I came here to seek answers. I want her to be a part of the family even if it's just temporarily ( which I think will end up permanently because of her "mom" situation and her location I'm in South Carolina and she is in California. She has not been spayed per her "mom" request, she wants to eventually breed her she is almost 3 years old so the puppy stage has passed or at least I would think so. We went through the dominant part of the ordeal already and that was no issue right now. I'm just so lost because I have never had a dog to be like that she gets loving and is up my hubby's butt (LOL) all the time...sorry so long but trying to get everything out!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome here, sorry we've not answered this sooner, I think we'll hungover
from my birthday celebration, HAHAHA!

GOD bless you for taking her in until Mom can get her. I agree, aggression is
a problem with kids around. That being said, do not think she is, so quickly.
She is not trusting and stressed in another NEW environment with a mix of
people, kids, dogs, etc to take in & sort through. Daisy might feel safer in her
crate right now and exposed more slowly to your dogs. To me, this isn't
aggression at this point, just trying to establish her rights in unknown territory.
Give her more time, expose her more one on one and do not let her on the
couch, bed etc with y'all and your dogs too (right now) as that will naturally
cause dominance issues with your dogs claiming you & their home. Keep us
informed, will pray over all!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Carol hit the nail on the head --- she is scared and unsure. Slowly work her into the pack. If you can gate her in another room where she can see and be seen or crate her. Take them on walks together and provide supervised leashed play time until she settles in. Mya take a week or two form them to iron it all out, but slow is best.

I tagged Rosalie, she just finished this experience and should be able to add more suggestions/advice.

good luck and than you for caring for this little girl

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We did just go through this but the opposite. Our established dog did not want the rescue in the house. We separared them from each other with a kiddie gate that they could see each other through. The rescue had the kitchen and bedroom and our Brutus had the rest of the house. This allows the dogs to get used to each other without the stress of them being together. We did this until Brutus started displaying body language that he was accepting the rescue. This includes no staring, no rigid body and he started turning his body sideways to Frankie the rescue, which indicates Brutus was giving a submissive signal. Finally Brutus Was bringing toys to the new rescue. I would separate them and let the rescue settle In a bit, then harness and leash both dog's for a supervised interaction. Eventually they will be great friends. You will know by their body language with the leashed interaction when they will be ready to be free. The new rescue is still trying to figure out what is going on. Good luck and message me if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Also, we picked up all of the established dogs toys. No toys until they are interacting together with ease then you can introduce toys slowly to see how they share. Don't forget when they are finally together they will play and wrestle and it will sound aggressive. This is not aggressive behavior. It is completely normal as long as they are grunting not growling. You will know the difference. We have a soda can filled a quarter of the way with coins and the top taped closed that we call the puppy bomb. We give it a good shake and shout "ENOUGH" we feel they had enough of the wrestling. It is all about reading body language before you get an escalation of behavior.

OP
brwneyes6269

brwneyes6269

Jan 5, 2013
Union, South Carolina, United States
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Caroline and Piper
The dogs are getting along just fine except i think she thinks Emily is hurting me while we are playing so she tries to go after her..., she stays out with them all day no fights at all between them just when it comes to play time. Maybe that's when she needs a one on one instead of all dog piles up on me LOL...I will try that and let you all know how well that works out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.