Help Needed! Bad Behavior!!

bullydogbruno

Jan 15, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
My fiance rescued Bruno about 4 years ago from the side of the road, nobody is clear as to how old he is. He has regular vet check-ups and is NOT fixed. Latley he has been getting very aggressive, so bad to the point of biting and holding onto my fiances thumb last night. I'm almost positive this has to do with his grandma giving him whatever he wants, and disregarding all negative behavior (his little brother does the same). Other than training the people, what are the best training techniques we could use to get his aggression down?

Thank you!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Thanks for rescuing poor Bruno… I have always started my dogs out w/some kind of puppy training. I have never dealt w/aggression issues so I will tag some members to help you. I know that everyone in the family needs to be on board for any type of training to be successful. Good luck and please keep us posted!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Any training that you will attempt to do has to be followed by everyone in the house or who will have contact with Bruno. Start with one behavior you want to change, and be consistent until you get the result you want and then move on the another. You will get results if you and everyone else stays consistent. Good luck and keep us posted on Bruno's progress.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi and welcome to EBN! Has Bruno ever had a basic obedience class? It's never too late to enroll him so that he will understand basic commands and mostly, to understand that you are his leader. Always use positive reinforcement when training Bruno...lots of praise, a treat here and there. Also, do you plan on getting him neutered? Sometimes the aggression can be eased once the bully is fixed...not always the case, but it is a healthy thing to do and may help with the behavior.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with everyone here, it's never to late to get him into some kind of basic training class. :welcome: to EBN!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi, and welcome to you and Bruno to EBN. I totally agree with everyone's comments as well, training can always help, and it's ever to late to teach basic training and commands at least. Also agree with having him neutered as this often settles them down due to getting rid of Testosterone in the body. Neutering also has many other health benefits such as reducing the risk so cancers, and the risk of wandering or running off, and the potential of getting lost or getting hit by a car.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others hav stated... never too late to start the basics with dog and human, but the human will be the harder of the two to buy in. This link will help.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...85-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-training-technique

Also, I would check for pain...some dogs go into 'protection mode' (bad behavior/aggression) when they are in pain and we can not see it. Ask the vet to do a once over and make sure Bruno is not ill or hurt.

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
I would like to share something with you. I rescued a bull dog that was badly abused. she came to me sweet for the first day then she started growling, not listening, chewing on stuff and not letting you get it. she has bitten me more times than I can count. Last bite send me to the doctor for stitches. I always wanted a trainer to help me but they were sooo expensive and not in my budget. However see if you can find one in your area that will work with you on payments. It is so worth doing it. I beleive it can be fixed. I thought Gretchen was a hopeless cause and I was very wrong. I would be glad to share everything that they have taught me.. Alot the times you need the training as much as them. don't take offense to that as I did. I did need the training. It helped me better understand her and made me more confident in correcting and the effectiveness of it.
first thing you must do is get a training collar ( looks like a metal dog chain for outside) no spikes just the chain. get a long leash and leave the leash on in the house. When the dog does something wrong- correct them with a firm no. If they are chewing- say off- if they don't listen. Give it a little jerk up, not towards you. If they lunge at you like my dog did you can keep the dog away. thats what the collar is made for. put him straight in his crate and shut the door and say no. let them out. Never take that leash off for anything. thats your correction tool. Make the dog sit for everything. don't rub him or give him any love without sitting. You have to make the dog respect you and your authority. You are not a pack playmate. YOu are the leader. It might take a little while but try this. if the dog has to go in his crate 100 times a day then do it. some people on here are againist the crate but I am not. I learned this from my trainer and it has saved Gretchen. Now crate must be a safe place to so leave door open for them to go in and out freely. You just must teach them that you are are in control and you don't tolerate biting. throw away all the chew toys with ropes or things to pull ( or atleast put up for now) don't play tug of war, dont let them play bite with you at all. they need to learn the difference from playing and not. Sounds like just needs some guidance and you can do this yourself. or atleast start. Training classes are helpful.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome to you and Bruno:) as mentioned before I'd also check for any kind of pain firstly and go back to basics with the training. My Bulldogs are in no way well trained:ashamed: but I keep them fairly submissive by making them sit before food, treats, affection, play, going outside... sit before pretty much everything. I don't do this always as I don't have an issue but I make them sit every time for any kind of food and only sometimes for other stuff as a reminder:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.