Nothing in Life is Free - training technique

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Taken from the Humane Society website:

What is "Nothing in Life is Free"?

You have resources—food, treats, toys, and attention. Your dog wants those resources. Make him earn them. That's the basis of "Nothing in Life is Free." When your dog does what you want, he gets rewarded with the thing he wants.
You may also hear this aspect of training called "No Free Lunch" or "Say Please." Those are just other names for "Nothing in Life is Free."

How to practice "Nothing in Life is Free"

1. First, use positive reinforcement methods to teach your dog a few commands and/or tricks. "Sit," "Down," "Come," and "Stay" are useful commands. "Shake," "Speak," and "Roll over" are fun tricks to teach your dog.

2. Stop giving away resources. Do you mindlessly pet your dog for no reason? Stop. Your attention is a valuable resource to your dog. Don't give it away. Make him earn it.

3. Once your dog has mastered a few commands, you can begin to practice "Nothing In Life Is Free."
Before you give your dog anything (food, a treat, a walk, etc.) he must first perform one of the commands he has learned. For example:

• In order for you to put your dog's leash on to go for a walk, he must sit until you've put the leash on.
  • When you feed your dog, he must sit and stay until you've put the bowl on the floor.
  • Play a game of fetch after work and make your dog sit and "shake hands" each time you throw the toy.
  • Rub your dog's belly while watching TV, but make him lie down and roll over before being petted.

Once you've given the command, don't give your dog what he wants until he does what you want. If he refuses to perform
the command, don't give in. Be patient and remember that eventually he will have to obey your command to get what he wants.

5. Make sure your dog knows the command well and understands what you want before you begin practicing "Nothing in Life is Free."

The benefits of this technique

Requiring your dog to work for everything he wants is a safe, positive, non-confrontational way to establish your leadership position.
Even if your dog never displays aggressive behavior such as growling, snarling, or snapping, he can still manipulate you. He may be affectionate to the point of being "pushy," such as nudging your hand to be petted or "worming" his way onto the furniture to be close to you. This technique gently reminds the dog that he must abide by your rules.
Fearful dogs may become more confident by obeying commands. As they succeed in learning more tricks, their continued success will increase confidence and ultimately lead them to feeling more comfortable and less stressed.

Why this technique works

Dogs want good stuff. If the only way to get it is to do what you ask, they'll do it.
Good leadership encourages good behavior by providing the guidance and boundaries dogs need.
Practicing "Nothing in Life is Free" gently and effectively communicates to your dog that you are the leader because you control all the resources.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent info [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I am a big fan of the "positive reinforcement" training vs. punishment training.
Only teach ONE behavior at a time. Do not move on until that one is mastered.
The basics 'stay' and 'sit' can be done at the same time. The 'stay' can be added to all of the other commands.
Take.....your.....time.......
Dogs have NUTHIN BUT TIME !!

Good Day~
Thanks for the good post !

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I got my EBD a month ago, she's a rescue. I would like her to get along with other dogs not be aggressive , any suggestions? She doesn't bite.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I am a huge fan of the 'Nothing in Life is Free' method... However there are versions of it that, IMHO, take all the fun out of having dogs. For instance, i've seen one version of it recommend that the dog be strapped to a leash at all times, and if its not at your side then its in his/her crate. Then there is the 'no furniture, no bed' rules. The worst (and hardest) are the 'Never pet them when they ask for it'.. pfffft.

My dogs have to work for their food (sit, stay.. do a trick.. etc). I let them on the bed & couches BUT they don't sleep on the bed and have to get off the couch if a human wants their spot. And if one of them comes up and wants a snuggle they are getting a snuggle!

The point of 'nothing in life is free' is to teach who's the pack leader.. and as long as they know your the boss things work out :)

I got my EBD a month ago, she's a rescue. I would like her to get along with other dogs not be aggressive , any suggestions? She doesn't bite.

Socialize, Training, Socialize, do more training... then get them more socialized :)

Dog training classes are a great way to start getting her more socialized and trained. I've seen more and more classes turning into 'one-on-one' training.. and while it works.. your dog is missing out being in a group of other dogs.

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thank you for this!!!! I am going to try that this weekend and continue to progress with him!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am a huge fan of the 'Nothing in Life is Free' method... However there are versions of it that, IMHO, take all the fun out of having dogs. For instance, i've seen one version of it recommend that the dog be strapped to a leash at all times, and if its not at your side then its in his/her crate. Then there is the 'no furniture, no bed' rules. The worst (and hardest) are the 'Never pet them when they ask for it'.. pfffft.

My dogs have to work for their food (sit, stay.. do a trick.. etc). I let them on the bed & couches BUT they don't sleep on the bed and have to get off the couch if a human wants their spot. And if one of them comes up and wants a snuggle they are getting a snuggle!

The point of 'nothing in life is free' is to teach who's the pack leader.. and as long as they know your the boss things work out :)

Socialize, Training, Socialize, do more training... then get them more socialized :)

Dog training classes are a great way to start getting her more socialized and trained. I've seen more and more classes turning into 'one-on-one' training.. and while it works.. your dog is missing out being in a group of other dogs.

I am going to check around for training :) Sounds like a fun experience :)

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am enrolling Porkie in a training class possibly, with other bulldogs. She needs socialization skills. It will be a fun experience for both of us.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am enrolling Porkie in a training class possibly, with other bulldogs. She needs socialization skills. It will be a fun experience for both of us.

GREAT idea!!

rileycat1971

Dec 3, 2018
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
Thank you. My husband and I desperately need to teach our 3 dogs (one is an EB) that WE are the PACK LEADERS, not any of them. Although, in all fairness, our cat leads everyone.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you. My husband and I desperately need to teach our 3 dogs (one is an EB) that WE are the PACK LEADERS, not any of them. Although, in all fairness, our cat leads everyone.

Lol... cat usually does!! Welcome

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online