Puppy aggressive with other dogs

Ari Parkes

Jan 13, 2014
Help. We have a 15 month old English bulldog and he's just not catching on to play nice. I have had him with several friends dogs ranging in age from 10 weeks to 1 year. All have been larger breeds, labs and boxers mostly. I'm not sure if it's aggression or what but he always seems to want to play rougher than the other dogs. Biting and latching on to ears and chests. He will eventually calm down after about an hour or so but I want to take him to the puppy park and I'm worked he will be too rough with the other dogs. Any suggestions? We're going to a puppy orientation this weekend so he'll meet more pups and I'm looking into puppy training but anything that I could be doing at home?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi, Ari, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, but just wanted to welcome you to EBN. I think you're doing the right thing to start with puppy training, and continue to socialize him to other dogs, maybe start with just one or two familiar dogs in a more quiet or controlled environment instead of a dog park with many dogs at first. Some of the biting behaviour could just part of the puppy phase, which he will outgrow, and some may be behaviour, maybe he's showing dominance? Hopefully another member with more experience with this will come along soon to give you some advice.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I have tagged some members to give you more insight… I have never really dealt w/this issue. I've always had more than one dog in the home until now, and aggression wasn't a problem. I think taking him to puppy classes is the first step in the right direction :)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
15 month or 15 weeks ? if hes 15 months old hes to old for puppy classes
bullies tend to play rough , Lilly at the age 15 weeks was play biting every dog she meet - its not aggression its puppy hood
no , wait- i ask differently how did you conclude that your puppy is aggressive ? aggression is something totally different to a rough play
funniest thing i remember was my baby amstaff hanging off from a st bernards tail , get loads of chew toys, your pup is exploring the word around him and is teething -with your guidance he will grow out ou it , play with your puppy - he will eventually learn what is appropriate and whats not - is also a great opportunity to learn through play- commands : leave it , take and drop -it will be handy at the dog park

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bulldogs in general tend to be more rough in play, but you need to have him understand when you command to stop, he should respond. Now, that is a lot easier said than done, becasue of the obsessive nature and stubborness of the breed.

Look up on the internet... Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF) - it is a great training tool that you can easily read and use at home. It teaches him who is boss and everything he gets to do must be earned through you. Even though he is 15 months, basic training class would be a good environment for him.. it is 'puppy class', but for dogs older than puppy age. Check with Petco, Petsmart or a local trainer in your area.

Good luck and keep us posted

:welcome3: to EBN!!

OP
Ari Parkes

Ari Parkes

Jan 13, 2014
Hi sorry he is 15 weeks. He was a lot better today. He goes to a friends house for puppy daycare and it was her who mentioned that he was aggressive to one of the dogs while absolutely fine with the other. You all could be correct that it's just bully behaviour but definitely want to be able to get his attention to stop when I feel he's getting too rough. Especially when the other pup is a whiny type that sounds like it's getting hurt when really it could just be over reaction if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.