Cats

Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
Does anyone have any experience in introducing a new bulldog to their cat? Any tips on how to make sure it goes well?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgHi Kathleen, I don't know if I'll be of any help as we got our two EB a year after we got our cat, and we just let them loose around each other, but the puppies were way to energetic for my cat, and she would just run away from them. They would try and pounce on her to play with her, and then she would swat at them, or try boxing them with her paws, she couldn't hurt them because she's declawed. She just runs from the dogs when she sees them coming and will go for higher ground, on her cat tower, or she runs upstairs where the bedrooms are, and the dogs don't go upstairs, so she's safe from them up there. She either likes to sleep in my towel closet, or in my night table shelf. The only time she will go near the dogs is at night time when they are crated, and then she lays on top of their crates and teases them through the bars with her paw, as if to say Nah Nah you can't get me now. Lol. The dogs would never hurt her, they just want to play with her, but she runs away, so I guess you can say they just tolerate each other.

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Ha!ha! That sounds typical. I would say that you have to let the cat handle it-and make sure the cat has high ground to escape to! Is this a pup-? that could make a difference, if adult dog-it may not like cats.catwantedposter.jpg

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I was going to say, I've had cats & dogs together for years… usually the cat dictates how things are going to go… LOL I lucked out w/our cats they seemed fine w/dogs as long as they weren't chasing them for hours on end. One good swat to the face would take care of that. Just be extra vigilant if the cat still has it's claws...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I was going to say, I've had cats & dogs together for years… usually the cat dictates how things are going to go… LOL I lucked out w/our cats they seemed fine w/dogs as long as they weren't chasing them for hours on end. One good swat to the face would take care of that. Just be extra vigilant if the cat still has it's claws...

Same here, we were so afraid that Vegas was going to be too rough with getting a kitten, in no time at all the cat dictated the relationship. They get a long fine.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'll have to echo what others have said - I've had a combo of 3 different bulldogs with 3 different kitties (clawed and declawed) and had NO problems with any of them. The "introductory" period was very minimal because cats can move a lot faster and to a lot higher places than a bulldog so if they don't like something, they can get out of there. That said, for the most part, our cats and bullies love to hang around each other. Linus would chase our orange tabby - and sometimes he let Linus catch him just to be a sport, I kid you not. This is a 80 pound bulldog and a 7 pound cat! They were funny together. Anyway -- I wouldn't worry and a common sense approach should be enough to ensure years of friendship! :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We introduced slowly when we brought Harlea home. We left he in the carrier we had and let the kitties sniff her. After about 15 minutes we let her out and the results were mixed. 1 cat loves to play with her, 1 doesn't want to be near her and the last 2 could care less as long as she isn't chasing them.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
y4ese9ag.jpg

Here's a real time pic of my kitty and bully ... we have another kitty, not pictured, but these two live each other!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Real time picture here too, Jester (the cat) NOT allowing Vegas to sniff his butt, NO claws were used, Jester just letting him know that NO means NO!!

OP
K

Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
Thanks everyone! I've looked around several sites and they all seem to have their own opinion on how it should be done. I hope it all goes as well as you've said. My cat is definitely queen of the castle so I'm sure she would act like you said your cats did and let the puppy know who's boss.

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
We had my kitty for a year before we got Gia. The cat despises her lol. She spits swats and growls at her whenever she tries to get near her. When Gia is sleeping Miley will sneak up to her and swat her in the face lol. So Gia is pretty scared of her.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

dbutler813

Dec 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Beefy (Georgia)
I got beefy 2days (she is 3 yrs old)before christmas and I have 2 cats I kept her on a leash for the first couple hours in the house to monitor her reations with the cats she tried to chase them I would hold the leash and get her attention once she realized she could not get the kitty without reprimand she gave up and now they even sleep on the same couches and chairs together

dbutler813

Dec 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Beefy (Georgia)
u2y6yba4.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online