Help. Aggressiveness.

Shannon Cascioli

Mar 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules and Ariel
Ariel and Hercules have been getting into fights. They could be playing and just snap and go after each other. I can't break it up it is so bad. They have made each other bleed and today they hurt each other and are limping. They are both fixed and have plenty of toys to play with. I am very open to any suggestions to help stop this or how to break it up or what to do after to make them realize they can't do it. Right now I separate them into their kennels.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389405586.040415.jpg. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389405615.890534.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389404671.889303.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389404671.889303.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Re: Aggressiveness help?

Well that is always a hard one and there are several different ways to stop this. I use one method but do not suggest it to others because if not done correctly can get you hurt or make things worse. There is another way of making them earn everything so they will realize you are the boss. When they play, you need to stop the play before it gets out of hand. I would suggest you get a trainer to help you with this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Aggressiveness help?

Look up the training tool... 'Nothing in life is free'. It will teach them that YOU are alpha. It is a good start for you, but as David suggested you should thinking about a trainer coming in to your home for a session or two. I think you babies are fighting for 'alpha'. And they will not stop that so you need to ensure they realize you are the boss, not them.

NILIF will teach you how to do this.

good luck and be safe

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi Shannon, if it were me there would be supervised playtime on leashes only so the behavior can be corrected immediately. I know that won't be easy. Have they had any training yet like basic obedience?

I will tag some that may have some words of wisdom here. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I have nothing to add but :hugs:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry to hear this. My bullies do this sometimes, but so far, I have been lucky-I yell "that's enough, take it easy" and they have stopped. I do worry that someday they may NOT stop. Of all the dogs I have had there were never fights.(except TOY poodles-ha!ha! innocent little things...) I am suggesting squirt with a spray bottle(though they may not even notice....-not spray, but stream) shake a can of rocks, blow a sharp sounding whistle, something that can get their attention off the fight. Even an air horn, like at football game. If it stops them-say "no fighting!" I hope this will help you, before it escalates.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
If you can see what triggers the fight, that would be helpful so you can prevent it from happening. Do they play well together for the most part and then during the playtime, they will go at it? When this has happened between my two I will hold up a big piece of furniture, like a chair, in the air and say "STOP!" This usually startles them enough to stop the fighting and hurting each other.

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
My bullies do this as well. I used to yell but found it made it worse. Depending on the size and temperament of your bully, I would have to turn one bully on their back so that they calm down and realize I'm the boss. The other calms herself better than the one so she usually just walks away. The best thing is to stop it before it starts if possible. I started realizing the signs that would start things and then separate them or redirect their attention. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.