Help Needed! 1.5 year old Bully - peeing in crate

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hi all,

Seamus is about 1.5 now (turns 2 in April) and we are having issues with his crate. He is fully house broken and crate trained. He loves his crate. However in the past few months he has started peeing on his blankets in his crate. I think that the blankets we got for him absorb the pee and he really doesn't even care its in there. Since I hate washing his blankets every day (plus its killing my electric bill) we decided to buy a Primo Pad to put in his crate and take out his blankets. I didn't want him sleeping directly on the hard plastic in the crate so I thought this would work out better.

Well he isn't peeing in his crate anymore but he has started barking in the middle of the night! Now I know he can hold his bladder fine. He goes up to 8-9 hours during the day without going outside. I work from home so I take him out whenever he wants but he just sleeps around the apartment all day.

I am worried about the barking since we live in an apartment building and I don't want to wake up our neighbors. We have only been doing the new sleeping arrangement for 2 days so it could just be the newness of it. On Wednesday night I heard him barking at 5am so I got up, took him outside to pee and poo and then put him in his crate again until 6:30ish so he didn't think he could bark and then he would be allowed out of his crate to sleep in bed with us (which is what he wants to do).

Last night I put him to bed at 10:30pm. I heard him bark at 1:00am so I took him out to go to the bathroom and put him back in his crate. I heard him bark again at 3:00am. I went in and told him to be quiet. He was quiet again until 7am when he barked again (which is his normal time to go out and be fed).

I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing with him. I don't think he's too cold (it around 70-72 degrees in our apartment). His crate isn't near a window or a draft. He has enough space in his crate and its dry. We aren't letting him in our bed for the near future since I really think this is behavioral and he just either wants his blankets (which he will pee on) or to be in bed with us. I am hoping that if I am consistent he will just learn to accept being in his crate without a blanket and stop crying/barking at night. We can't leave him out at night since he will just sit in front of our bedroom door and cry and we don't want him sleeping in bed with us since it is very unfortunately (we only have a queen).

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful! Thanks so much! Its hard to say no to such a cute little baby!
Snuggle Face.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would have his urine checked to make sure he doesn't have a stone, or UTI. If all is fine with that, He probably is just wanting to sleep in your bed(especially if you have let him in your bed before) They KNOW what they want-and do try to wear you down!!

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
I would have his urine checked to make sure he doesn't have a stone, or UTI. If all is fine with that, He probably is just wanting to sleep in your bed(especially if you have let him in your bed before) They KNOW what they want-and do try to wear you down!!

Yea I am positive he doesn't have a UTI or stone. He is perfectly fine ALL day! He doesn't pee too much or too little and never dribbles anywhere. Its only at night in his crate.

We have let him sleep in our bed before.

My husband this morning said this is like a test before kids. Its easier to give in but we should stick with our guns. UGH I hope he stops barking soon! He is soooo stubborn!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
The mistake was that you let him in your bed. He liked that-:yes: Now you are "blackmailed" because you can't let him be too noisy because you are in an apt.
So when he summons you-here you come!! I have never crated mine in a seperate room. Their crates are in my bedroom. Maybe he would be content if his crate was in your room, where he would know he was "included" Just a guess. Someone here may have a better idea. Your hubby is probably right-but the neighbors may not like hearing it! Bullies will try to wear you down.ha!ha!

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
The mistake was that you let him in your bed. He liked that-:yes: Now you are "blackmailed" because you can't let him be too noisy because you are in an apt.
So when he summons you-here you come!! I have never crated mine in a seperate room. Their crates are in my bedroom. Maybe he would be content if his crate was in your room, where he would know he was "included" Just a guess. Someone here may have a better idea.

Thanks for the advice! I know I am such a sucker. I love having him in our bed but its not comfortable! I only usually do it when my husband is out of town.

I would love to have his crate in our room but there isn't room. Ideally I would like him to sleep on his own bed in our room but I know if I let him in there he will just jump on the bed, which defeats the whole purpose.

Clearly I have Sucker written on my forehead!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not to worry! We ALL do-and Bullies can READ! Maybe try covering his crate......?

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Not to worry! We ALL do-and Bullies can READ! Maybe try covering his crate......?

Yep his crate is covered about 3/4 with a blanket to make it all cozy. He is just one stubborn bulldog! I am hoping if I am consistent that he will just learn to like the new situation!

I have read all over EBN about how some dogs just cannot have blankets in their crates since they pee on them. I figured the Primo Pad would be better for his joints instead of just the hard crate but it is easy to clean.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
While we don't have the peeing part of your problem we did have an issue with Harlea starting to bark in her crate at random times of the night. For us we actually had to uncover all sides but the top of the crate and she hasn't barked since. Not sure if it will help you but it might be worth a shot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Being isolated in another room surely isn't helping the situation. You should try putting a dog bed in your room for him to sleep on. You will just need to keep correcting him over and over until he understands where he is allowed to sleep.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It looks like you have been given lots of great advice already, so nothing really to add, just want to wish you luck. You just have to be more stubborn than him, and be consistent, he will get used to it. I know it's hard to resist their cute faces.
Be strong and good luck.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.