18 Week Year Old Bella (How to Train Her to Shake)

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So basically I am trying to teach Bella to shake. She has gotten the "fetch" game down fairly and I am wondering if it is okay to start teaching her other tricks. I would like to start off slow, so teaching her how to shake when I say "shake" would be a fun one to teach her. I am wondering if 18 weeks is too young to teach Bella how to do this on command or not, as I know the puppy age (I've heard) is the best time to teach things. Any advice or tips on how you taught your English bully how to do this trick would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
franklin got that trick down around that age and the only reason I got him to do it is he seen my older dog do it and get treats it took me three times for him to get it down and now all I have to do is say gimme 5 its really nice having a older dog she taught him everything. its never to early to start. I think you should start as soon as you get your baby.if you start when there older they get to stubborn and then if they don't want to its harder teach good luck hope everything goes well

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Ali, the younger you start the easier it is to train your dog. EB are known for their stubbornness though, and even with training, they will sometimes just do what they want, when they want, and will listen to you when you want, but they also like to please you, so you may be able to train her. Use repetition, positive reinforcement, patience and lots of treats.

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Okay, Basically I do not have another dog to mimic and show her and when I say shake she just looks at me funny lol. I even go as far as showing her but to know prevail... :/

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
To shake paw that is? Simple
I was lifting Lilly paw and said command "shake" and praise her + give a treat ,eventually after couple of times she got it

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I just kept picking up Rocco's paw and saying paw when I did it. I would only feed him a treat when his paw was in my hand. Took about two days then he got it. Now when he sits for a treat he's ready for that next paw command lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Agreed with the above. The younger the better and easier to boot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon does it without even being told LOL but we can use a few different words with him Shake, give me paw, and High Paw and wave and like Matt said we lifted his paw gave him a treat while his paw was still in our hand while saying the command I think it only took Shelly Bean a couple times and he got it now when he wants some of what we have he waves for it we get suckered all the time LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DozerDad

Dec 30, 2013
We use the clicker trainer. It is great. Dozer was able to sit and "high five" in the first couple of sessions. He loves it, it is like a game to him to figure out new commands. I would recommend you looking into it. It comes with an instructional book and video.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
To shake paw that is? Simple
I was lifting Lilly paw and said command "shake" and praise her + give a treat ,eventually after couple of times she got it

:up:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When I first read your posting I thought you meant 'shake' as in shaking her whole body - that is something we're teaching Castor now as we want him to shake off the rain outside of the house! We trained 'hand shake' the same way as described above and Castor picked that up quickly, and he knows 'the other paw' too.

Training your dog to lift a paw on command while standing up is useful too if you want to dry her feet after having been out in the rain. Can't say Castor always does it on command, but when I touch a leg and say 'paw' he often helps out by lifting that paw so that I can dry it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.