Growling- should we be more concerned

Mom2Daphne

May 29, 2013
PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Daphne
We have had our bully girl for about 8 months and she is about 2- best vet estimate.
we do not know much about her background.
She use to never make a sound. She can be very laid back, but can also get wild. certain noises and motions make her nuts. she does not bite, but has jumped at us full force to get an object. she has never been good with personal space- she will step right on your face if you are in her way
recently she has been really growling during playtime. It sounds very scary. my mother in law describes it as the sound dog makes when it wants to rip you apart. typially she has her head low to the ground and hiney in the air. do you think we should stop and correct her when she growls? She also growls when she want out of her crate....and whines....and spins....and flops
Is it possible that she just sounds scary and aggressive? She also makes this funny chicken noise when playing with her Frisbee- it is not a scary noise, but is funny.
she will let us do anything grooming and handling wise and she is not at all food aggressive. she is not the most gentle with taking food out of our hands, but that is more so because her teeth are sort of on the outside of her mouth. she has the sweetest little underbite.
thanks
Evelyn

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
When i play with my girls tug they growl too-they are not aggressive in any way -most of dogs do that

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea growls when we play with her like that as well and occasionally she will bark and growl a bit when she is ready to play to get our attention as if she is saying mom/dad play with me why aren't you playing with me.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Holly does the same. Shes very tame and a big lovable bully. When we play she will growl loudly and bark. If I hold her toy above my head and act like I am going to throw it Holly will go ballistic and she sounds very vicious! As soon as I throw her toy shes a sweet puppy again :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Daphne sounds like your typical bully behavior… they can growl like they are going in for the kill… LOL We would LOVE to see pics of your baby!!!:)

OP
M

Mom2Daphne

May 29, 2013
PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Daphne
awww.. thanks! That is what I thought, but some people are afraid of her sounds and teeth. we think those are the cutest things abour our bully girl. she always sounds a bit throaty???? she is a sweety most of the time (when she is not chewing random things) and she is absolutely wonderful with my 2 boys.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My Joey would also growl while playing but she would never hurt me:) I think you can tell by their body language if they mean it or not... :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
At times, here the growling is so horrible, they sound like the most dangerous dogs ever! Wish I could video. They wrestle with each other over a toy-or just play. Usually if I am trying to watch something on TV-I can't hear anything but growling! Hiney up and head down usually means a playful stance!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
typially she has her head low to the ground and hiney in the air. do you think we should stop and correct her when she growls? She also growls when she want out of her crate....and whines....and spins....and flops

Evelyn

What you desribe here is known as 'play-bow' as long a a dog does this position... it means theya re inviting you to play, growling, like a baby cry has different meeaning and you will pick up on the differences as you get to know her better. At this point, it seems she is becoming comfortable and is having some fun@

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
We call Otis our little lion, he sounds so ferocious but is a little pussy cat! If I hadn't had him since a puppy and got him as an adult it would have scared me shitless....lol

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
Barley sounds like he is fighting for his life. We think it is hilarious as he is about as brave and vicious as a bowl of mushy oatmeal.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Gia sounds viscous some times but shes a big baby. And she is the same age as your little girl. Gia is my first so I'm no an expert but it's normal to me! :thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.