What age did your puppy stop chewing on everything?

J

joshray

Our puppy loves to chew on everything. We try to give him lots of toys, and replace whatever he's chewing on with an approved toy. I know he's just a pup and this is to be expected, I'm must curious how long it usually lasts?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
My girls learned what they should chew on within few weeks ,as pups teething and they are curious you should teach them what they can and cannot chew ;-)
Puppy proofing your house helps to avoid accidents when they swallow something they shouldn't

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea hasn't really chewed on anything she isn't supposed to since she was around 3 or 4 months old. She will mouth things and then stop and go to her antler or nylabone.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June never really chewed on things she wasn't supposed to. We make sure she has plenty of her own chew toys.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, you've got to keep an eye on your "stuff". If you are not vigilant about substituting a toy for whatever you DON'T want chewed-they will never learn the difference. I'd say around 5 months, most of them have gotten the message. BUT 2 of mine will eat anything outside,they especially love WOOD,grass, cat poo, or swallow a toy if it is small. NEVER trust them completely! That is my 2 cents(and they would swallow THAT,2!!!) If your LUCKY-they'll vomit it up :barf:Mine have kept me up all night, the past two night, 'cause they ate something,I don't know what, and have been wanting to go out to :potty:Then they sleep all day! I stayed home from work today, in case they need to go to vet-but they are fine all day!! It's only 2 degrees the past two nights-not liking it outside all night every 2 hours!

p.s. If they chew the corners of end tables-you can buy some Bitter Apple, and spray-but it evaporates after awhile.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Wow. You guys are lucky; mine are intense chewers and believe what is theirs is theirs and what is mine is theirs. :rofl:They will chew on garden hoses, shoes, toliet paper, tooth brushes, almost anything. My girls love to chew and I don't think they have any intensions on stopping any time soon. :rofl:Their favorite sport......stealing someone elses stuff to.....chew it up!!! We just keep things up and watch them very close. There is no place in my house that they have not had a tasty morsel or two, or three but we love them and wouldn't have it any other way. Our saying in our house: if the bullies chewed it up then you didn't do your job and keep it up fromm them. It is always the humans fault. lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, now-I was thinking furniture and cabinets..........If something winds up on the floor that SHOULD not be there-they consider it "available!" Forgot to state that part!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Well, now-I was thinking furniture and cabinets..........If something winds up on the floor that SHOULD not be there-they consider it "available!" Forgot to state that part!

Lol; yes, furniture, cabnets, shower curtains, no more drapes in the house, running boards, its all good. If it can touch the floor (chair feet, table feet, etc) it is theirs. All the corners to my cabnets on the base no longer have any points to them. Lol; I think the points were bothering the bullies and they wanted those edges rounded. Good luck. Do the best you can but be on your guard at all times, even as they get older there will be that one day they will lose their absolute mind and chew something straight out of the blue. Amber and Ruby got two gallon jugs of water yesterday and ripped open the pastic......we needed snorkel gear in the livingroom after they were finished. I told my husband not to put the distilled water near the humidor but he didn't listen......Amber and Ruby were looking so innocent too. :ROFL: He didn't want to keep making trips to the pantry for the distilled water so he decided to put the jugs near the humidor. While he was mopping up the mess (yes, he mopped it up, it was his brainy idea to put it in bully reach) I asked him how that worked for him:rofl:

OP
J

joshray

Thanks, for all the replies. I was talking about stuff on the floor (shoes, toys, clothes, everything). He does like to chew on branches and rocks outside - he will gnaw on some of the big rocks in my yard and it sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me.

The other day he we found a little glass rock (a decorative thing that goes in a vase) in his stool. I thought we were being good about keeping stuff off the floor, but with little kids it's almost impossible.

His new favorite thing is to crawl under my bed and get in the box spring. The black mesh stuff that's stapled to the bottom of the box spring had a tiny rip in it, he managed to crawl in and now the hole runs the entire length of the bed. There's a bunch of cotton stuffing in there that he rolls around in and eats. It's pretty funny watching him make a run for the bed anytime he walks past our door - his fat little body is pretty quick when he wants to be.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
He stopped at about 5 months. After chewing a door frame, some cabinets, and the fridge amongst many shoes slippers and hands and feet lol. He was bad no matter how many toys or how you yelled no at him. Luckily I plan on gutting and refinishing my kitchen so I'm not distraught by the little permanent damage he did

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Gia is going to be 2 years old in May...she will still chew things...remote controls, shoes, anything she can find.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.