To late to crate my bulldog?????????

Nikmaison

Dec 31, 2013
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi my Bulldog is 15 wks old. Since we've had him we have been trying to train him with the puppy pads which he kind of got used to apart from weeing in a couple of places now and then but never pooing but now it seems hes back to square one. We put him out about 10 min after eating but he doesn't always do anything the when hes back in a little later he will poo somewhere. he has water available all the time and constantly wees which is obvious but now he will just do it anywhere.

How can we get back on track and how do puppies learn to hold their bladder with this type of training.
Would it be better to crate train him?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
The puppy pads didn't work well for me with Amber and Ruby; they decided to rip them up and eat them so that was no good. We had a large pen we put them in during potty training and while we were at work. If we were home then the puppy was with one of us at all times; we had eyes on them at all times until they were house broke which meant one of us was on puppy patrol all the time. We took them out at first every 30 minutes and when they did something we gave them bacon bits for a treat. Bacon bits are high value treats mine will do back flips for, real attention getters. Their bladder grows with them so it takes some time but within a couple of weeks we were up to going outside every hour and then every hour and half and so on. It takes time and patience but if you do not have your eyes on them I would recommend a crate or containment area until they get the idea. Both on mine were full house trained around 8 months old and have freedom to run in the first part of the house now. Amber is two and Ruby will be a year old in a few weeks. There is still the occassional mistake but that is usually the fault of the humans for not getting home on time or something.

OP
N

Nikmaison

Dec 31, 2013
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thanks for your reply i think we will have to do the same thanks again.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
No its not too late to crate train your bully and it is what I would do in your case. I crate trained Ace and never bothered with the pee pads cause I wanted the dog to go outside. We tried the pee pads with my wife's maltese and it didn't work out so I wasn't going to waste my time using pee pads in the interim. I had Ace house broken in about a week. He has never once peed or pooped in the house and he is a year old. He did one time get diarrhea once as a puppy and pooped in his crate but he couldn't help it. So no its not too late and I would highly recommend crate training

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I crate trained Rocco and he was trained in about 3 months. Now I just gate him in the kitchen and he doesn't go to the bathroom on the floor at all

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi

Re: Advice on potty training! I reposted this from an older post, hope it helps.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

0 Comment(s)
Last edited by Vikinggirl; 07-05-2013 at 02:02 PM.

0 Comment(s)
LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online