8 month old adopted Bulldog, nipping and biting when he doesn't get his way.

ZuzuPebbles

Jan 6, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Malcolm
Morning everyone! We recently adopted (about 2 weeks ago) an 8 month old bulldog. His owner passed away and we received him from the owner's caregiver. We don't know a lot about his background, but overall he seems to be a very gentle and friendly dog.

Our only concern is that sometimes when we try to discipline him or prevent him from doing something (move him off the sofa, switch out a toy for a found slipper, not allowing him on the bed) he can get really excited and nip and bite at us. This seems to happen when he is overtired. We usually hold onto his scruff and gently push his rear so he lies on his side and calm him so we can tell him no, this is wrong, and try to direct him to chew a toy or tell him how awesome he is relaxing on the floor. Sometimes he gets really rangy and out of hand (usually when he is overtired) and we'll put him in another room to take a nap.

I am just wondering if this is the right approach to take? My husband sometimes gets really nervous with how aggressive Malcolm seems and we want to make sure this is normal behaviour and we shouldn't be seeking out a behaviourist or anything.

Just for a bit of background, we do also own two pugs who are 6 and 7 years old. I remember Iggy, the oldest going through a nipping age, where we gave him timeouts in the bathroom when he got too out of hand, but you don't really get much aggression from a pug puppy!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
It sounds normal to me after all he is still a baby and as long as pack order is established he is just being a puppy and the fact you recognize the problem when he is doing this and taking steps to let him know that the behavior is unacceptable. He will "get it" just give him time his surroundings have changed and sometimes these guys tend to be a little OCD and change upsets them. Patience and perseverance schedule and repetition are key with these babies!!! Good Luck with your loveable huggable ball of wrinkles and fur!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June is 7 months today and is the same way- also when she is tired. We put her in time out in her crate, or just get up and walk away from her and don't pay her any attention. She seems to get the hint that way and settles down. I'd say it's normal, but she is our first dog so I really have no idea haha. But she was way worse when she was younger, and is slowly growing out of it so I think it just takes time and persistence. Hang in there :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
At 8 months, he should have learned that biting his "parents" is a no-no. He may have gotten away with it before. And, too, as stated above-he is in a new place, with new people, and he may be testing the waters, so to speak-to see just how much he can get away with. Sometimes they do get too wound up-and just can't settle. It sounds like you are doing the right things-especially NOT letting him get away with it. Your husband says "he is aggressive" is he acting mean, when he does this-or just too wound up? There is a difference.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I guess he's still young and also trying to find his place in his new home... but it's good you don't let him get away with it. I'd stick to basic training to make him understand who's the boss. Sit and wait for food, treats, toys, going outside, getting up on furniture's and so on. He's at the age where he needs guidance:)

OP
Z

ZuzuPebbles

Jan 6, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Malcolm
Thanks for your support and answers! He definitely should have learned some manners by now, but I think his training has been a bit neglected. The only command he knows is sit, but we're working on that!

Manydogs, concerning the aggression; I don't see it as aggressive, but my husband was bit by a dog when he was young and the pugs are the only dogs he has ever owned, so he can be a bit nervous of Malcolm. When Malcolm gets worked up it seems more like rough-housing to me. Turning my back on him and ignoring him usually works, he can be a bit persistent, nipping at you to try and get your attention back. If he gets like that, I leave the room or place him in another room for a time-out. Since my husband is more nervous, I find he sometimes doesn't know how to react and may look at Malcolm and try to get him to listen to him, which I think Malcolm is taking as a challenge and thinks it's playtime. When I tell my husband to ignore him and look away from Malcolm it seems to calm down Malcolm down.

He can be a lot of dog, so when he is really wound up it can be very overwhelming. I'm thinking the best way to handle these times is to give him a time-out in our basement (fully finished rec-room with sofa and the dogs own futon.) It is safe, warm place but is away from us when it feels like he just trying to eat us. :D

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am sure Malcolm can feel the "vibe" from your husband. So that being said-Malcolm will take advantage and try to be "in charge". It's a good thing that you can be in charge-or it could turn out that Malcolm would be in control. It will probably be a little harder on you, as Malcolm has your hubby's "number" so you have to work twice as hard to teach him manners-your husband probably "radiates" hesitance or fear. Malcolm just needs to learn who's in charge! And it can't be him!! He will take advantage of your husband's hesitance. But it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Sounds like maybe in his other home-HE may have been more "in charge" of the home! Since he is a little older-he won't be as easy-but treat it as if he were younger pup. He will learn. I personally was bitten pretty bad, as a child-but I guess I was too dumb to be scared! Keep up the good work.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online