Any tips for teaching recall to an extremely stubborn pup?

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
So we've put Bosco through training and he seems to have picked up every command we've taught him, but we're having major problems with his recall. If we're at home and practicing "come" and "stay" - he'll do it just fine for the most part (particularly when there's a treat or kibble involved).

However, when we're outdoors and he's off leash - whether there's a treat involved or not - he will never come back to us! This is really problematic when we take him to the dog park..he usually runs amok and does as he pleases until he is tired enough that we can catch up to him and grab a hold of him.

We've practiced recall for countless hours and read everything online about how to make it work..but this bully is just so stubborn! Does anyone have any tips?? :confused:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Start from back yard , then quiet corner in the park with a little distractions and gradually increase them
In the home environment there are not many distractions (new sounds ,smells,things ,people and animals). So it is easier
as possible-we used 10ft leash to train ours

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always had horses. There is a training line for a horse called a "longe line". They are usually about 20 feet long. You could buy one at a feed store-(like a Tractor Supply type store) and use that to train him. It is long enough for him to get a distance away-but still under your control. Practice ,as Pati said, where there are no distractions-if he comes-give a GREAT treat-and praise. Start with the line short-and each time he comes-then you can let the line out a little more. If he learns-then try the same thing at the park. Don't forget LOTS of praise-AND yummy special treat-ONLY for these lessons. Something BETTER than his everyday treats! I think the longe line would be longer and cheaper than getting a "training" line at a pet store! Hope this can help you!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm gonna be honest- no matter what we did, how many treats and praise we offered, Blue wouldn't come to us on his own until he was about 8-9 months old. So if nothing works, remember that it does change as they get older.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agee with all the above.... Practice and lots of patience will eventually pay off

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.