Help Needed! Bitting all the time

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Again my first bulldog and have a question. My little guy I guess he's what 13 weeks now. Well he will almost never just let you pet him. If you do he tries to bite not mean bite bit play bite. It is kinda making me worried. There are few times when he is OK and licks and stuff. But it seems the most part he wants to bite and chew. Is this normal for bulldogs? My jacks never were like that and I had them since puppies.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
He's still teething. This normally last for 3 to 6 months during the puppy stage. That's normal. They using their mouths to learn their environments. If he starts chewing, try replacing your hands or any part of your body with toys. You might feel you are doing something wrong, but the stage will past. It's not you. He's still growing.

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
My bulldog was the same way as a puppy! He would never just let anyone pet him without biting. He definitely outgrew that stage when he was about 7 month. Now he never bites unless he's with a you. Just be patient...your pup will get over this stage soon :)

- - - Updated - - -

*toy

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, very normal for bullies :) Have you found the Puppy Group (under Forum),
great help for you. Try to distract him with a chew toy, only Nylabones & Kongs
not soft toys (chance of swallowing) unless you are right there w/him then put
out of reach. Or, walking or on the treadmill, etc...a tired bully is a good bully!
Make a harsh sound every time he's doing that or anything you object to such as
'Ackkkk!' as they learn to disregard 'No'. Good luck, he's a cutie!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I too don't think you have to worry:) I have a mixed breed puppy who also did it all the time when we first got him, he's much better now. But like they've said before, I would try to replace my hand for a toy or something so he doesn't think it's OK to bite hands in the future:)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Great advice was given already i just wanted to add "Welcome in the puppyhood"
Brace yourself with loads of different (texture wise) toys and when pup bites you firm no and offer a toys instead

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you. Overhead with great info and advice.... Good luck, it is a rough phase that will pass.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Welcome to puppyhood! This is normal behavior, as everyone has already said. Lots of nylabones, kongs-tough toys. When he bites, tell him "no bite" and stick a nylabone-or some tough toy in his mouth and say "here, bite THIS!" I have been saying this phrase for MOST of my life! It will work-as long as they have those puppy teeth, they act like little sharks-but keep with it-they DO learn! Strong will-you have to be stronger willed!! Don't yell-just replace! Good luck. You will be rewarded!:yes:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
As many of the members here, we often referred to Brutus as a "Bullshark" when he was a puppy. this phase will pass. It is very stressfull to go through though. Just post when you are stressed from it and we will get you through. Good luck.

Nikmaison

Dec 31, 2013
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
we have put some coins in a tin and when he is biting we shake it. we have only started to do this tonight but he hates the noise so hopefully this will work . we've tried the chews n bones they do distract him but only for a min.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June is 7 months now and we had this exact same problem when she was a puppy. She is SO much better now! Still plays rough (mostly with my bf) in the evening when she gets tired. What helps us is to really wear her out. She loves to fetch her toys so we do that for awhile, and also go for walks. We fill her kong with peanut butter, yogurt, treats, etc. which keeps her busy and tires her out too.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yes, welcome to the world of bully puppy shark teeth. It's absolutely completely normal behavior. Redirect to appropriate chew toys over and over again. Honestly, I promise, this too shall pass

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey was the WORST puppy biter! I thought I had the spawn of satan! I was teeth marks from head to toe! Everyone here assured me it was normal and he would grow out of it with LOTS of patience, persistence, and love. THEY WERE RIGHT!!! Bogey is now 15 months old and just the sweetest little guy. He will occasionally get " mouthy" but the shark teeth are gone, so my skin is safe. Just hang in there. Bulldog pups are tough, but what you get on the other end is more than worth it! Good luck!

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
I thought I wasnt gonna make it thru the shark-biting phase with Agnes but everyone assured me it would pass. It did -mostly. She's one year old. Once in a while she still gets mouthy with me but it's NOTHING compared to what it used to be.

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
I have a question. How old was he when you got him? We got our"puppy" @ 6 weeks. She is now almost 2 years old and still tries to bite us when we put her head about ,70% off the time. I've tried everything. Now I just don't power her head unless I know she is on a real calm mood. I will never get another puppy before 8 weeks. I think it makes a big difference.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.