nordicsailor

Aug 4, 2013
South Orange County, California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor
Hello everyone...
I joined EBD News several months ago and have been reading everyone's blogs ever since. I have not had the opportunity to intro myself yet but am finding so much info and advice that has been so helpful. Thank you for helping lead the way. We have a male born last Apr. 12th. His name is Thor and he is from Spain. Unfortunately because of the heat both there and in southern California, the airline would not ship him until Sept.25th. We missed a lot of the formative time and are paying some of the consequences for that. Potty training is taking longer than expected and following basic training commands is coming along very slowly. The biggest is now is that he will not tolerate us giving any type of personal care. Cleaning folds, ears, feet, teeth, etc. is next to impossible unless we nail his feet to the floor and even then it I a battle requiring two of use to hold him down. Not of this has been painful but his stubbornness surfaces and nothing any of the books recommend works. That is our most pressing issue. The other is that he will not walk off our property. We can put him in the car and go anywhere else and he will do just fine but not from home. He plants his feet and will not move. I can't think of anything that would have scared him in the past. When we first got him we would walk down the street, sit on a bench and look out at the ocean. He met many admires both human and canine and always seemed to enjoy it. But then he just didn't want to go. If anyone has an suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nordicsailor

Attachments

• IMAG1469a.jpg
    IMAG1469a.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 119

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Officially :welcome3: to EBN.... THOR is one very handsome boy! And, a very typical stubborn OCD Bulldog..... Have you read 'Nothing in Life is Free' (NILIF)? It is a great training tool which teaches the they need to work for everything, positive reinforcement.... Treats, food, and affection which Bulldogs respond best to.

walks seem to be a common issue and you have to really be persistent use a hog value treat to get him to cooperate! he only gets it as he does what you have requested/command.

i am going to tag a few other members that might be able to give more advice.

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Welcome and very good looking boy!! The advice above is great and also I think some of this will improve with general relationship building as your pup grows. Bullies can be so stubborn! Holly will let me clean her wrinkles, ears, yadda yadda, but doesn't really like my wife to do that stuff. She's just a big daddies girl these days :)

Again welcome :welcome3:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and Thor is a handsome boy. Bullies can be stubborn and they need to learn who is boss, and a good way to do that is what [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] has told you. Make him earn everything and he should start to come around.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
use a hog value treat to get him to cooperate!

Lol...I think Christine means to say 'high' value treat! And I agree, not his usual yum yum
but something he goes berserk over. Use that to coax him out of yard, a few feet at a time
over a period of time until eventually, he's not giving leaving the yard a second thought.

He is a stunning bully! I've adopted 2 older bullies needing homes, one male & one female.
So I never had one that I've had bonding/training time in early years either. Both came with
potty issues and it is a common issue. Thor is at his teen age rebellion years too, many that
potty trained early, perfectly and never any accidents will regress at this age (just to en-
courage you). They ARE trainable and it WILL happen! I suggest taking all bedding, padding,
blankets, etc, out of crates or up from floors, no sleeping on sofa, chairs or with you until he
is consistently going outside. Another issue I had with both of mine is no signs/signals that they
needed to go, just squat & pee/poop where they were
:w00t:...Momma was NOT happy! The most
effective thing was to get them on a schedule of eating (go out) after play time (go out) before
bed (go out) wake up (go out) AND...wait them out to 'do it'...as they would be out...come in and
promptly pee/poo :( I had to learn to be patient (not my thang). Effusive, over the top praise for
going outside especially once they started signaling i.e. going to door, being restless, a short bark,
ridiculous praise ;) they love it! I had to learn that getting on to them really didn't help so tried to
clean up quietly (ignore bad) and praise any effort (reward good)...this works for all things with
bullies such as walking. Once they plant themselves...you've lost already, lol Try another day and
hopefully before it gets to that stage! Bullies are just so very different and do, act, think different
than other breeds...I've had them all. They are amazingly intelligent altho it's hard to tell that ;)
Bullies simply do not work to please YOU as most dogs do so you have to try and make them think,
it is THEIR idea to do...whatever and also...bribe them with high quality treats. You just do, lol
Be patient, gentle, calm & persistent and I promise you,Thor will reward your efforts with years of
loyalty, love & fun. Just when you think...Nope, never going to happen with this one and give up,
they out of the blue start doing it perfectly and forever, like they knew it ball the time. Bullies are too
darned funny and really, an acquired taste but if they get in your blood...you'll never want anything
BUT a bulldog. Hang in there, keep reading, keep asking and just keep doing...it'll happen! GOD bless!!

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
My bullie was born April 19, I got him at 8 wks. He HATES to be wiped and to clip his nails is a whole other story, need some wine,my point is like all the other replies,welcome to bullyhood, the land of stubborn and strong will!! Tucker is my first bully, and I love his personality, he does keep us laughing, so welcome and be strong !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:hiya::hiya:Hello and Welcome. I am late-as usual! Your boy Thor is beautiful!(or should I say-handsome!) I will be of no help on this! I've raised many dogs(thus the name) and always groomed them myself-haircuts-if needed anal glands,nails,etc. I have had my bullies since 6 wks. All was well. Now, they hate their face wrinkles wiped-but I get it done -they LOVE butt wipes(in fact they back up to me) and I can NOT clip their nails.I have no one to help/hold them and I think once they discovered that they can out wrestle me-I was toast! ha!ha! I was totally embarrassed to have to take them to the vet to get their nails trimmed! He laughed at me! He has EBD's and when he went to do nails for me the first time-it took 3 of them to hold! I laughed at him! They are much easier now,- for him but one holds and one clips. I certainly can NOT be of help on nail clipping! I've even had LARGE dogs, who I've had to lay on top of,in the beginning(rescues-not pups) but Bullies don't give up. If they would hang on to a bulls nose-I am a piece of cake!!! Mine NEVER growl or bite-but they sure do WRESTLE!! I would say, if there are two of you, keep trying-and as advised-get the tastiest treat that he loves. Use it only at groom time! When you "get 'er done" come help me!!:hangover:Sorry! Got to go to the vet-or keep trying!

OP
nordicsailor

nordicsailor

Aug 4, 2013
South Orange County, California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor
Thank you all for your responses. Sounds like I have a normal bulldog. I never had a dog before and this one is just unbelievable. If I had known how wonderful they are, I would have gotten one a long time ago. He has changed my life. He is worth every moment of worry, grumble, "oh wells" and the #$#^%%$. Needless to say, EBD News is my first read in the morning. Makes CNN easier to swallow. Thanks again.
Nordicsailor

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for your responses. Sounds like I have a normal bulldog. I never had a dog before and this one is just unbelievable. If I had known how wonderful they are, I would have gotten one a long time ago. He has changed my life. He is worth every moment of worry, grumble, "oh wells" and the #$#^%%$. Needless to say, EBD News is my first read in the morning. Makes CNN easier to swallow. Thanks again.
Nordicsailor

Well said, we are happy you are here. Thor is a very good looking Bulldog!

Most Reactions

Members online