Is my puppy getting confused about were to pee?

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi all, just need some advice if thats ok. My pup of 10 weeks old seems to be peeing randomly in house now as opposed to peeing on his puppy pads which are in his crate and directly outside his crate. He was peeing on the puppy pads almost all the time, but now he seems to be straying away from them and peeing on the carpet.

He is out of his crate all day wondering about the living room and playing with the kids and me and the wife. Should he be spending a bit more time in his crate for now to get used to holding his bladder?

I take him outside at least every 1-2 hours for pee's and poo's and i stand with him until he does somthing and then i praise him. Am i doing anything wrong?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
No your not. He still a baby only 10 weeks give him time it takes patience and perseverance to train these little guys. Treats and over the top praise throw a party. Ignore the bad and reward the good, bullies tend to react better to positive reinforcement. Just give your baby some time he'll get it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No your not. He still a baby only 10 weeks give him time it takes patience and perseverance to train these little guys. Treats and over the top praise throw a party. Ignore the bad and reward the good, bullies tend to react better to positive reinforcement. Just give your baby some time he'll get it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
[MENTION=10635]homeriscool[/MENTION]. ^^^^^^ Jennifer has you covered, this is good advice!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Little puppies usually do great in the beginning! THEN as they become more aware of their surroundings and start playing and exploring-"so-you thought it was gonna' be easy,eh?" ha!ha! It take alot of time and patience. I usually take mine out about every 15 minutes, when they are so young. AND after eating, after playing..Sometimes it is good to leave a puddle on a pad-to keep the scent. Sometimes it seems to take forever-but persistence and reward are the keys to potty training! Someday you will be proud.............:)

OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Well thank you everyone! You have all once again provided me with great info. I shall tell the misses we are are doing ok :)

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
I would not put a pee pad INSIDE the crate. You don't want him to learn that it is ok to pee in the crate.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I would not put a pee pad INSIDE the crate. You don't want him to learn that it is ok to pee in the crate.

agree with this….and you should be training your puppy to spend more and more time in the crate, especially if you plan to crate while you are at work. My husband and I got Lola at 11 weeks, and she was relatively easy to crate train (with peanut butter). We built up the time spent in there until she was able to hold it for 4 hours (hubby came home at lunch to let her out). When she was a few months older, hubby found that she would be fast asleep at lunch time and instead started coming home a couple hours early from work (now up to 6 hours in crate, no accidents). finally she is up to 8 hours no accidents and she has earned free roam of the house (first it was just the spare bedroom where her crate and a big bed was…and first it was just the afternoon after lunch 4 hours). you never want your puppy to pee where she/he sleeps, so getting her used to spending time in the crate without going to the bathroom is key. :) enjoy your little monster :) time passes very very fast!

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My husband and I got Lola at 11 weeks, and she was relatively easy to crate train (with peanut butter).

Our 10-1/2 week old pup is also named Lola! We got her two weeks ago. She is currently up to 3 to 3.5 hours in the crate at night but only about 2.5 hours during the day so we leave her in a containment area with her create and pee pads during the day when I work because I can't get home until lunch time. So far she is doing good and having very few accidents in the house. We are sure to watch her closely and take her out every hour and she is in the crate between play times and potty breaks. .

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I totally agree with pcchenard and aprilemari comments, I wouldn't use the lee pads at all, as it might confuse him as to where he should go. You don't want him getting used to peeing or pooping in his crate, or anywhere else in the house. You mentioned that you take him out every 1 to 2 hours, so he should be doing his duties outside at this time, and so there should be no need to use the puppy pads. If he gets used to peeling inside on the pads, it ay confuse him as to where he should be peeing, and he may start peeing on other soft surfaces like bedding, or carpets, plus you'll have to retrain him to go outside, so it's like twice the work. He should be able to hold his bladder 1 hour for every month of age, so by 5 months, he should be able to hold for 6 hours. We used a very strict schedule for our guys when we were training them. This is what worked for us. Good luck. It's a lot of schedule, consistency, and patience.

Re: Advice on potty training! I reposted this from an older post, hope it helps.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

0 Comment(s)
Last edited by Vikinggirl; 07-05-2013 at 02:02 PM.

0 Comment(s)

Last edited:
OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
ok let me start again here. at the moment he has a bed and a puppy pad near the entrance inside of his crate. should i remove his bed and the puppy pad and just leave him to sleep on the bottom tray of the crate. I understand this would make it uncomfortable for him to pee and poo and then sleep in it.

he is having accidents in the living room, but sometimes he is going to the back door and i follow him and let him out to do his business.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
puppies need to be watched like a hawk, and i mean never a second left alone, if you want to potty train with less accidents. You must tell the puppy when to go out, in fact, as an almost 3 year old bully, my Lola STILL doesn't tell us when she needs to go out because #1 she hates going outside, and #2 we dictate her schedule so she never needs to tell us, we just take her 3-4 times a day, the exact same times every day. Accidents in the living room would suggest that you need to take him out more often, and start on a strict schedule so your pup knows when to expect to go out next.

for the crating bedding, people have different opinions depending on what their dogs like to do in the crate. we never had to remove bedding from Lola's crate because she rarely peed inside. Others will rip/eat bedding or pee on them. You bully's actions should dictate what he earns in his crate. I always hated the sound of her toenails on the crate bottom plastic tray (as i'm sure my downstairs neighbor also hated).

Good luck.

OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
puppies need to be watched like a hawk, and i mean never a second left alone, if you want to potty train with less accidents. You must tell the puppy when to go out, in fact, as an almost 3 year old bully, my Lola STILL doesn't tell us when she needs to go out because #1 she hates going outside, and #2 we dictate her schedule so she never needs to tell us, we just take her 3-4 times a day, the exact same times every day. Accidents in the living room would suggest that you need to take him out more often, and start on a strict schedule so your pup knows when to expect to go out next.

for the crating bedding, people have different opinions depending on what their dogs like to do in the crate. we never had to remove bedding from Lola's crate because she rarely peed inside. Others will rip/eat bedding or pee on them. You bully's actions should dictate what he earns in his crate. I always hated the sound of her toenails on the crate bottom plastic tray (as i'm sure my downstairs neighbor also hated).

Good luck.

Hi again, he pees on his puppy pad inside the crate, and sometimes he pees on his bed, and he has done 1 or 2 poo's on it as well.

Did you take the plastic tray out the bottom of the crate out everytime your dog pee'd and clean it with detergents etc? I ask this as i'm used to just throwing away the puppy pads now....

also the accidents are really random. he could have just come in from doing wee's and poo's and then get all excited when he plays with my kids and then pee's.

Last edited:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola, when she did have an accident in the crate, would pee on her bedding, so we'd wash those in bleach+detergent. We would wipe down the crate tray with detergent (dishwashing usually) and then spray with antibacterial cleanser, all while it was still in the crate. that was easier than taking the tray out for us since the crate was in a built in nook under a desk in a spare room. Don't worry about accidents here and there, you have a very very young puppy. I think Lola was still having the occasional accident at 6 months.

OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Lola, when she did have an accident in the crate, would pee on her bedding, so we'd wash those in bleach+detergent. We would wipe down the crate tray with detergent (dishwashing usually) and then spray with antibacterial cleanser, all while it was still in the crate. that was easier than taking the tray out for us since the crate was in a built in nook under a desk in a spare room. Don't worry about accidents here and there, you have a very very young puppy. I think Lola was still having the occasional accident at 6 months.

Thanks for the advice. i will take the pads out and just leave his soft bed in for now. if he pee's on it a lot i will then remove it even though i don't really want to. Lola looks so cute by the way :)

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How big is the crate? It should only be big enough for the dog to stand up, turn around and lay down.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.