Thread: Overly thirsty

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Default Overly thirsty

So when I first got my bulldog anytime I would put food in his bowl he would immediately attack it hardly chew any and finish it off in minutes and would occasionally drink water nothing to crazy,but lately he's gotten to where it's seems like he would prefer water to food.if I put water down he attacks the bowl and he will just drink until it's gone if I don't stop him or if I move the water bowl away so he can eat he just tries going to the other dogs water bowl.its not like I don't give him enough water and then only reason i take it away is so he doesn't drink so much to where he's goes pee in the house.just wondering if this is common or maybe a problem.i have recently switched foods If that would have anything to do with it but he's already been eating it for a month with no obvious problems

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Overly thirsty

Do you leave fresh water down at all times for your pup or do you only put it down periodically?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Dana F
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like he isn't getting enough to drink. He needs to have access to water all the time.How old is he? And are you potting training him? The only time I would watch the water intake was when Stinky was little and potty training him. I would make sure he didn't drink a bowl full of water before bed time.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Hello! You did not say how old your pup is. Before he started this excessive drinking-did he have access to water free choice-or did you put it down once in awhile?
    If he did not have water when he wanted it, he will drink too much when he can get it. sometimes they will go through a phase where they drink and drink, and I had to tell them "that's enough". You can not keep water from him just so he won't pee in the house. He needs to have water. He has to be taken out often-as pups pee alot, normally. He has to be trained to pee outside-but not by taking water away. If his drinking is REALLY unusually excessive, he needs to be seen by your vet. He could have a urinary tract infection, bladder infection-or it could also be a symptom of diabetes.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Overly thirsty

Agree with @Manydogs i would get him checked at the vet ,my boxer was suffering from UTI constantly and she would drink very excessive ,and towards end of her life she had cancer
    Also but that are extreme cases
    many conditions can lead to excessive thirst or dehydration in your dog, including liver disease, diabetes,cancer, diarrhea, fever, infection, and kidney disease.
    So in my opinion in that young dog is worth seeng a vet to ran some tests to be on a safe side
    Last edited by Pati Robins; 01-02-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

What food is he eating? Might be causing thirst.... But next vet appointment, I would ask your vet about this behavior to have him checked for any possible issues
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

You have already received excellent advice, by above members, especially by many dogs, and Pati, and I was going to suggest that it could be a sign of diabetes, and it's always a good idea to check with the vet if it continues. Hope it's nothing serious, and Zeus is okay.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    SPIRIT, OZZY, AND MEATBALL
    Likes (Received)

I am having the same problem... Seems like my Ozzy will drink for five minutes straight...

Remove Ads