Overly thirsty

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
So when I first got my bulldog anytime I would put food in his bowl he would immediately attack it hardly chew any and finish it off in minutes and would occasionally drink water nothing to crazy,but lately he's gotten to where it's seems like he would prefer water to food.if I put water down he attacks the bowl and he will just drink until it's gone if I don't stop him or if I move the water bowl away so he can eat he just tries going to the other dogs water bowl.its not like I don't give him enough water and then only reason i take it away is so he doesn't drink so much to where he's goes pee in the house.just wondering if this is common or maybe a problem.i have recently switched foods If that would have anything to do with it but he's already been eating it for a month with no obvious problems

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Do you leave fresh water down at all times for your pup or do you only put it down periodically?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Sounds like he isn't getting enough to drink. He needs to have access to water all the time.How old is he? And are you potting training him? The only time I would watch the water intake was when Stinky was little and potty training him. I would make sure he didn't drink a bowl full of water before bed time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello! You did not say how old your pup is. Before he started this excessive drinking-did he have access to water free choice-or did you put it down once in awhile?
If he did not have water when he wanted it, he will drink too much when he can get it. sometimes they will go through a phase where they drink and drink, and I had to tell them "that's enough". You can not keep water from him just so he won't pee in the house. He needs to have water. He has to be taken out often-as pups pee alot, normally. He has to be trained to pee outside-but not by taking water away. If his drinking is REALLY unusually excessive, he needs to be seen by your vet. He could have a urinary tract infection, bladder infection-or it could also be a symptom of diabetes.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Agree with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] i would get him checked at the vet ,my boxer was suffering from UTI constantly and she would drink very excessive ,and towards end of her life she had cancer
Also but that are extreme cases
many conditions can lead to excessive thirst or dehydration in your dog, including liver disease, diabetes,cancer, diarrhea, fever, infection, and kidney disease.
So in my opinion in that young dog is worth seeng a vet to ran some tests to be on a safe side

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What food is he eating? Might be causing thirst.... But next vet appointment, I would ask your vet about this behavior to have him checked for any possible issues

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You have already received excellent advice, by above members, especially by many dogs, and Pati, and I was going to suggest that it could be a sign of diabetes, and it's always a good idea to check with the vet if it continues. Hope it's nothing serious, and Zeus is okay.

Most Reactions