Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your bulldog refuse to go for walks??

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Carlos
    Likes (Received)

Default Does your bulldog refuse to go for walks??

Hi new to this forum. I have a 6.5 month old english bulldog who has always refused to take walks on the leash. He will go outside and do his business in 2 minutes and then run back upstairs to the house. I try to make him go for a walk but he just plops down on the ground and refuses. Then I will wait there and try to entice him with treats and he may or may not move a little bit and then sit back down. This will go on for a while and I may get him out as far as 50 yards or so from the house and he will just try to bolt back inside. I've tried different collars/harness but it doesn't work. Keeping him off the leash is definitely better because he will follow me around but my apartment complex doesn't allow off-leash. Please help my lazy dog!!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does your bulldog refuse to go for walks??

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosMcNugget View Post
    Hi new to this forum. I have a 6.5 month old english bulldog who has always refused to take walks on the leash. He will go outside and do his business in 2 minutes and then run back upstairs to the house. I try to make him go for a walk but he just plops down on the ground and refuses. Then I will wait there and try to entice him with treats and he may or may not move a little bit and then sit back down. This will go on for a while and I may get him out as far as 50 yards or so from the house and he will just try to bolt back inside. I've tried different collars/harness but it doesn't work. Keeping him off the leash is definitely better because he will follow me around but my apartment complex doesn't allow off-leash. Please help my lazy dog!!
    Our Buster used to do this and still does sometimes. Have you tried using treats when you go out and coax him to follow you? Thats what really made a difference with us. It takes awhile but they do catch on. Welcome to EBN!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker
    Likes (Received)

I guess you buy a doggie stroller! Sorry wrong answer😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

Aubie did that when she was a pup. We used treats to coax her and went a little further each time until she got used to it. When we taught her the command "come", it helped a lot because she knew what we wanted.

Real Name
    Buffy
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dually
    Likes (Received)

Dually will only go for walks if I take him and if Daisy is going as well. If the kids try to take him he puts on the brakes and tries to go in the other direction.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

How about if you drive him to a park, or somewhere new and take him for a walk there? Sometimes, I notice my boy Finn will not be so ready to walk in our neighborhood…don't know why really, maybe he's bored(?). But as soon as we go somewhere new, like a different neighborhood, he's all excited and ready to walk. It will take time. If you can only go 50 feet one day then don't force it. Try again the next and see if he'll go further. Good luck!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Lol. I'm sorry I am no help here. I was reading this thread in hopes of finding the answer to that very same question. My male Bulldozer does the exact same thing, he has two problems, one he absolutely hates to walk, he will happily go out to pee and poop, but as soon as he's done, he pulls to go ack to the house. He refuses to walk down the complex, never mind going for a walk down the road. He flops on the ground and spreads all four of his legs out to the side, and just lays there. He's too funny and won't budge. Last summer my son and I took a walk to Tim Hortons to get a Iced Cap, and he refused to walk home, I had to call my husband to bring the car, because he wouldn't move. He's too heavy to carry home. His other problem is he's very skittish, afraid of his own shadow. He won't walk along a road, because the cars scare him, and he sits down and wants to pull to get away from the road. He's afraid of a lot of things, he's been like that since day one. His sister Blossom is the exact opposite, she loves to walk, and will walk for hours, I feel bad because I will take her for long walks, but Dozer I can't.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Do you have a friend, who has a dog? Perhaps if Carlos had a doggie friend to walk with-he might decide that it looks interesting..Or he might feel safer.(or think it's a good idea-especially if it's HIS idea!) Maybe he thinks the "bogie dog" will get him! I have a fenced yard-but if I try to take them for walks-they DRAG me!! The opposite problem!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Lynn (manydogs).... Try with another dog, it might get him moving
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bosco
    Likes (Received)

Bosco was exactly the same - he would sit down and refuse to move until I gave up and turned back towards the house. He seemed to hate the leash for the first several months of his life.

Only now that he's reached 8 months has he seemed to have grown out of it. Now he actually seems to like walks. I think it's a bulldog thing- just stay persistent and eventually he'll grow out of it.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

No help here, my kids are the opposite Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome It sounds by previous comments they grow out of it
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Real Name
    Theresa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Agnes
    Likes (Received)

My Agnes refused to walk at first. She wouldn't even walk with me if i offered her penut butter, which is her most high value treat. What finally motivated her was when she wasn't allowed to do exercise or stairs or jumping for a week after her spay surgery. I think after that, she was just so excited to move around that she didn't even care she was out on a walk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads