Help Needed! Does your bulldog refuse to go for walks??

CarlosMcNugget

Jan 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Carlos
Hi new to this forum. I have a 6.5 month old english bulldog who has always refused to take walks on the leash. He will go outside and do his business in 2 minutes and then run back upstairs to the house. I try to make him go for a walk but he just plops down on the ground and refuses. Then I will wait there and try to entice him with treats and he may or may not move a little bit and then sit back down. This will go on for a while and I may get him out as far as 50 yards or so from the house and he will just try to bolt back inside. I've tried different collars/harness but it doesn't work. Keeping him off the leash is definitely better because he will follow me around but my apartment complex doesn't allow off-leash. Please help my lazy dog!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi new to this forum. I have a 6.5 month old english bulldog who has always refused to take walks on the leash. He will go outside and do his business in 2 minutes and then run back upstairs to the house. I try to make him go for a walk but he just plops down on the ground and refuses. Then I will wait there and try to entice him with treats and he may or may not move a little bit and then sit back down. This will go on for a while and I may get him out as far as 50 yards or so from the house and he will just try to bolt back inside. I've tried different collars/harness but it doesn't work. Keeping him off the leash is definitely better because he will follow me around but my apartment complex doesn't allow off-leash. Please help my lazy dog!!

Our Buster used to do this and still does sometimes. Have you tried using treats when you go out and coax him to follow you? Thats what really made a difference with us. It takes awhile but they do catch on. Welcome to EBN!!

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I guess you buy a doggie stroller! Sorry wrong answer😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie did that when she was a pup. We used treats to coax her and went a little further each time until she got used to it. When we taught her the command "come", it helped a lot because she knew what we wanted.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Dually will only go for walks if I take him and if Daisy is going as well. If the kids try to take him he puts on the brakes and tries to go in the other direction.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How about if you drive him to a park, or somewhere new and take him for a walk there? Sometimes, I notice my boy Finn will not be so ready to walk in our neighborhood…don't know why really, maybe he's bored(?). But as soon as we go somewhere new, like a different neighborhood, he's all excited and ready to walk. It will take time. If you can only go 50 feet one day then don't force it. Try again the next and see if he'll go further. Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol. I'm sorry I am no help here. I was reading this thread in hopes of finding the answer to that very same question. My male Bulldozer does the exact same thing, he has two problems, one he absolutely hates to walk, he will happily go out to pee and poop, but as soon as he's done, he pulls to go ack to the house. He refuses to walk down the complex, never mind going for a walk down the road. He flops on the ground and spreads all four of his legs out to the side, and just lays there. He's too funny and won't budge. Last summer my son and I took a walk to Tim Hortons to get a Iced Cap, and he refused to walk home, I had to call my husband to bring the car, because he wouldn't move. He's too heavy to carry home. His other problem is he's very skittish, afraid of his own shadow. He won't walk along a road, because the cars scare him, and he sits down and wants to pull to get away from the road. He's afraid of a lot of things, he's been like that since day one. His sister Blossom is the exact opposite, she loves to walk, and will walk for hours, I feel bad because I will take her for long walks, but Dozer I can't.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Do you have a friend, who has a dog? Perhaps if Carlos had a doggie friend to walk with-he might decide that it looks interesting..Or he might feel safer.(or think it's a good idea-especially if it's HIS idea!) Maybe he thinks the "bogie dog" will get him! I have a fenced yard-but if I try to take them for walks-they DRAG me!! The opposite problem!! :rundog:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with Lynn (manydogs).... Try with another dog, it might get him moving

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Bosco was exactly the same - he would sit down and refuse to move until I gave up and turned back towards the house. He seemed to hate the leash for the first several months of his life.

Only now that he's reached 8 months has he seemed to have grown out of it. Now he actually seems to like walks. I think it's a bulldog thing- just stay persistent and eventually he'll grow out of it.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
No help here, my kids are the opposite:tongue: Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome:peekaboo: It sounds by previous comments they grow out of it:)

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
My Agnes refused to walk at first. She wouldn't even walk with me if i offered her penut butter, which is her most high value treat. What finally motivated her was when she wasn't allowed to do exercise or stairs or jumping for a week after her spay surgery. I think after that, she was just so excited to move around that she didn't even care she was out on a walk.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Curly was really tough to get to walk on the leash and sometimes he still is. Usually when he is being stubborn, we can now walk a different direction to get him to come.

Treats didn't work for me because every time he saw a treat he would just sit (Curly has definitely mastered the sit lol). We use to take a tennis ball out with us And get him to chase it. We were even considering using a soccer ball at one point but he started to get the hang of walking.

Curly does love walking without a harness and leash - we took him to Yosemite and he had the time of his life. He did not want to leave (Pic of Curly at the cabin below)

I am happy to say that after about 3 months of struggling Curly goes on one 2 mile walk a day :)

Anyhow the best advice I can give is find something that interests him and he will go after. Treats, toy, etc.

za8u5yty.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Haha! Our new EB is doing the same thing - she will only go outside long enough to do her business and then runs back to the door to go back inside. Last time we tried to go for a walk I had her and our other dog who loves walks. Daisy plopped her butt down and refused to walk while the other dog looked imploring, then a little pissed she didn't get her walk. Daisy is just recently rescued so I'm still working on getting her healthy so I haven't pushed the issue but we are going to have to figure out walks soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.